Avoid NetBox II Until They Get It Fixed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Avoid NetBox II Until They Get It Fixed

Going to NetBox II was the first time I ever regretted going to some new equipment from Rogers and i can't recommend too strongly that you avoid it for the time being.

The sales people are misinformed about the way it works and they misrepresented it to me. If I'd known the truth before I agreed to take it I would have said no. All I can do now is advice over people to say no. The other posts here complaining about the problems give you some idea of how bad this system is, so be warned.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Avoid NetBox II Until They Get It Fixed

What do you beleive you were miss informed of? 
I have had it from day one, and everything i have read up on it from adverts, etc.. it says it does.. so it might just have been those sales people that were wrong 😞

While i do agree, the new IPG is not PERFECT.. it can use some fixes and tweeks... there are still bugs in the old IPG i can compain about as well.

While do agree, the general majority of people on this form have the same view as you, not all do.  And even so.. its not necessarily TRUE statistics.
How many people actualy have the new IPG of all rogers users?  How many of them like it? How many of them dont but just dont say anything about it?  The % of people on here are possibly only a small % of the overall users... really without any official statisitics, we dont really know.

But in the end, i agree.  People should know whats good, what needs work on it.  It may not be the right choice for everyone.  But some people may find that they actualy like it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Its hilarious how some people on these boards are determined to take Rogers' side on everything and try and make posters who voice their problems appear to be unreasonable and complainers.  They all seem to have "I am not a Rogers employee" as their signature.

That aside, the OP is absolutely right.  The salespeople are grossly misinformed which is clear if you read the various posts here.  We had 2 PVRs and were told we had to switch over to the Whole Home PVR setup to avoid a rate increase as our contract was expiring.  We were told flat out that everything would remain the same, we would not lose any features and that we would be able to record the same amount of programs as we did before, just on one box for the whole house instead of two.  This of course was untrue as they were replacing 2 PVRs with 1 but even when we called back after it was installed we were told that it should record 4.  After over an hour on the phone they finally confirmed with someone in a different department altogether that they were wrong and that it only recorded 2 for the enrire house which is when we had them remove the whole thing and went back to our original setup, only we were forced to keep the one netbox.

It is still unbelievable to me that they haven't fixed the manual record a program function.  If you want to record a show at 8pm you MUST set that recording at a time beforehand at an exact interval of 30 or 60 minutes prior.  You can't create a recording at 5:23pm you have to wait until 5:30pm or 6:00pm as it doesn't allow you to choose/enter the exact time but instead gives you 30 minute options from the current time!  To think that nobody noticed how poorly this was programmed and that they still haven't fixed it is a complete joke.  Add to that the laundry list of problems others have mentioned on these boards and the fact that we have to reboot the thing multiple times daily and its clear why these boards are full of people talking about their issues with the terrible hardware. We aren't asking for anything new, we just want the features that the old hardware provided.  It is called an upgrade for a reason, the Netbox is clearly not an upgrade.

I would love to see the apologists who "do not work for Rogers" try to explain the manual recording fiasco.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In my post above, i fully agreed, that some things needed to be fixed.  All i had said.. was that not EVERONE has the negative opinion.. for anyone else comming and viewing this thread.. to see that not EVERYONE hates it.

They have that in their posts.. so say that they are not a rogers employee.. but they may still like the product feature.  Many people assume that when someone posts a "But i like it, its good" that they are a rogers employee in disguise or something.  They are regular people like you and me, posting their opinion or information on the topic.

Generaly, i do agree, that many of the sales people are not infomed correctly.  I often know more than they do.. and alot of that is just from personal research.  
They were correct, that yes with the nexbox whole home, you could watch on any tv, that that functionality would be there.. but yes, you can only record 2 shows now, half the storage of having 2 boxes, etc.

Now, one thing that they also didnt say to you, is you can still have the whole home pvr set up, with two PVRs. The system supports up to two PVRs, and 6(i beleive) other boxes.  So you could have two of the pvrs, and wach back and forth between them and other boxes.

I think i am confused about what you are trying to do.  If you are on the guide screen.. and dont want set up anything special.. you just want to record say ABC at 8pm (dont want to set up re-occuring, etc), just move so that that box is highlighted, and hit the record circle button on the remote.  This will schedule this channel at that time to record once.

