cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

Styan
I'm Here A Lot

I noticed the other day that Rogers has increased the bandwitdh usage caps on several of its packages.

As an example: The Express package, that I subscribe to, used to be 60 gb/month is now 70 gb/month.  

When I noticed this, my billing period was going to roll over in a few days, so I checked MyRogers to see if my service level was increased, to my surprise, it was not.  When I called Rogers to ask about getting the 70gb cap, I was told I would have to upgrade my modem.  While I understand newer hardware is probably required for the faster speeds of the Ultimate packages, what I don't understand is why I need a new modem to attain the amount of usage that Rogers is offering.  In my current configuration I can "use" the internet just fine.

Has anyone else had this experiance, or get a good explanation as to why you need a new modem to get this level of service?

Looking forward to hear people's input/stories,

Styan

PS.  I did a quick speed test right after my call with Rogers Customer Support.  I achieved the full 18Mbps as advertised, on my Motorola Surfboard modem.

***edited labels***

87 REPLIES 87

Re: Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor
^^^

That and make a modem gateway that works as advertised and works as well as the older modems.

@jays77 wrote:
^^^

That and make a modem gateway that works as advertised and works as well as the older modems.

In my experience, the gateways in bridge mode work fine (just like the old Motorola standalone D2 modems). Or at least, my DPC3825 and CGN3 have been fine, same with my parents' CGN2. I have no experience with the SMC or the D2 gateway.

(The NAT/wireless functionality of the gateways is another story. But did any of the older gateways ever have usable NAT/wireless functionality? If anything, the CGN3 seems to be the least broken of them...)

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@VivienM wrote:

@jays77 wrote:
^^^

In my experience, the gateways in bridge mode work fine (just like the old Motorola standalone D2 modems). Or at least, my DPC3825 and CGN3 have been fine, same with my parents' CGN2. I have no experience with the SMC or the D2 gateway.

(The NAT/wireless functionality of the gateways is another story. But did any of the older gateways ever have usable NAT/wireless functionality? If anything, the CGN3 seems to be the least broken of them...)

The point I was trying to make is that you should have to put it in bridged mode and purchase a router.  One of the reasons I like the modem I have is that it is small and I with limited space I don't need an independant router.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats the one main point that denys me from saying its the PERFECT solution.

That its a device, which you could

A) use as a gateway if you dont want extra hardware, take up space, etc..

B) but CAN make into a modem if you want to use your own 3rd party stuff.

Unfortunately.. the wireless, etc.. is not quite up to snuff.

ALL in all, as a ROUTER, the CGN3 is actually pretty good, feature wise, etc.  Problem is the range, etc on the wireless, while BETTER than other models, is still not great.

If they could make a gateway, with say the performance of the ASUS or netgear nighthawk routers?  they would sell them left right and center.

Topic Stats