cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

Styan
I'm Here A Lot

I noticed the other day that Rogers has increased the bandwitdh usage caps on several of its packages.

As an example: The Express package, that I subscribe to, used to be 60 gb/month is now 70 gb/month.  

When I noticed this, my billing period was going to roll over in a few days, so I checked MyRogers to see if my service level was increased, to my surprise, it was not.  When I called Rogers to ask about getting the 70gb cap, I was told I would have to upgrade my modem.  While I understand newer hardware is probably required for the faster speeds of the Ultimate packages, what I don't understand is why I need a new modem to attain the amount of usage that Rogers is offering.  In my current configuration I can "use" the internet just fine.

Has anyone else had this experiance, or get a good explanation as to why you need a new modem to get this level of service?

Looking forward to hear people's input/stories,

Styan

PS.  I did a quick speed test right after my call with Rogers Customer Support.  I achieved the full 18Mbps as advertised, on my Motorola Surfboard modem.

***edited labels***

87 REPLIES 87

Re: Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

karcs
I've Been Here Awhile

Arrrggh... I just got off the phone with a CSR from Rogers and had to add my voice here.  It is unbelievable how they try to pawn off getting extra dollars out of their customers by throwing fraudulent technical statements at them.  In fact, I wonder if it would be possible to sue them for fraud...

They tried telling me the same thing about my monthly cap and how it is tied to my "old" modem which is the SurfBoard.  I asked to speak with someone who knew what they were talking about, but this one insisted that they knew what bandwidth means and that they had the technical manuals in front of them.

I tried to explain how caps are not tied to the type of modem, otherwise every month when I hit my 60GB cap my modem should stop working, but instead, they charge me $2/GB... so obviously I am going over 60GB with my "old" modem.

Reminded me too much of the CSR conversation I had regarding my TV bill when I used to have Rogers cable... they offered a "free" service so I took them up on it only to be charged $7 on my monthly bill.  When I asked why I am getting charged $7 for a free option they had the nerve to tell me, "It is free.  After you pay the $7, you get it free."  I really had no response to that...

Ugh.  This is how they treat a loyal customer???  I cancelled my cable TV with them already and now it looks like it will be my internet too.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Fortunately there are alternatives to Rogers Internet. Rogers speaks one language - it is called Rogers - AKA our way or the highway!

http://start.ca/services/highspeed

karcs
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the link IHR... I have been looking for alternatives for a while, but it is amazing how long someone stays in their "comfort" zone.  Since everything was working, I did not have the motivation to really change.  This month I gave Rogers two chances to keep me as a customer, and they essentially refused and for me it was the last straw.

I am tired of getting angry with CSR, especially when they are getting paid to follow company policy, so I know it is not entirely their fault and it leaves me feeling bad for getting angry with them.  But regardless, they should not treat us like tech-unsavvy moronic cattle money bags.

I have signed up with a cable alternative for my area.  If the service is good (and since it is on the Rogers backbone... why should it be different?) then I will be MUCH happier... less monthly cost, same through-put, and 300GB cap... which will feel like unlimited coming from a 60GB cap  🙂

jjdacl
I've Been Here Awhile

Adding my 2cents after yelling at Rogers for the last hour, to no avail!

The guy who answered the phone actually admitted to me that the modem was nothing to do with the bandwidth cap.

At first he tried the whole, "you need upgraded hardware to support" blah blah rubbish. I cut him off and told him I'm a computer security consultant for the police and not to bother trying to feed me that crap. I'm paraphrasing, but he said "we both know you don't actually need the hardware, but it's our policy". He said on his system he can do nothing about it. You need an SMC D3 modem and it's serial number needs to be in their database. So you can't even buy your own.

I got him to escalate the call and I yelled in vein at his boss for another 20 minutes. She too admitted that it was purely corporate policy to upgrade the modem. I was told, when I signed up I signed up for 60GB monthly allowance so I'm not entitled to the 80GB unless I upgrade the modem, as per their policy. I told her it was ****, but she didn't budge. I told her I was leaving Rogers and she said that was my prerogative.

