Bad Routing to Twitch.TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Bad Routing to Twitch.TV

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to report some bad routing I was getting to Twitch.tv (a popular game streaming service).

It seems other users have had similar issues in the past.

On the download side, the website works fine and I can watch streams at high bitrates without issue, but on the upload side, things are extremely bottlenecked to the point of unusuability. The rest of the internet works normally and speedtests come back without issue.

Here's a traceroute screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/JwwIqlB.png

Just wanted to make a post. I called technical support but it was difficult to even find anyone who knew who to transfer the call to on this subject.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Bad Routing to Twitch.TV

Hi @nft2

Sorry to hear about your issues with using twitch.tv.

What type of modem are you currently using and how long have you had this issue with this website?

Anyone else in the community have similar issue with Twitch.tv?

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Twitch.TV is an amazing all round streaming service. But I only download...
No experience in uploads, could be multiple variables involved?

@nft2 as @RogersPrasana asked, what modem are you using?
What package of internet do you have? (I assume it's the new ignite).
Do you also use your own Router? Could it be a port issue?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I have one of the new(er) Cisco DPC3825s, and I've been having this issue since last Thursday. I doubt its a port configuration issue, as I've successfully streamed in the past. I did try the usual power off/and on, though. Connections to the rest of the internet act normally (on both the upload and download side). Similarly, I stream at a 2000kbps bitrate, which SpeedTests confirm my connection should be able to handle (and like I said, I regularly stream at this speed and there is no issue).
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just curious WHAT internet package you have??

That you have the cisco.. on the last two sets of plans.. have not been allowed for the most part.. (partily on the last, not at all on the newest)

Many of those older packages.. (especially if you are on the express/extreeme, etc packages) they did have a VERY limited upload speed period..

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Yeah, Express and Extreme used to have very low upload. and SpeedBoost doesn't help uploads much just the first 5-10 seconds.
With older modems, I assume you also could have Hybrid Fibre 30 or perhaps 60.

If you were one of those customer who activated Hybrid Fibre 60 at a early age, they let you use the old modem. If that's the case. I recommend upgrading your internet package and Ignite packages are cheaper for you (and modem price is included so upgrading your modem wouldn't cost you anything). It's worth a look. I don't know what package you have but rogers putting out IGNITE packages changed the game for uploaders a lot.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey guys, Thank you for the replies. I couldn't remember what package I had, but your posts jogged my memory. Its the extreme package. I'm aware the upload is not substantial on this package, but as I mentioned- I've been able to stream regularly before last week easily and with bandwidth to spare at 2mbps (speedtests confirm the upload pipe is 3.2mbps, and sometimes more, depending on the time of day). I may just run a VPN in an attempt to fix these issues. That should also clear up if they are bandwidth-related. Thanks again for your replies and assistance.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

May want to take a look at the newer plans, worth at least a comparison.

Unless you have a deal.. i think your paying around $69 + modem rental?
The new closest equivelent.. is $65 including modem rental.  
Same usage cap.

Its a drop down to 30mpbs down, but a raise up to 5up.. for $5 or more less a month.

A VPN would at least show if its purely a bad routing issue.  Good idea

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay, after having gotten the VPN running and having had the same connections issues, I now realize I was mistaken to have called this a routing issue, though the traceroute seemed to tell the tale, I should have taken a more precise metric on my upload speed before arriving at that conclusion. I wrongly assumed that because other internet browsing seemed normal, that my only issue was with Twitch. What has actually happend is my entire connection is throttled down to about 1.5mbps. I ran some file transfers to a server I have set up on Amazon Web Services and the connection struggles to get above ~180 KB/S upload. The Extreme package apparantly has 3mbps of "peak" upload speed, which I imagine is what I was getting prior to last Thursday. As I said, I stream at 2mbps bitrate and I don't think that is so greedy that it would be considered "lucky" that I had enough bandwidth to stream prior to that (at least 10 different weekends with no issue). Curiously, speedtests still peg my upload speed at much closer to 3mbps, but obviously that is not the case in practice. I've temporarily tethered my phone (on a 4g connection) and the problem is completely gone with more than enough upload room to spare, confirming that this is a problem is not with this particular computer I'm using, but rather the network (likely either my Modem or with my account). I've reset it but nothing has changed. I suppose I'll be giving Rogers a call tomorrow night. Thanks again for your time everyone, sorry to send you down the wrong path.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok.

Could be an issue with provisioning or signal then, on your upstream channels.

Are you able to log into the modem, and get the DOCSIS WAN signals?