Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

welkad:

Just curious, after cancelling Rogers which ISP you are switching to?

I Plan to Stick Around

Has anyone heard if a usage increase is coming with the August 24 rate increase?

Check this out too
stopthecap.com/2013/07/25/rogers-admits-charging-more-for-your-internet-accessusage-is-where-the-big-money-is/

I find the bandwidth cap question much less relevant nowadays. Rogers gave everybody the opportunity to convert their plans to unlimited bandwidth plans for either $10 or $30 more a month. For people who can really use that bandwidth this is great opportunity and great savings as well comparable to massive overage fees. Anyone who did not upgrade to unlimited doesn not seem to be needing unlimited internet that much and should be fine with capped plan. 

Ten dollars is not too bad for unlimited bandwidth, but unless you have the required three services with Rogers $30 + plus monthly fee + tax is IMO quite pricey.

Also if you have a modem that works quite well and no need for higher speeds, why should you have to pay more for a new modem just to get 20-30gb more bandwidth.  If they can track and charge for going over the allotted band width, it should be a simple matter to charge a modest amount for going 20-30gb over what your plan presently allows. Instead of the  $2.50 - $4.00 per gb they now charge lower the cost to something like. $1/10gb.   Extra bandwidth, reasonable cost and you get to keep your present plan and modem.

I Plan to Stick Around

an ISP that will go the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@welkad wrote:

an ISP that will go the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction

I can only assume you are not talking about Rogers! Smiley Wink

It is actually amazing that Rogers has both very competent helful reps and completely clueless ones. I had several times a pleasure of talking with very knowledgeable reps who were quite knowledgeable and helpful. But they are really rare, unfortunately...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

it's not the rep(s) I have a problem with. it's the company's policy to force their customers to swap modems when the customer does not wish to do so. I realize that there are benefits to using the newer modems, but this should be done on a voluntary basis and not on a "my way or the high way" mentallity.

I Plan to Stick Around

now that I was forced to upgrade to a newer and faster modem, guess what!? my bandwith usage has increased proportionately...bunch of crooks run this company, always looking for ways to make more money.

welkad:

Your usage is not suppposed to increase only because you upgraded the modem. I did upgrade modems many times and never experienced such an issue. If you didn't change your usage pattern I suggest investigating for the purpose of malware, viruses, somebody else is using your wireless, etc.