Bandwidth Caps Are Not Accurate At ALL Its A Scam!!!!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Bandwidth Caps Are Not Accurate At ALL Its A Scam!!!!!

im in the same boat this month

it states im using consistently around eight to nine gigs a day when a more acurate  number would be four to five

there were some days it said thirteen to sixteen and its just not possible

my internet usage has not changed for months and months

and here i am about to hit cap for the first month because the numbers lie

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

i will add that the bad numbers began around when i switched to this new smc router

could this have anything to do w it?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While its totaly possible, my numbers are accurate within probably less than 100mb, and I am using the smc

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Seriously getting pissed off with this.

Yesterday, clocked in at about 3.75gb.

Rogers says 8.3gb.

I can't physically stream 4.5gb of stuff on my vita.

It isn't possible.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Kdubovik, How are you monitoring your usage?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

bitmeter.

Last time I was getting pissy about my bandwidth usage, I started using it and it was accurate.

Of course, at the time, I realized that I was accidentally watching netflix on HD.

Now, it just doesn't match up.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The catch with Rogers usage limits is it counts as both information sent to and received from the internet. So if you're uploading videos to Youtube, live streaming content to Twitch TV or another such service it'll count towards your usage. Also make sure there isn't any background programs (Anti Virus, Steam, EA's Origin platform, etc) that can attribute to the over usage as Rogers sees it. Plus playing multiplayer games over wifi or the internet can account for that as well.

Rogers is also offering a few things to help you out with your limits. Offering a bandwidth cap removal for an extra $10/month. If you have the 250GB usage limits and constantly getting 75% I would personally recommend it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just took a look at that software.
So its a PC based monitoring software.

Now, do you only have the ONE PC connected to the modem/router? and no other devices that connect to it in any way/form?

That software, while good, will only monitor the throughput of that one PC, not the whole network.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

kitty, i did state that rogers is trying to indicate im streaming over four gigs on my vita which is the only other device accessing internet and it is NOT possible to do by browsing pages and watching the occasional video.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, i did miss that part, im sorry.

But what i said is not incorrect.  The software on the PC, would not record ANY usage from the vita in its numbers at all.
Only true way, would be to have something at around the router level (a ddwrt router, etc)

That is a large discrepency.  You have left your wireless off for a day or so, just to check? just to illiminate the chance of someone else being on it. 

Part of my job is network monitoring, etc and even myself at home, have had people break into my wifi.  Just trying to illimate all possibilities here.