BBM messages and text msgs

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

BBM messages and text msgs

I have unlimited text messaging. If I am in Europe and I BBM users in Canada, would I be charged for roaming?

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: BBM messages and text msgs

Hello trestrail

If you have a Rogers SIM card and never added a data travel Pack and roaming is on, then yes. Unlimited Texting is only for Canada unless the plan says world wide. I would highly suggest turning DATA and Roaming off and using WiFi when accessible.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Let me quickly expand on Meowmix's correct reply.

If you're in Europe, you're using data from a European carrier's cell towers.  Yes, you may have unlimited this and unlimited that but that's in Canada on Rogers's network.  Now that you're in Europe, you're using other carriers' networks and they would like compensation for that.  When you purchase a data roaming package, as mentioned by Meowmix, you're signing up for an agreement whereby Rogers will pay their European carrier partner for you to use its network.

I've heard horror stories or people who have journeyed abroad and have returned home to HUGE data charges.  My advice is to tack on a data package before leaving, even if you're planning on using Wi-Fi because you can't be in a Wi-Fi zone the entire time you're there.

Cheers.  🙂

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I was in Europe in the spring.  I called my husband using BBM voice using the wifi at our hotels.  Didn't cost any extra!!  Was awesome.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jonesy14

It is isn't it! All you need is WiFi and you are set!
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@trestrail wrote:

I have unlimited text messaging. If I am in Europe and I BBM users in Canada, would I be charged for roaming?

It is unfortunate but to get a travel pack from any Canadian carriers, will cost you an arm and a leg.

Your safest (and cheapest) bet is this:  

• Get your phone unlocked. You can do that either here in Canada or at your destination. If you are here in Canada and you still in contract, your carrier will not unlock the phone - but tere are plenty of cell phone shops that do that. The price will vary depending on the phone you wanna unlock
  • At your destination, just walk into any store (Vodafone, T-Mobile, Orange, etc) tell them you are visiting and want a SIM card for your phone. The prices are very reasonable for prety much any plans. If you require a mini / micro SIM card for your device, you`ll be charged a bit more. After you choose your plan, the SIM will be placed in your phone and the sells agent will activate your SIM. 
  • If, by any chance, your phone is locked, they will unlock it for you, (if you want - but if you don`t, then you can`t use your phone with a different SIM card)  in the store, right there and then - for a fee, of course

I had a trip last year to Europe and this was the easiest and cheapest way for me to keep in touch with friends and family here in Canada.