Bad Input Lag When Gaming

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Bad Input Lag When Gaming

Hi community,

I play World of Warcraft and have had bad lag when playing over the last couple weeks.  I'm using the new Hitron Advanced Wifi Modem from Rogers (LAN connection to my computer). I called a Rogers tech support and all they did was reset my router, but the problem persists.

At this point, I'm willing to entertain suggestions as to possible problems/solutions.  Here's a pathping test I ran last night to one of the game servers.  You'll notice a packet loss at hop 0.  That doesn't sound very promising o.O. Thanks.

=================

Source to Here   This Node/Link
Hop  RTT    Lost/Sent = Pct  Lost/Sent = Pct  Address
  0                                           XXX-PC.vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [192.168.0.10]
                                3/ 100 =  3%   |
  1    0ms     8/ 100 =  8%     5/ 100 =  5%  vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [192.168.0.1]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  2  ---     100/ 100 =100%    97/ 100 = 97%  7.18.96.1
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  3   13ms     6/ 100 =  6%     3/ 100 =  3%  24.156.150.197
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  4  ---     100/ 100 =100%    97/ 100 = 97%  so-5-0-3.gw02.mtnk.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.129]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  5  ---     100/ 100 =100%    97/ 100 = 97%  69.63.248.89
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  6   27ms    12/ 100 = 12%     9/ 100 =  9%  tengigabitethernet6-2.ar8.nyc1.gblx.net [159.63.51.41]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  7   43ms     3/ 100 =  3%     0/ 100 =  0%  192.205.33.245
                               97/ 100 = 97%   |
  8  ---     100/ 100 =100%     0/ 100 =  0%  cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.132.158]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  9  ---     100/ 100 =100%     0/ 100 =  0%  gar6.ipsin.ip.att.net [12.122.132.241]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
 10  ---     100/ 100 =100%     0/ 100 =  0%  12.122.251.18
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
 11  ---     100/ 100 =100%     0/ 100 =  0%  63.240.130.206

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Bad Input Lag When Gaming

0 on that list, is your DEVICE, your network card/pc.

the next one is the gateway.

I'm Here A Lot

i recently moved to an area where Rogers was the only real high speed option. I recently signed up for the Extreme 35 / 3 package and have been having slow connections for both streaming video and PS3 gaming. I have the Cisco DPC3825 (which i switched to bridge mode after the first month of poor wireless quality) connected through a NetGear WNDR 3700. The streaming video is a bit of a problem, but the gaming issue is the major problem for me. Whenever i connect to play IE: Black OPs 2, Ghosts... i get a jittering connection that i can see on the screen while playing and a noticable lag. I have my PS3 set up on a wired connection with a static IP in the routers DMZ. 

Speed tests on various sites show that i am getting the 35/3 speeds that i am paying for but sometimes my ping and quality of service is all over the map.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues ?

I have read that Rogers was caught some time ago throttling gaming and streaming connections but that they have sinced stopped, is this true ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The throttling that they were doing, only effected 'torrent' based packets.. so downloads for games, etc that used that..  Didnt directly effect a game, unless that was what the game was using.  Games like WoW were effected.. not sure what else.

That has since been removed.  I have not seen it happen once since they removal.
Same goes for torrents..  before, they worked.. but rarely went over maybe 60k/s.
Now.. i have got over 6mbps on one torrent.

So that, likely isnt the issue.

So its either more internal/local... say just bad signal... or something that is in the whole area that is having the issue... like congestion, etc.

Does this happen at specific times of the day? or random?

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for te reply...

I think it seems to be happening all the time, but  generally if i try to play online its at night, between say 7pm to 12am...i forgot to mention in my original post that it may also be affecting my televisions. I have been having trouble with all of my Next Boxes ( 1@ 3.0 & 2 @ 2.0 ) where some channels come up with a message like " channel not available ", when i told tech support about it he told me that could be caused by signal issues but instead just replaced the box.

I live on a small court with only about 8 houses but i guess that doesnt mean we are not tied into a larger group in the surrounding area that could be causing congestion

My PS3/ Network setup is solid and worked perfectly for me before on Bell DSL on a package with 1/4 of the advertised speeds the only thing different now is the Rogers feed.

Is there a way for Rogers to test / show my service connection quality if i contact them ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They can do SOME tests remotely.. when its in a poor time.
But, if you have the TV having issues like that.. yeah, more than likely.. it IS a signal issue.

Best bet, would be to call in, and get a tech out.
First thing, would be for them to fully test the house (they SHOULD have done this when doing the original install.. but often dont).
Make sure the signal at the street, outside the house, inside the house, at each outlet, is OK.

As long as that is all ok... that means that its more a STREET or area problem.. which is a little tougher.. as its something that has to be done by MAINTENANCE.. which is harder to escalate to.

I've Been Here Awhile

on monday april 14 my area had strong winds.  My router is working fine when i browse the web but when i play video game on my pc or console I get lag spikes.  I have never encountered this problem before until now.  My pc and and video game consoles are wired and port forwarded.  Only my ps4 and ps3 are dmz'd and i have open nat.  I called rogers multiple times about the situation and they are saying that that my connection is fine but it is clearly not and they blame the games i played to be the issue.  I played multiple games to see if its just only one game thats causing the issue turns out all of them lag spike.

When I play black ops 2 on pc usaully my ping is around 60ms-100ms but now my game will spike up to 999ms once in a while even left 4 dead. The model of my modem is DPC3825.      

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you able to do ping tests and traceroutes to some of the effected servers?

The traceroute will show if its Rogers or external where generally the issue is.
The ping should show if there is packet loss.

May be worth having a tech out, if something happened to the lines there since mon.

I've Been Here Awhile

i was only able to do a ping test with google.com beacause i can't find the ip addresses of the servers video game servers i connected to the game does not show you when i ping google i got timed out 5 times in a row.  However whats strange to me is that right now i just hooked up my wifi to my computer and played some games and i didnt experience any lag spikes.   

I've Been Here Awhile

I have contacted them more than once and they said that there is nothing wrong i even asked if them to do a scan of the area where i live and they said that everything is fine. Im using wireless right now and from what i see i only lag spiked once but when i connect wired it does it consistantly