So much for the customer is always right.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers also has the CISCO3825 model which apparently can be rented but not purchased. It is a slight improvement over the SMC, but you still need to be prepared to put it into bridge mode and use your own router. 

Styan
I'm Here A Lot
I finally caved and picked up the Cisco 3825 gateway. I have it running in bridge mode. It's doing it's job.

JohnSmith798
I've Been Here Awhile

$7 a month for a modem seem rather expensive don't you think?

@JohnSmith798 wrote:

$7 a month for a modem seem rather expensive don't you think?

Don't forget, you are not getting just a modem, but the router too - even if the router does not work properly and you end up having to use your own router!!

Hany
I've Been Around

Yes I have the same experiences and the marketing trying to convince me this is required because of the technical limitation of my current modem and when he knows I am network engineer and there is no relation between BW and Usage he has changed his voice to tell me this is a part of package.

tigeraid
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been on the Extreme plan for a very long time... And I noticed the other day that the cap is listed as 120 gig right on Rogers' site... But mine is 95, as it has always been.  Should I not have been upgraded?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes you should have been upgraded, unless of course you are still using a D2 modem, in which case you are on a grandfathered plan. If you have upgraded to a D3 modem, Rogers may still not give you what you are entitled to unless you phone customer care and make sure they bump your plan to the newer one.

Not only that but when you upgrade your D2 modem to a D3 gateway, Rogers will not tell you about how many people are experiencing dropped connections and and poor wireless range. They will not tell you how many customers need to have the gateways placed into bridge mode so that they can use their own router, despite being charged an extra $3 per month for a useless built in router. 

Finally, Rogers will not tell you that the Motorola SB6180 is a superb 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - a standalone D3 modem which Rogers will not authorize on their system!

tigeraid
I Plan to Stick Around

Go figure.  Maybe I should just stick with what I have then... 😞

While IHR, is pretty much correct, dont let it stop you either.. there are options, that work, with the new devices.

Are you currently running with your exisiting setup, your own router?

By using the new gateway, but putting it in bridged mode, it does effectively turn it just into a modem, where you can use your own router like currently.
This would allow you to gain the speed and bandwidth caps, that you get with having that device.

The majority of the problems with it, stem from using the wireless on it.  If you are bypassing using that, not many people have issues otherwise.
(there is some stuff going on with hourly drops, but that can happen both the gateway, and regular modems from what i have been able to research, so its not gateway specific.. its an overselling issue or something)

I have been running a similar setup (i actualy have the gateway still as a gateway, but just ITS wireless off, and my router as an access point, not a router), and it has been working flawlessly, for close to a year.  Not a single drop, and have the extra speed/caps.  Alot of it in the end, comes down to AREA i think.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Agreed Gdkitty! I was only trying to make two points. The first is that you do not get the higher speeds and usage allowances without upgrading to a D3 modem. Many customers are unaware of this and this policy is leading to a lot of unhappy customers when they find out.

Second, many customers will upgrade to a D3 modem because they want the higher speeds and usage allowances. Rogers will not inform them that there have been problems with the D3 gateways, particularly with regards to the wireless component. Yes there are ways to solve these problems, such as placing the gateway into bridge mode, but Rogers will not tell them that either. So unfortunately, many customers go for the D3 modems thinking that it will work as well as their previous modem, when often times it does not. This of course creates many more unhappy customers, as evidenced by the numerous posts out there regarding the D3 gateway modems. It is unfortunate that Rogers will not provide a solid D3 standalone modem such as the Motorola SB6180. 

As an aside, these options should not be necessary Gdkitty. Rogers is charging an extra $3.00 per month for a gateway modem. You should not have to look at the options to get the wireless component to work as it should. Quite simply - you should be getting what you pay for! In the case of the D3 gateways, you are not!

I am not arguing that fact IHR.

