cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU SWITCH TO PREPAID FROM WIRELESS

kimnguyen1008
I've Been Here Awhile

I had wireless rogers for more than 3 years.  I had been very happy about services that Rogers brought to me. Until the recently occured incident which makes me very upset.

I called Rogers in May 2015 to cancel my service due to travelling. At that time, my account balance is (-56.14) which was supposed to given back to me by cheque if I cancelled my service at that time.  

The representative suggest me to switch to Pay As You Go so that I can still keep my phone number. I agreed to her suggestion.

Now, I am back to Canada (September 2015). (1) my account is cancelled. (2) my balance (money) is gone. (3) I lost my number. I called again. They said the reason is because my number is not in use for a period of time, so it's automatically cancelled, and the balance is expired because it's Pay as you go.

If I was informed I would have rejected the rep's suggestion and go ahead with cancelling to get my money back. I feel like being tricked and so upset with Rogers right now. 

So anyone who has any plan about travelling or switching to prepaid account, please be aware of that term. 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU SWITCH TO PREPAID FROM WIRELESS

lockdown2341
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

You should address this with someone immediately. I'm not sure why someone would even suggest that if your phone wasn't going to be in use. In fact what should have been offered is a temporary suspension of service in order to keep your number. There is probably no way you can get your number back but I'd at least try and see if you can get your money back.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

lockdown2341
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

You should address this with someone immediately. I'm not sure why someone would even suggest that if your phone wasn't going to be in use. In fact what should have been offered is a temporary suspension of service in order to keep your number. There is probably no way you can get your number back but I'd at least try and see if you can get your money back.

View solution in original post

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @kimnguyen1008,

I apologize for the negative experience you had. I’d like to help in getting your issue resolved. Addressing the issue you’ve described involves accessing your account. I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps, when you receive it please check our messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

Thanks!

RogersHassam

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@kimnguyen1008 that does not sound reasonable at all. I can go a month ot two without using my Paygo and it doesn't get cancelled. How long were you away? What was the length of your Paygo plan? If it was not renewed before it expired, then you would lose your balance.

I have a basic $100 plan that's good for a year and talk and text is deducted from the balance. when I first got Paygo, there were plans from $10 to $50 advertised I think, for up to 6 months for the most expensive one. The $100 one was not advertised and I found out about it by word-of-mouth. That's the one I ended up getting because I didn't even use $100 worth of minutes a month, so it worked out to $8.33 a month plus tax.

Exactly which Paygo plan did Rogers sell you? I'm thinking with a $56 balance, you ought to get 6 months, but looking at all the Paygo plans here they're so confusing they make your head spin and I still don't see my basic. They all look like monthly plans ranging up to a whopping $80 a month. It looks like a snake oil salesman's bag of tricks designed to up-sell unsuspecting customers who just want a basic plan for emergencies.

As for your number being given away, that happens faster than it ever did in the past because the cellphone thing is growing so fast they have to keep inventing new area codes and exchanges. 'Local' numbers are more desirable because people don't want to call ones that look like they're long distance.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

kimnguyen1008
I've Been Here Awhile

I traveled for a total period of 9 months. From December 2014 to May 2015, I put my phone on suspension. In May 2015, I called to cancel. I do not remember which plan Rogers put me on to at that time. After changing to PAYGO, I was not provided with account number hence I couldnt see the status of my phone anymore through my Rogers. 

Thankfully, Rogers contacted me. I got my number and my money back now.

Thank you for your concern and suggestion. $100/year sounds great. I will definitely call to check on that one.  

Thanks for updating the Community @kimnguyen1008!

It was our pleasure to assist you and we apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused again!

For further assistance in regards to your prepaid plan, please contact our Pay-As-You-Go department at 1-800-575-9090.

To reach a representative please choose option 4 then option 4 again. At the end of the information on how to contact Rogers, you will be given an option to speak with one of our agents (option 1).

RogersMaude

Wow, you were able to get your number back? You are very lucky. That doesn't always happen. Great job to whoever got this resolved.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Calling the 1-800-575-9090 number as suggested by @RogersMaude is the best bet.  That way you can ask for exactly what you need without having to wade through all the confusing plans.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 5 in conversation