Same goes, that your on a channel, its say 12 mins into the hour show, and want to record whats going on durring the rest of that recording.. you should be able to i beleive just hit the record button while watching, and it records to the end of that show. (or you can do it from the guide just the same)
Your trying to go into the guide, clicking ok on it, and schedule it that way?  Sorry, i may be completely wrong in what your trying to do.. but hopefuly the above helps.

As for the having to reboot.. that seems to be a split.  There are a bunch of people who report the same thing.  But there are many others, while they hate the guide or love it.. DONT have to reboot.
I have had it since day one of the whole home PVR.. and i think i have had to reboot it twice.

I Plan to Stick Around

I was talking about creating a manual recording.  You used to be able to do it very easily with the old software.  Select manual recording, it would allow you to enter the channel using the number pad on the remote and it would give you a start and stop time where you could manipulate what hour and minute you wanted to start and stop a program with the arrow keys.  It was basically a similar setup seen on VCRs for decades.  On the new guide you can only select a start and stop  time from a predetermined time which starts in 15 minute intervals (I was mistaken in my previous mention of it being 30 minutes but it doesn't make a difference) beginning from the current time.  If the time is now 4:52pm I can only start and or stop the recording at 4:52pm, 5:07pm, 5:22pm, 5:37pm, 5:52pm, etc.  I have to wait until 5:00pm sharp in order to set a recording that starts or stops at 8:00pm or 9:00pm for example.  The channel select button is preset to channel 1 and only allows you to scroll, you can't use the keypad.  If you want to record on channel 500 you have to press the right arrow button 500 times.

This is a perfect example of what people are frustrated about.  Has anyone at Rogers ever even tried to use this feature?  I can't imagine anyone trying and not being dumbfounded by how amateur this is.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, I understand what you mean now.

Although I don't think I have ever used it that way, and I have had a pvr since they first offered it. I guess I never found a need to, since just about everything I need to record, would be based on what's on the guide, so can do it the regular way.

I would guess MOST people don't use it that way, so it may not have come up as anything major wrong. BUT I do agree, if it was more flexible in the old, why not match the settings on the new.

I Plan to Stick Around

I didn't really use this feature before because the old guide used to allow you to edit a program before recording it whereas the new one does not, another feature we can add to the list that is missing in the 'upgraded' hardware/software.  Say for example that I want to tape The Colbert Report from 12:35am - 1:05am and I also want to tape two different shows from 1am - 2am.  What I would normally on the old software is tape The Colbert Report and edit it to stop recording at 1am as the last 5 minutes are commercials and the show close and credits.  This would allow me to tape the two shows I wanted at 1am without a conflict.  I can no longer do that with the new guide, I can just tape the show and can not edit the start/stop time other than to tape it for x extra minutes.  As a result I now instead want to create a manual recording from 12:35 to 1:00am but I can only do that under the ridiculous time constraints outlined in my earlier post.  I understand that it is not a feature used by many but it is another feature that used to work fine that no longer does.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah, i see what you mean.  I guess it only comes into effect, when you get those strange shows/channels, which its atualy programmed time slot is set to odd times (ends at 1:05, 1:15, etc)

I would say usualy 90% of the programming, normaly falls under your normal 30 or 1hr slots, ending at whatever time, when all of the other programs are starting, so it doesnt happen.

Probably one of those 'oversight' things.. since not used at much.. sort of ommited.  Which is wierd.. if i was programming it, i would  go "Ok, here is all the old fuctions, make them on new (or improve the old ones), now add the extras.  But duplicate first.  But alas, i didnt write the software 😛

These forums really need a 'sugestions' section on things for them to consider for their different products.

I Plan to Stick Around

The issue is that you can't start/stop recording at whatever time you want, even if you want to start at 8:00pm you have to set up the program starting at 15 minute intervals before 8:00pm.  You can't set up your recording at 5:23pm, you have to wait until 5:30pm to physically do it.  Try setting up a manual recording and see what I mean, its hard to explain but once you try it you will  see what I mean.  Try scheduling a taping on channel 450 or something like that, that will really show you how frustrating it is.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I totaly understand what you mean by it and how it could be frustrating.

I just dont ever see me ever using it 😛  if at 5:23 i see that i want to record CSI on at 8, i go and click on CSI and tell it to record at  its regular time slot. 

Again, its what i watch, but not everyone does that way, as you do much manual recording 🙂