Asus RT-AC68U Upload Statistics

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Asus RT-AC68U Upload Statistics

Recently, I've been noticing that my Asus RT-AC68U has been reporting unusual transmission (upload)  and reception (download) statistics. As recently as yesterday, it reported downloads of 8.19GB and uploads of 6.62GB, for a total of 14.81GB. When I check Internet usage on My Rogers, it reports a combined total of 8.239GB, with uploads of only 194MB. That usage was mainly for watching Netflix. Not too long ago, the Asus and Rogers always agreed, within reason, but there were never any large variances. The Asus started doing this recently, possibly after the last firmware update. There's nothing unusual in the Asus log, so it's kind of a mystery.

Has any other Asus owner seen this issue?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Asus RT-AC68U Upload Statistics

This is a problem with the Asus routers due to the Network Acceleration.  There is a note on the traffic monitor page which reads:  "Note: The wired network traffic bypasses CPU when enabled NAT Acceleration and may affect Traffic Monitor accuracy. Click HERE to disable NAT Acceleration. "

Remember that the NAT Acceleration is actually a fast path into and out of the router, bypassing the router CPU and its ability to accurately count the traffic passing through the router.  I don't know why Asus doesn't simply disable the traffic count when the NAT Acceleration is enabled as it produces inaccurate, confusing data.

Here is a thread from DSLreports with the same issue:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30086610-RT-AC68U-Daily-Traffic-showing-right-values

View solution in original post

All Replies
RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @jimboden

I think  @Datalink  @Gdkitty  and @VivienM are Asus owners? Maybe they can assist?

@RogersPrasana

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hey wow, I am curious to know as well.
I am not an Asus user, but was planning to get one... Have you checked the asus fourms about this? Any network techies there who noticed the same variations on dl/ul?
That's a heavy amount of data.
I was gonna say "could be log files or system usage information, which aren't logged as real usage"... but if asus requested it, Rogers modem will still count it as usage... but if Rogers modem requested it, it wouldn't have the traffic pass through Asus modem for it to even record that?

O__O Dude. I want to know too now...
besides that how is the RT-AC68U? I was eyeing that one at the store few days ago...
jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I'm waitig to see if any Asus users have seen this. As you say, there's a few on here. One thing I'n going to try is rebooting the router. It's been up and running for 45 days. Normally, I just let it go without rebooting, unless there's a problem of some kind.

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

same here. I don't reboot unless an occur or hiccup occurs.

>__> @Gdkitty and @Datalink are two people I know with great insights (Besides yourself jimboden).

hopefully this gets resolved or atleast some sort of explaination is provided.
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is a problem with the Asus routers due to the Network Acceleration.  There is a note on the traffic monitor page which reads:  "Note: The wired network traffic bypasses CPU when enabled NAT Acceleration and may affect Traffic Monitor accuracy. Click HERE to disable NAT Acceleration. "

Remember that the NAT Acceleration is actually a fast path into and out of the router, bypassing the router CPU and its ability to accurately count the traffic passing through the router.  I don't know why Asus doesn't simply disable the traffic count when the NAT Acceleration is enabled as it produces inaccurate, confusing data.

Here is a thread from DSLreports with the same issue:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30086610-RT-AC68U-Daily-Traffic-showing-right-values

View solution in original post

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

Thanks for the info. I may be wrong, but I think the Switch Control settings changed in the latest firmware update. Before the update, I think the NAT option was either on/off or possibly enable/disable. I did have NAT Accleleration turned on before the update, as well as after. Now it's disable or auto and mine is set to auto. There's also an explanation beside it saying CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) is enabled, whatever the heck that means. I don't remember seeing that wording before the update. I also don't remember ever seeing download/upload statistics that did not agree with Rogers. I religiously check them every day because I watch a lot of Netflix.

Guess I should try turning NAT Acceleration off to see if anything changes. I'll also take a look at the link you posted.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Cut Through Forwarding (CTF) is Broadcom's proprietary hardware path design, that routes data into and out of the router at the hardware level, bypassing the router processor. If you don't have to process the data for QOS, traffic monitoring to count the traffic, and others, then the data takes the quickest route available. For some reason, even though the router processor probably doesn't have access to all of the data to count it accurately, its still providing a data count, which as you can see, appears to be well off the mark.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:

besides that how is the RT-AC68U? I was eyeing that one at the store few days ago...

I think everyone here who has one (or, in my case, two - I have one running as an access point and my parents have one in full router mode) has been exceptionally pleased with the RT-AC68U. There may be some issues (such as this metering issue), but compared to most consumer-grade networking hardware, the AC68U is rock solid... 

Really, I think almost all of the REs here have an AC68U, or in Gdkitty's case, the N66U (Asus' flagship 802.11n router)... 

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

-___- How far behind am I on my networking?
In your opinion, Does the ASUS work better with CGN3 or CGN3AC or does it not matter? Currently i am running CGN3 (but i don't play games - no time to) so if I am planning to start upgrading network. Does the modem matter?

(Going to start playing MMORPG - WoW and maybe another one, not going to play league of legends, not a fan of RTS; Except senseless WarHammer 40k battles)