Audio explained?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Audio explained?

I'm came to this forum (and google for that matter) for what I assumed was a rather straight forward clarification, but to my surprise I can't find a single thread discussing it.

Basically I'm trying to find help understanding the difference in audio options for my nextbox 3.0

Specifically

1. What's the difference between Audio range Normal, Narrow and Wide, and when to use each? I noticed a volume drop/lowering when switching to wide so I didn't get to far in testing.  I asked tech support about this and he told me just to stick with Narrow to avoid the volume drop <- not really the specifics I had hoped for.
  2. What's the difference between Audio out Dolby Digital vs Other.  I saw some suggestion that 'other' supports some more complex setups, but nothing really detailed.

In a nutshell I just upgraded my AV receiver to a 7.1 channel unit and I want to make sure I getting the most of it.

Can anyone shed any light here?  There's gotta be an audiophile out there somewhere!

*** Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Audio explained?

While not the 100% best expert.. i beleive i can give the right settings.

As for the DD vs Other.. you will want to leave it on DD.
Putting it to OTHER, forces it into PCM 2.0.

So while the audio direct from the box itself will seam louder, its due to it forcing it down to the two channels. Anything broadcast in 5.1, you will loose the surround sound on (other than likely your reciever taking the 2.0 and just forcing the stereo across the left/right speakers.

The Audio range.. is how much the signal is 'compressed' so to speak to fit specific setups.
If only ever on a stero TV, the narrow setting, does some compression, to bring in the signal down to more than smaller range.. where the outer edge sounds could be lost on basic tv speakers.
But in your setup.. you would most likely want WIDE.. it leaves it pretty much un-compressed.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Gdkitty!

I kind of suspected your answers, and as a result have a follow-up that I hope I can get help with.

As I suggested, I attempted to switch to Audio Range WIDE.  My initial observation was that it lowered the volume considerably (same was true for range-normal).  Simple enough I just raised the volume and notice a nice result.  My concern here is that when I switch to another input (eg tuner) on my AVR suddenly I blast out my eardrums due to the dramatic change in volume level.

Can anyone give advise on how to normalize the output volume of "wide" allowing me to make the most of the audio signal without the fear of blowing my system up (or ears for that matter)?

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That i am not 100% sure on.

Its pretty much that the the BASE volume on the box, is likely LOWER than the base volume on the other inputs.

Its CHANGING it.. that may be the question.

I know on the OLDER boxes running SARA you could use the buttons that at the time were available on the front of the box, to change the BASE level of the box volume up.
(since doing volume control on your remote once you have a TV set up on it, changes the TV volume level)

Been a long time.. but not sure a 'non' setup remote to the TV, would allow the volume to be increased?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @dayzed007

The Wide setting is best used if you have your system set up with a receiver, or even a soundbar - and it gives a more movie theatre-like experience with the loud explosions getting louder.  It gives you more dynamic range in the sound.

At least this is how I've come to understand it - because - you are right - if you call Rogers tech support to ask - they are sometimes STUNNINGLY CLUELESS about many things.

For example, I called today to ask what is available to see now with the 4K box.  I also asked a few other questions.  The guy I spoke with KNEW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Nothing!  Then he hung up on me.  And I WAS being polite.

So I called back and spoke to someone else.  She barely knew more than he did.