Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

I too have had this conversation with Rogers a few times in the past couple of weeks. When the letter was sent out earlier in the year that prices would be increasing, but we would now have 70 gb of downloading it never stated that you needed to upgrade the modem. Very misleading, but not surprised.

My contract is up Jan 2th , 2013, and goodbye Rogers.....

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

You can escalate this further actually, on their webpage there's a contact us and make a complaint option where you can reach the office of the president if you did all the previous procedures, which you obviously did. She's just trying to con you for her own convenience.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

(Data use) Bandwith has nothing to do with modem it simply dowload speed x time downloading online. SB5100 data rate is 32Mps. They simply want to take advantage them bulk buying and force us to upgrade at their profit. These modems were available for all but the highest now available till recently. Bandwith cap has only to do with how mus dowloading etc one does. Got the same BS when I complained or tried to update.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

This must be Rogers gift to Bell Fios, don't need buy modem, no bandwith cap, comparable rates with higher upload speed for gamming, video conferencing etc. Not by choice I have no love bell express or cell but worth trying. Rogers decision. Oh yes Rogers also does not mention. if you update there's an additional $2.99+tax for Digital Services Fee. For what???
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@terrymaz wrote:
Oh yes Rogers also does not mention. if you update there's an additional $2.99+tax for Digital Services Fee. For what???

There is no digital services fee on Internet. The digital services fee of $2.99 per month is applied to digital cable. On the other hand, Rogers does charge a monthly rental fee for D3 modems of $7.00 per month compared to only $4.00 per month for a D2 modem. Perhaps this is what you were thinking.

You are perfectly correct though in that bandwidth use has absolutely nothing to do with what type of modem you are using. I remember the days when Rogers had unlimited bandwidth usage and I was using the same D2 modem that I am still currently using. Bandwidth limits were brought in because Rogers (like Bell) simply saw another cash cow in the making!

The D2 modems are also perfectly capable of at least attaining the 18 Mbps speed advertised for Express. But Rogers is simply using the higher advertised speed and bandwidth allowance as an incentive to get customers to switch over to a D3 modem and of course charge that extra $3.00 per month for the new modem. 

I still do not understand why Rogers will not authorize a stand alone D3 modem. There are a number of good ones out there and since so many customers must provide their own router anyway because the quality of the wireless is so poor on the gateway modems, this would only make sense. 

I've Been Around

That is exactly correct - I just got off the phone with a manager and she said that I need another modem that would be 

compatible with the extra download 60-70.  I rent and pay $4 per month for the modem I got 7 years ago and the new

one would cost me 5.50 a month.  I said why should I pay that  extra charge for that 10 gig?  She said that if I signed 

a new contract for a year she would give me 20% off my internet fee of 48.99?  I said let me talk to Bell first and see 

what they think? She told me the deal may not be their when I call back  and I said I will take my chances.  What a 

racket!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While im not an expert on these, the costs to manufature them, etc..  I can understand the slight increased cost to rent the newer modem... newer technology.. might cost more to make, etc.

Compare it to you have a lease on a honda civic.. is costs you 250 a month.

Its getting old, and you want something with a few more features.. here is the Accord, one model up from it.

Do you expect to pay the same 250/m lease on the new one?  No, it would be slightly more money a month.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

While im not an expert on these, the costs to manufature them, etc..  I can understand the slight increased cost to rent the newer modem... newer technology.. might cost more to make, etc.

Its getting old, and you want something with a few more features.. here is the Accord, one model up from it.

Do you expect to pay the same 250/m lease on the new one?  No, it would be slightly more money a month.

To some extent, you are correct. When you upgrade from a Honda Civic to a Honda Accord, you are getting a bigger and more expensive car with more features. The problem when you move from a Rogers D2 modem to a D3 modem is that, while some features are an improvement, the dropped connections and poor wireless range are actually a downgrade, so the analogy is not 100% correct! I resent paying more money for the garbage that Rogers is now providing!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@IHR wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

To some extent, you are correct. When you upgrade from a Honda Civic to a Honda Accord, you are getting a bigger and more expensive car with more features. The problem when you move from a Rogers D2 modem to a D3 modem is that, while some features are an improvement, the dropped connections and poor wireless range are actually a downgrade, so the analogy is not 100% correct! I resent paying more money for the garbage that Rogers is now providing!

But as the modem part.. it works fine.  Its just the wireless.. .i have never had a drop otherwise with it.

Soo.. i guess it would be more like, getting that accord, which had a sunroof.. but it only opens 1/2 of the time 😛

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:
But as the modem part.. it works fine.  Its just the wireless.. .i have never had a drop otherwise with it.

Soo.. i guess it would be more like, getting that accord, which had a sunroof.. but it only opens 1/2 of the time 😛

LOL! But that is my point Gdkitty! If the sun roof only opened half of the time on my Accord, I would be taking it back to Honda until they made it work properly. The problem with Rogers is that they have a product that is not working properly (the wireless component) and they are doing nothing about it! Customers are complaining and Rogers is not listening! So customers are resorting to forums like this one to air their complaints and find a possible solution! It really is pathetic!