Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Bandwidth Caps Increased; Need New Modem?

Just spoke with someone from the online chat. Turns out the product code from the modem is needed to upgrade the service.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

For a whole year in 2010 I paid Rogers about $100 per month for everyday-average internet because of their ridiculous bandwidth caps. NEVER AGAIN! I had no choice at the time

I ditched Rogers when I moved and switched to teksavvy. Now I've moved again into my grandfathers house (he's in a nursing home) and his house is entirely hooked up with Rogers (phone, internet, and tv).  The most convenient thing to do is just keep everything as is and just upgrade the internet (assuming I can get something at least mildly similar to the competitors) so I called today just to see if they'd smartened up over the last year but it doesn't seem so.  I took a look at what my grandparents were getting and I just laugh. First of all I hit the bandwidth limit after 3 days just from youtube!   Smiley Very Happy

I can't believe anyone would volountarilly live this way. It's insane.  I just had to cancel my Teksavvy account at my last house today and I told them I'll most likely be starting a new account here. For the last year I've had a 300 gb limit for exactly $53.05 every month and haven't had to call them ONCE!  The speeds are supposedly a little bit slower but I hardly noticed.  What's the sense of having lightening fast internet when they threaten to charge you $5.00 per gb every time you go over?

Just the fact that my bill is the same price every month and I don't have to call them is enough to make me switch. Factor in the fact that they don't gouge you for bandwidth and there's no contract and it's a no brainer.

Today when I called Rogers I asked if they had relaxed their bandwidth policies and the girl said I could upgrade to a higher package. Something like $63 (which I'm sure probably translates to over $70 when the bill comes) for 150 gb's. I tried my best to explain reality to her and she said that their "system doesn't allow them to give people more bandwidth". I guess Rogers is run by a Matrix-like computer master. lol.  

It's like talking to a wall! I guess they have the excuses dictated to them and merely regurgitate what they're told to say but it's very annoying.

In the last year I have gotten 4 people to switch and now I have the privelage of calling up and cancelling all the Rogers services for the entire house of a lifelong customer (my grandfather).

When customers are actually making sacrifices just to be able to rid themselves of your services even on principle alone  then you really need to rethink your business model.  

As far as I'm concerned Rogers and Bell are holding Canada back (and holding us hostages) technologically. I'm certainly not going to support them.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While yes, there is no technical limitation which would prevent the higher cap, currently to get the higher caps, you need the higher modem.

Mostly I think it's to get more people on the newer technology, so they can do other upgrades as well

With this new modem, you do get a speed increase, as well as the extra bandwidth. In the end, the rental fee increase for an average of getting +20gb, is cheaper than 20gb of overages

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Gdkitty is correct. There is no technical limitation whatsoever to giving you a higher bandwidth with the D2 modems. And as far as the product code from the modem being needed to upgrade the service, this is garbage. If Rogers wanted to upgrade your service they could - all they would need to do is create the appropriate code. It is amazing the things they tell you in order to coerce you into switching! 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Congratulations Marky. This whole bandwith affair had me up in arms as well. I  planned to make the same moves to TeckSavvy until Rogers offerred me a 2 year discount. Let's see the state of affairs at the end of those 2 years.The decision will still be mine. Bell and Rogers are obstinate in holding on to a duopoly which must not be allowed to stand.

Ham4.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Feb 20 2013. I was offered Extreme Plus 80Gb of data for a total of 200GB with 35Mb Download and 3Mb Upload for $46/mo. This package is gauranteed for 8 years and includes the modem rental. My current Express Package allows 60GB but as of Nov 2012 the limit is 80GB. I haven't ever gone over the 60GB limit but if I had I'd be asking them for a rebate. I was told this promo is available until the end of March 2013 for new and existing customers.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There may be a bunch of changes upcoming.

Currently till march 31st (may change after that), you can get an adding for unlimited usage.

$10 if you have home phone and tv as well, $30 If you don't.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for those of you complaining about 150gb bandwidth caps when 90% of the country (area wise) is stuck with NO option for Cable/DSL and have to resort to 10gb / month + $10 per gb over through wireless or painfully slow satellite.   It's not like I am in Nunavit, I'm less than an hour outside of Toronto!!

That's the sad reality of High Speed internet in this country..  not moaning about 150gb for $50-60.   it's like a 3rd world nation. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

would be nice, if the could offer the unlimited addon for internet, to the wireless internet users as well.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am not holding my breath but I'd be happy with a more reasonable limit.. heck even 50gb would be nice. 

It's a cash cow for them and they have us where they want us with no alternatives available. 

Rogers Wireless Internet costs ~$60/10GB and ~$90/20GB plus the $10 / gb for any overage if you are on one of the Hubs, I can't see the cost of delivering this service being that expensive and the infrastructure (cell network) is already there.