But for now, until rogers changes things and allows other devices or offers a D3 modem.. all we can do is inform them of what their current options are, weither keeping lower rate plan with a D2, or switching to a gateway, and what their setup options are with it

jshebib
I've Been Around
thanks for the posts, this is very informative and helped me make a decision about my extreme service.

chris_s
I've Been Here Awhile

I was on the old Extreme service and it was very stable. When I discovered that they had increased the limit I called them to find out why I hadn't been upgraded. I then went through the same song and dance as everyone else. I purchased the old modem so I wasn't happy about the fact that they were forcing me to junk it in order to get the increased limit. I followed their procedure and escalated up the chain to the Office of the President. They eventually gave me a deal on a new SMC modem so it made it less expensive to switch. The SMC modem was very unstable. I had to reboot 4 or 5 times per day. I eventually returned the modem and got a new one and that one's been working like a charm. We're in a 2 storey house with 4 computers and we aren't having a problem with the connection from any of the machines. The modem is placed in a strategic place on the first floor so the signal doesn't have to go too far to any of the machines.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Your the 2nd or third that has said they swapped the smc and its been fine, mine has been fine from the start, when recently swapped.
I'm wondering if some newer firmware or something has made them more stable.

preheatedKD
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

I recently contacted customer support & cancellation to try to get my bandwidth increased. The people I spoke with both said that I needed to rent a new modem for $7/month to have my bandwidth cap increased (I'm not talking about download/upload speeds). 

Does this seem right to anyone that you need to switch modems to increase bandwidth cap? I don't understand because they're able to charge me when I go over my limit for the month.

Please Advise if anyone knows if there is any truth to this or not?

preheatedKD
I've Been Here Awhile

Just spoke with someone from the online chat. Turns out the product code from the modem is needed to upgrade the service.

Marky
I've Been Around

For a whole year in 2010 I paid Rogers about $100 per month for everyday-average internet because of their ridiculous bandwidth caps. NEVER AGAIN! I had no choice at the time

I ditched Rogers when I moved and switched to teksavvy. Now I've moved again into my grandfathers house (he's in a nursing home) and his house is entirely hooked up with Rogers (phone, internet, and tv).  The most convenient thing to do is just keep everything as is and just upgrade the internet (assuming I can get something at least mildly similar to the competitors) so I called today just to see if they'd smartened up over the last year but it doesn't seem so.  I took a look at what my grandparents were getting and I just laugh. First of all I hit the bandwidth limit after 3 days just from youtube!   Smiley Very Happy

I can't believe anyone would volountarilly live this way. It's insane.  I just had to cancel my Teksavvy account at my last house today and I told them I'll most likely be starting a new account here. For the last year I've had a 300 gb limit for exactly $53.05 every month and haven't had to call them ONCE!  The speeds are supposedly a little bit slower but I hardly noticed.  What's the sense of having lightening fast internet when they threaten to charge you $5.00 per gb every time you go over?

Just the fact that my bill is the same price every month and I don't have to call them is enough to make me switch. Factor in the fact that they don't gouge you for bandwidth and there's no contract and it's a no brainer.

Today when I called Rogers I asked if they had relaxed their bandwidth policies and the girl said I could upgrade to a higher package. Something like $63 (which I'm sure probably translates to over $70 when the bill comes) for 150 gb's. I tried my best to explain reality to her and she said that their "system doesn't allow them to give people more bandwidth". I guess Rogers is run by a Matrix-like computer master. lol.  

It's like talking to a wall! I guess they have the excuses dictated to them and merely regurgitate what they're told to say but it's very annoying.

In the last year I have gotten 4 people to switch and now I have the privelage of calling up and cancelling all the Rogers services for the entire house of a lifelong customer (my grandfather).

When customers are actually making sacrifices just to be able to rid themselves of your services even on principle alone  then you really need to rethink your business model.  

As far as I'm concerned Rogers and Bell are holding Canada back (and holding us hostages) technologically. I'm certainly not going to support them.