Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

I noticed the other day that Rogers has increased the bandwitdh usage caps on several of its packages.

As an example: The Express package, that I subscribe to, used to be 60 gb/month is now 70 gb/month.  

When I noticed this, my billing period was going to roll over in a few days, so I checked MyRogers to see if my service level was increased, to my surprise, it was not.  When I called Rogers to ask about getting the 70gb cap, I was told I would have to upgrade my modem.  While I understand newer hardware is probably required for the faster speeds of the Ultimate packages, what I don't understand is why I need a new modem to attain the amount of usage that Rogers is offering.  In my current configuration I can "use" the internet just fine.

Has anyone else had this experiance, or get a good explanation as to why you need a new modem to get this level of service?

Looking forward to hear people's input/stories,

Styan

PS.  I did a quick speed test right after my call with Rogers Customer Support.  I achieved the full 18Mbps as advertised, on my Motorola Surfboard modem.

***edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

Rogers is just being plain miserable over this issue! The Motorola Surfboard modem is perfectly capable of achieving the 18 Mbps download speed and you are correct in that the type of modem you have has absolutely nothing to do with with your download limit. When I first got the SB5100, Rogers had unlimited usage!! I have been through the wringer myself on this one, but Rogers steadfastly refuse to provide the higher speed and cap unless I upgrade to a D3 modem. I would have no issues with this if they offered a decent D3 modem, but why should we have to pay extra for a modem that needs to be put in bridge mode so that you can use your own router in order to get a decent wireless connection?

By the way, your speed test result is due to Speedboost which provides a temporary burst of speed for the first 10 MB of a download or stream. As a result, the speed test is very deceiving!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

But isnt part of their sales thing.. that you HAVE to get the new D3 gateway to GET speed boost apparently?

I'm a Senior Advisor

No - Speed Boost is available to Rogers Internet customers regardless of modem!

I Plan to Stick Around

I actually have an older DOCSIS modem, and while it's not capable of receiving 18 Mbps, it would certainly be capable of using up an extra 10 GB usage cap per month!  How a usage cap can be tied to the modem is so utterly ridiculous. 

I spoke with a regular billing person who explained I needed to upgrade to the D3 modem as you said.  When I didn't accept that, I spoke to a manager.  The manager explained that it says in HER system that to get the higher bandwidth cap that you must have the D3 modem!  I explained that this information was not listed on the Rogers web site, an she said that "Rogers is not obligated to provide all the details on their web site.".  I said, "Excuse me -- but if I go to the Rogers Store, and I buy a modem that is listed as compatible with your service, and then I get that modem home, and I don't get the service that I'm promised, don't I have reason to complain??"  to which she said .. "I can't deal with what if scenerios"!!  It's absolutely ridiculous.  She then comes back and says "I see in your account that you're getting a discount on your rogers Internet service, so you ARE NOT paying the same price as someone else".   WOW.  Now the discount that I get from them is used against me!?  I said, "discount or not, I'm signed up for a service that the Rogers web site says I should be getting a 70 GB per month cap on, and I'm not getting that cap.  Isn't that false advertising?".  "I can't speak about false advertising", she says.  Finally, when I asked her how I could escalate this issue further since I did not accept her response.  She said "You are speaking to a manager already.  All you can do is talk to technical support for a further explanation".  I said, "and there are no further ways to escalate this!?".  She said "NO" which, while I have never escalated a complaint at Rogers, I know very well IS possible to do.  When I'm finished with my contact in less than a year for Rogers Hi Speed Internet, I'll be saying goodbye....!!

I've Been Here Awhile

I was on the grandfathered extreme Internet service with the sb5100 modem. 95gb a month at I think speeds of 18mbps max. I just upgraded my modem to a docsis3 and have seen no change in my speeds or bandwidth limit in my Rogers account page. I called tech support and did a speed test. I got 20mbps with a direct connection. The CSR told me the speeds were higher than express so that's almost like extreme! Are you kidding me, I pay for 28mbps not 20mbps. It's not even close
I'm a Senior Advisor

The CSRs are clueless. They have no idea what customer relations is all about!

I'm Here A Lot

Regardless of my speed showing the advertised speed being attributed to speed boost or not. I am still able to achieve that speed with my Surfboard modem.  I can also "use" the internet just fine with my modem.  So why do I need a new one.  Thats what I don't get.

Styan

I'm a Senior Advisor

The main benefit of switching to a D3 modem is channel bonding. With a Docsis 2.0 modem, you get one downstream and one upstream channel to transmit data on. If either of those channels are saturated due to high usage or there's data errors due to noise, then your connection will suffer certain stability issues. On a modem cable plant a D3 modem will bond to four or more downstream channels and two or more upstreams, thus spreading the bandwidth utilization over several potential transmitters (back at the head end). The problem with Rogers though is the lack of choice for D3 modems. They only authorize SMC or CISCO gateways and both them have terrible wireless in terms of range and dropped connections. Why they cannot offer a decent stand alone D3 is absolutely mind boggling. I too have no problems with my surfboard modem and plan to stick with it until Rogers comes to their senses, but since customer service is not a priority with Rogers, I fear we will be waiting a long time!

By the way Jason2011, the older D2 modems are perfectly capable of the 18 Mbps speed advertised for Express Internet. It is just that Rogers does not want to give it to us!

I'm an Enthusiast

I've read somewhere that the only reason they want you to change modems is to increase the monthly rental for it.