Bandwidth Caps Are Not Accurate At ALL Its A Scam!!!!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Bandwidth Caps Are Not Accurate At ALL Its A Scam!!!!!

I have to pipe in on this but GDkitty is sounding more and more like a rogers employee everyday. I monitor bandwidth through the router so all devies are tracked. Now windows updates being stuck thats a load of BS and applications that steal massive amounts of bandwidth.... i keep my machine clean and if rogers knows all of this information about your computer how are they deducting this port scanning? network capturing? again not so legal.

its agian all smoke and mirrors they are tossing around a number plain and simple and you have no way to check what your using against them more people need to complain and people who are measuring are seeing discrepancies.

As i have said before the CRTC needs to grow a pair and stop this immediatly as rogers is defrauding their users using extra charges plain and simple. they prey on the people who are less knowledgable and who will go away after a explination or theory or two.

Or get them to police their networks like some demented network admin.

The fact that they can also adjust content in html and you see this in when the bandwidth alerts on your homepage... question to we pay extra $$ for the data thats included in the warning as well. as well as all the adds plastered over the email portal as well.

Its all just a great way to gouge you

But the charging for data coming in and out of your machine including bad packets is plain right nasty.

its all a throwback to corporate greed.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you would like, i can scan and email you my paystub from where i work.  I am FAR from an rogers employee.  Please do not accuse me of being one.

I have never said anyone it WAS one particular thing.  But it CAN be.  Thats why people need to check and illiminate those things out.

THere have been at least two cases on here, one mac, and one PC, where it WAS that updates were stuck in a loop. I am a sys admin, i work on PCs and networks all day.  I have seen it happen on one PC here.  It IS possible.  Is it what happens in every case? No, but you need to make sure that its not either.

ANY data that is transfered across rogers networks.. COULD they view it? No, but they have logs, of every request made through their network.  Source and destination reqests.  This requires NOTHING special to do, and most higher end hardware based networking devices have this built in by default.  They need this data to track and make sure INCASE something has gone wrong.

I got an email from rogers once, that something in our household was spamming out mass amounts of spam emails.  Low and behold, something got by my wifes AV.  Couldnt see it going on, but on deep cleans, found the sucker and removed it.  But how did they know and were able to email this? Red flags comming up on the logs of the data being sent out of the house.

There are COUNTLESS ways, that a person could have extra usage.  Untill you illiminate ALL those possibilities, they are just as much a possibility, as rogers overcharging.

I am not saying, that it is not possible for rogers to overcharge.. not at all. BUT, you must iliminate ALL possibilities first.

IF you can illiminate all possibilities, then you have  your proof that rogers is doing something wrong.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

ok on a related note here is an interesting article on the skullduggery that is going on thanks to the CRTC.

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/02/05/how-much-does-bandwidth-actually-cost/

some incredible markups on data costs....

We need laws to protect consumers from this... if the CRTC want it to be a utility then fine lets have price controls after all you cant hike Hydro prices by 3900% can you....

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It would be a REAL quick way for everyone to swtich to green energy on their own, if they did 🙂
They can do hydro price increases.. its gone up every year 😞  But, not that %.

Thank you for sharing the link

Interestingly enough in that article.. while it does say that their should be more open-ness on the cost/mb in general, and that the providers should then have to post WHAT they are charging for it...

Allow you to shop around for the best rate, etc.. like you would on your car insurance, etc.

It doesnt touch on the big issues thats been around for a while... the WHY having data caps.
Even with that ruling going through.. sure you can shop around for the best prices, but you could still be stuck with data caps 😞

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

On another note, my issue was my router.

I changed back to the cisco and my usage is back to where it was.

I came w/in .78g of my limit thank god or I'd be asking for every 50c back from overage gigs.

NOW I can finally watch shows again.

It's been a boring boring few days.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Also, because it's been driving me nuts, Kitty, the word you are looking for is "eliminate" not illiminate.

I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi, it's just seriously been driving me nuts and perhaps you would feel appreciative to know.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am like the worst speller in the world..  my wife corrects me on stuff ALL time, even in text messages 😛 I am usualy 3 sentences ahead of where i am typing in my mind usualy, so i tend to do alot of stuff like that.. its not intentional.. i know what the word is, what it means, etc... just my fingers seem to do their own translation of what comes out sometimes 😛 Sorry that it bothered you.

Anyways, back to your issue

Just reading back to remember all the details. So you were on the cisco gatway.. then switched to the SMC, and thats when the usage went up?  But its back to normal with the cisco..
Something must be flakey with the gatway..
I am running the SMC.. and as i said before seems accurate. (checked last night. 2.6g usage.  Watches 1 HD movie, one 30 min show on netflix, normal usage, played wow for 1.5 hours.. so thats pretty much correct).

If it had been account based, would likely have been happening either way.

Glad to hear you got it resloved.

Guess in the troubleshooting steps for other users.. worth a try swaping the modem out (even if for the same model), to see.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yup. That's exactly what happened.

Funny too since everyone at the roger's store said they had nothing but problems with their Cisco and their SMC actually works.

I replied with 'well I believe you're giving me my 5th router so I don't think I have luck with ANY router really'

They wanted to turn my internet off for 24 hours to do a test on it, I can't really accomodate that so I went with this other option which thank god turned out to be the issue.

It's good to note that you don't need permission from anyone to trade your router, so if anyone feels that could be the issue, just take it back and exchange it.

At least, that's how it works for mine which is RENTED.

For those that bought, sorry don't know if it works that way for you.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, as long as its rented, you can just go in and swap swap swap as long as your the account holder.. could do it every day if you wanted.

i DO understand their 'turn it off for 24 hours thing'  It actualy something i recomend as step in troubleshooting issues like this. Why?
Again, proof if something wonky is going on.  IF its off.. there can be NO usage on it. IF there is usage on the account, you know something is up.

BUT, that is not an easy option for some, especialy if the internet is used for business.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Exactly.

I work from home so I was not about to take a day off right now.

I usually save pains like that for when I have to go back to the office for a week and leave my husband high and dry lol.

Both times I've sent my computer back was when I was at the office and he was booooored

I'm so mean.