Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

I have found the same elsewhere.. back in college, i was forced with bell, only high speed option there.

This was around the time Windows2000 came out.

At that time, on 98, you connected to your bell modem with a specific piece of software.. there was no built in PPPoE adapter in 98.

For school, was running dual boot, 98 and 2000.  The 98 software would not install on 2000.  Called bell, they swore up and down, that it wouldnt work, and there was no technial other way to do it, it was impossible.   2 days later, farting around on my own, finding the built in 2000 pppoe adapter.. look im on.. and even ran faster too!.
Called bell back to let them know that it does work and how.... they continued to say it was physicaly impossible.  Even talked to a tech manager.. saying the same thing.

SO i asked for his email.. and sent him screen shots, of the connection showing live in 2k, and me sucessfuly sending an email in 2k 😛

Sometimes it amazine, with what is technicaly available out there.. how many companies are locked into old ideas and tech.

I've Been Here Awhile

Arrrggh... I just got off the phone with a CSR from Rogers and had to add my voice here.  It is unbelievable how they try to pawn off getting extra dollars out of their customers by throwing fraudulent technical statements at them.  In fact, I wonder if it would be possible to sue them for fraud...

They tried telling me the same thing about my monthly cap and how it is tied to my "old" modem which is the SurfBoard.  I asked to speak with someone who knew what they were talking about, but this one insisted that they knew what bandwidth means and that they had the technical manuals in front of them.

I tried to explain how caps are not tied to the type of modem, otherwise every month when I hit my 60GB cap my modem should stop working, but instead, they charge me $2/GB... so obviously I am going over 60GB with my "old" modem.

Reminded me too much of the CSR conversation I had regarding my TV bill when I used to have Rogers cable... they offered a "free" service so I took them up on it only to be charged $7 on my monthly bill.  When I asked why I am getting charged $7 for a free option they had the nerve to tell me, "It is free.  After you pay the $7, you get it free."  I really had no response to that...

Ugh.  This is how they treat a loyal customer???  I cancelled my cable TV with them already and now it looks like it will be my internet too.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Fortunately there are alternatives to Rogers Internet. Rogers speaks one language - it is called Rogers - AKA our way or the highway!

http://start.ca/services/highspeed

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the link IHR... I have been looking for alternatives for a while, but it is amazing how long someone stays in their "comfort" zone.  Since everything was working, I did not have the motivation to really change.  This month I gave Rogers two chances to keep me as a customer, and they essentially refused and for me it was the last straw.

I am tired of getting angry with CSR, especially when they are getting paid to follow company policy, so I know it is not entirely their fault and it leaves me feeling bad for getting angry with them.  But regardless, they should not treat us like tech-unsavvy moronic cattle money bags.

I have signed up with a cable alternative for my area.  If the service is good (and since it is on the Rogers backbone... why should it be different?) then I will be MUCH happier... less monthly cost, same through-put, and 300GB cap... which will feel like unlimited coming from a 60GB cap  🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

Adding my 2cents after yelling at Rogers for the last hour, to no avail!

The guy who answered the phone actually admitted to me that the modem was nothing to do with the bandwidth cap.

At first he tried the whole, "you need upgraded hardware to support" blah blah rubbish. I cut him off and told him I'm a computer security consultant for the police and not to bother trying to feed me that crap. I'm paraphrasing, but he said "we both know you don't actually need the hardware, but it's our policy". He said on his system he can do nothing about it. You need an SMC D3 modem and it's serial number needs to be in their database. So you can't even buy your own.

I got him to escalate the call and I yelled in vein at his boss for another 20 minutes. She too admitted that it was purely corporate policy to upgrade the modem. I was told, when I signed up I signed up for 60GB monthly allowance so I'm not entitled to the 80GB unless I upgrade the modem, as per their policy. I told her it was ****, but she didn't budge. I told her I was leaving Rogers and she said that was my prerogative.

So much for the customer is always right.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers also has the CISCO3825 model which apparently can be rented but not purchased. It is a slight improvement over the SMC, but you still need to be prepared to put it into bridge mode and use your own router. 

I'm Here A Lot

I finally caved and picked up the Cisco 3825 gateway. I have it running in bridge mode. It's doing it's job.
I've Been Here Awhile

$7 a month for a modem seem rather expensive don't you think?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@JohnSmith798 wrote:

$7 a month for a modem seem rather expensive don't you think?

Don't forget, you are not getting just a modem, but the router too - even if the router does not work properly and you end up having to use your own router!!

I've Been Around

Yes I have the same experiences and the marketing trying to convince me this is required because of the technical limitation of my current modem and when he knows I am network engineer and there is no relation between BW and Usage he has changed his voice to tell me this is a part of package.