BB 9900 battery strength

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

BB 9900 battery strength

I am not sure if any BB 9900 users have noticed, the battery life of this device is pretty short.  One day without talking on the phone, just used the internet browser and installed a few apps, the battery strength from full to close to half way gone (60%).  I turned it on arount 10:30am and it was 60% left by around 5:30pm.

Is that normal? Not sure if RIM has a stronger strength battery for this phone.

******* Edit labels ********

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: BB 9900 battery strength

This is normal for all the new OS7 devices. The Bold 9900, Torch 9860, Torch 9810 die fast. Not as fast but fast. They use a smaller battery in which dies faster. You can turn down the brightness & also use 2G instead on using 3G / H+ ( HSPA+) when not using the phone or when not going on the internet. Go into Options - Network & Connections - Mobile Network - Network Mode. You will see there the switch & all.  Turn off Wi-fi if its on because that takes up battery as well. Also when you are downloading apps or updating them it does take usage from the battery also.

You may want to download Battery booster & that will help you with battery life. Once i did all this the battery lasted me an extra 2hrs.

Also remember the Bold 9900 is a touchscreen as well. The touchscreen takes a bit of battery as well.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the advise Meowmix.  I have downloaded Battery booster pro from appworld.  Will see if that will make some differences.  Thanks for the other tips too.  I will look into turning some off when not in use.

I wish RIM will make a bigger battery for this phone which I will definitely purchase.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

You are welcome :). Yea I & many others wish the same as well. Most likely with the new BB10 devices they will add a bigger & longer lasting battery. Even the other type of phones with longer battery they die pretty fast as well.

Your welcome. See if that helps. That is the only solution at the moment from what i have read & done my self. Really the only thing you can do is just bring the charger with out when at work or going on a long trip. I take my blackberry charger with me at work when i work long shifts.

I Plan to Stick Around

That is a good idea Meowmix.

I have a "fast" charger which charges my BB pretty fast.  That will be the solution for this battery for now, I guess.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I have that at my work as well in the office. This is the only thing that we can do until Blackberry puts a higher mAh battery in the phone. The battery the Bold 9900 is a Li-Ion 1230 mAh. For a bold 9900 it should have been higher then 1500 mAh.
I've Been Here Awhile

Uh, if you're talking about a Playbook charger or a Kobo charger, careful.

The reason it charges the phone so fast is because it uses a much higher amperage than the phone charger.  Careful, it might blow your phone's battery or at least reduce the battery life..

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@gjrchristie wrote:

Uh, if you're talking about a Playbook charger or a Kobo charger, careful.

The reason it charges the phone so fast is because it uses a much higher amperage than the phone charger.  Careful, it might blow your phone's battery or at least reduce the battery life..

Some good advice, however I'm happy to report that many people whom I know successfully charge their phones with the PlayBook charger with no ill effects.  I wouldn't touch the Kobo charger or any other non-BlackBerry charger, but as far as the PlayBook charger on a BlackBerry phone, it appears to be alright.

Thank you for your post.  🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

many reasons for why the 9900's battery life is not as spectacular as one might hope.  Firstly, OS 7 is a big machine to run and the 9900 is BlackBerry's thinnest phone to date.  A thin phone equals a smaller battery which equals less power.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Also you want to add the Bold 9900 has a touch screen & it uses H+ ( HSPA+) data which takes power from the battery as well. One other thing is that like you said, OS 7/ 7.1 is a huge update. Its made for the phone but the battery is small in which will result to die faster.

My Bold 9900 dies just after 14 hours of heavy use.
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation