Bandwidth Caps Are Not Accurate At ALL Its A Scam!!!!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Bandwidth Caps Are Not Accurate At ALL Its A Scam!!!!!

The rogers reps.. they need a complete overhaul... re-hire of most of them, etc.. many of them are not tranied far enough, give miss information when they dont know the answer, and sometimes are outright rude.. or dont do what they are asked to do (ie the cancelation).

ALWAYS when dealing with an issue like this, with ANY company, get the persons name and the ticket/transaction number.. so you KNOW They had to enter something in.

As for the overage..  it could be a mistake.. its possible.

But, as you said in your own post, about an attack/comprimise.  Unfortunately, even if this was the case?  Its on the USER.  Its not rogers responsibility to make sure the PC is secure, etc... ANY usage from your end, weither by your choice or not, is your responsibility.  This is why its important for proper security, wireless security, dont let others on your network, etc.

This can even stem from something as simple as one rogue service or something like a windows/mac update/download.  I have had that happen myself.  Had to over days, systematicaly go device to device, adding one, till i found the culprit (i formated, and it went away).

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

ok so got my cut and paste reply from the CRTC and they say Blah Blah Blah.... file  a complaint with the CCTS more waste of time and nothing happens. so i now hit 100% of my 250gb download cap.. and i only used just over 120gb..... its a big scam no matter which way you look at it.....

Ever get the feeling your chasing your tail.

I Plan to Stick Around

All internet is a scam in North America. Go look up basic plans in Europe and you will see how much of a scam it really is. A huge lack of big company competition here allows it, and if you think the CRTC will help keep dreaming they are all paid off by Rogers and Bell...how do you think we got into this situation in the first place.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Has rogers provided any information on how they collect or couunt the data?

Are they couting all packets of data even the ones that are lost on bad connections?

I had a good convcesation with another techi and he says that systems count data differently some count all packets of data sent to your modem and some only count the packets that are good.... but this still does not explain the large amount of data missing.

Can anyone from Rogers Explain how the information is counted and collected and does this include good/pad packets can they tell the difference.

And does this include the Adertisments on Rogers Email when you check your email via the web?

Lots of questions and not many answers....

HELLO ROGERS!!!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is there an official answer? No.  That is one of the things being pushed through the CRTC now, a formalized unit of measure that all ISPs etc have to use, etc.

As for what is tracked?  Everything.  Good packets, bad packets... everything.

ANYTHING comming into or out of your connection, is counted.  So even a DDoS attack against you, could count against your incomming.
If you leave your browser open on your PC for a day, on a page like the rogers email, or MSN, etc.. where is has rotating adds, etc... you are charged for all the usage as it rotates and downloads the new adds to show, etc.

This is how many people sometimes go over their usage, especialy with mobile based internet (on phones, and/or rocketstick type devices).. they dont realise, how even loading ONE webpage, can load ALOT of data suprisingly (we are not talking GB here.. but a simple say facebook page load, could easily use up 5mb or more, just from all the images, adds, etc.)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So they are counting Bad Packets of Data that's ridiculous so I'm paying for data i didn't receive as a bad packet gets rejected.

Why am i not surprised rogers are starting to look more like criminals in my eyes.

So no one knows how or what they are measuring does this sound a little bit stupid. That the CRTC would alow them to impliment this i think we need a NEW CRTC thats indipendant and calls the shots and opens up for competition. Then we may see services improve and prices drop..

I find it more stupid that the goverment would alow this when no one knows what they are measuring did this question not come up?

Where are the Watchdogs that keep an eye on the Corporate Thieves and thats what they are plain and simple.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As i said, they ARE working on implementing something that requires proper measurement on this, its just not implemented yet.

It is not just rogers.  ANY place, will count ALL and ANY data push/pulled/sent/received/requested.  That there is bad packets of data, usualy happen along its route from where the data is to your PC, its often not even rogers fault that the data is now bad.  But you still requested it.

I work with commercial grade routers and managed switches.  It will track EVERYTHING going through it in the totals.

Unless you were 24/7 trying to pull from somewhere with continual packet loss.. the AMOUNT of usage that packet loss would account for? Less than one limage loading, you wouldnt even notice it.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hey all... something to consider. Be careful of what programs you download. This crap happened to me several times. Many a time when you download a program esp. non-mainstream programs or free programs they tend to require you to add extra apps or add-on programs. You dont notice it right away but many run in the background of your browser using up your internet bandwidth!! I downloaded some program months ago and it requested me to add on a free app (forget what it was) but was in a shape of a little tv icon on my desktop so I could view certain video files. Lo and behold I kept seeing my usage going up and up and like yall, kept getting warning messages about over usage. I also, had freakin convo's with rogers tech reps and billing department and couldnt get to the bottom of it. Then checked the system screens showing programs running in the background. I saw that dumb tv icon thingy and immediately shut it off and deleted it, uninstalled. BOOM!! The daily usage suddenly dropped by 40%. This thing was uploading data to nearly 400-500mb every friggin day. My downloading data was correct but uploading was nuts. I usually avg 50-60 mb upload daily and now nearly half gig. That adds up to an extra 15-20gb/monthly; hence causing the overage. Many social media apps also run in the background like twitter, tweetdeck, messenger, chat programs and many others. You may not know but many are left running in the background unless you check the settings not to... this is something yall need to check. May sure you check the settings and make sure you "uncheck" the running in background function or not to have them start up at windows initialization when your puter/laptop hits the "on" button daily. This may not solve everyone's issues but it could help explain why come of yall are getting unusually high bandwidth usage over 3-4 hrs a day or less. For example, I left my tweetdeck app on over 6 hrs as that was the same time my laptop was on. Checked the daily usage next day. The upload usage read 688 mb!!!The total for that day was like 2.4 gb. This was from 1 app. Now if you had 3-4, 5 or more apps runnning imagine the bandwidth usage daily?? Easily reach 1.5-2 gigs/day.  This crapfest adds up fast. Hopefully this helps explain some of yall's overusage. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your bang on correct PAC.  This is why i always say have to illiminate stuff out of the equation.

A stuck winodws update which is continualy loading could cause it.

ANYTHING that is left running, that is re-loading data will use up some.  Say even having MSN messenger, the YAHOO homepage.. it sits there, reloading adds all day.. that will use up data.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just wanted to say that I have had a similar problem. I was with Bell for at least a year and I had an 80 gig plan. In two years I never even once came close to going over my usage.

I signed up for Rogers three months ago with 160 gig plan, thinking that I would never need that much bandwidth. First month, I came close to going over the bandwidth, second month I came even closer, this is the middle of the third month and I already only have 5 gigs of usage left. The only thing I can think is the counter is not working right. Some days it says I have used up to 20 gigs which is ridiculous. I don't download any media. I do stream some video but not enough to explain over 100 per cent more bandwidth usage than with Bell.

I also am certain that no one is piggy backing my internet.

Judging by the massive amount of complaints in forums this is probably a wide spread problem

I cancelled my service and will be filing a complaint with the CRTC.

Thanks for the post.