Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

I have had Rogers Hi Speed Express for 13 years. It used to be unlimited. When a 60GB limit showed up the capped me from unlimited to 60GB. Now they upped Express to 80GB. I said if I deserved to be lowered I also deserve to be raised. Tech support has declined my request caue SUPPOSEDLY DOCSIS 2.0 doesnt support cap adjusting. What a poor excuse and lie.

The DOCSIS 2.0 standard does allow capp adjusting thats how you capped me in the first place.

Second of all dont assume Im stupid just because Im your customer and outright lie to me.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You are correct. 

There is no PHYSICAL reason there couldnt be a higher cap on a D2 modem.

Rogers had descided, that they want to get parts of their network upgraded.. and part of that is moving people to D3 modems.

I have talk to countless reps... they are not lieing to you, when they say they cant though.
Again, not a limitation thing on the hardware, etc...  The way the system is coded.. the 80g cap plans, can only be added, when there is a d3 modem on the account.
its not something they can overide, etc.

Unfortunately, these are the options we have.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Funny. if i pay for it they can add it to the D2.

I feel ripped off.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you pay for what?

If you are on a D2 modem, you are paying for the GRANDFATHERED plan (at whatever speed), and not the newer ones on the site.. they have different plan codes in the system.
To add the plan codes for the ones on the site, you need a D3.

I'm Here A Lot

Rogers is just being dishonest about this.  No matter how the "codes work in their system" or whatever...

When I called to inquire about the higher bandwidth caps, they said it was a technical limitation of my modem and I'd have to pay $7/month to rent a new D3 modem (which they then charge me $8/month for). It's clearly not a technical limitation at all, and just an easy excuse to get more money from customers. 

There are much more honest and customer-focused companies out there, which is why I'm leaving Rogers and taking my business elsewhere.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@leavingforgood wrote:

Rogers is just being dishonest about this.  No matter how the "codes work in their system" or whatever...

When I called to inquire about the higher bandwidth caps, they said it was a technical limitation of my modem and I'd have to pay $7/month to rent a new D3 modem (which they then charge me $8/month for). It's clearly not a technical limitation at all, and just an easy excuse to get more money from customers. 

There are much more honest and customer-focused companies out there, which is why I'm leaving Rogers and taking my business elsewhere.

Of course they are being dishonest. Sure they have their stupid codes which prevents them from doing certain things but the simple solution would be to create additional codes. Rogers does not want to do this. There is no technical limitation whatsoever of adding additional bandwidth to any modem you might have - D2 or D3 - except for the technical limitations of the trained monkeys who work for Rogers. It is illustrated very well when you exceed your bandwidth and Rogers is quite willing to charge you additional fees yet cannot add more bandwidth due to technical limitations! ROTFLMAO!!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I was told when I signed up 3 weeks ago, that I can pay an extra 10.00 per month to have unlimited DL, current limit was 500gb. I just got a warning that I have reached my 500gb limit as of today. Whats up with that?  I have to call them.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The $10 thing, is something different, its their unlimited internet plans-addon, per say..

There are the normal plans, with normal caps.

Until the 31st (at least for now), you can sign up, for an extra $10 a month, and get unlimited. ($10, based on if you have cable and phone with them as well)

But this is something that you have to CHANGE your account to specificaly, its not an 'if you go over' thing, its a set extra amount every month.

Its not really an  add-on per say, it actualy changes your plan, to a X+10 version of the same old plan.

Give them a call, and they should be able to add it on for you.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I wish I had an alternative in my area. There is none. It's Rogers or the highway.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I was FORCED to upgrade my modem in order to get 20GB more of bandwith limit per month (same download speed). My new modem shut down for two hours the day after I installed it. My friend is on his third one already. As soon as my contract expires, good bye ROGERS for ALL of my services.