Assistance needed...Motorola SBG6580 Docsis 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Assistance needed...Motorola SBG6580 Docsis 3.0

Hi,

I recently purchased a Motorola SBG6580 Docsis 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway from Best Buy in the states.

I currently have an SMC 8014W-G Docsis 2.0 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway that I rent from Rogers on a monthly basis.

I bought the Motorola for 2 reasons,

#1. To upgrade from a Docsis 2.0 to a Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem Gateway (upgrading from a Wireless G to a wireless N)

#2.  To save money on the rental fee and or the purchase fee on Rogers outdated equipment. Why buy something that is obsolete in the marketplace?

Prior to this purchase I called Rogers CSRs and spoke to technicians as well on multiple occasions (since they are inconsistent in their advice I always call more than once to be able to get a consensus answer)  to determine if I could #1 do it and #2 use the Motorola that I wanted to purchase.  Armed with a positive response off I went to make my purchase.

It was supposed to be as easy as registering my modem with Rogers by giving them the MAC address and Serial #, but in typical Rogers fashion, I am now in possession of a modem which I am NOW being told is not compatible with their system and cannot be authorized on their network.  Technicians have told me that firmware updates could fix my problem.

Is there any way  at all that I can get Rogers to register this Motorola Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem or am I completely out of luck and dreaming in technicolor?

Any thoughts or advice.  Thanks.

***edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Assistance needed...Motorola SBG6580 Docsis 3.0

I think you have wasted your money. A small minority of customers have had success adding a non-Rogers D3 modem, but the majority meet with frustration. The bottom line seems to be that Rogers wants to exercise total control over your system and will not add a modem that is not in their database. There is a lot of material out there but here is one thread you might want to look at.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=141324

I've Been Around

Rogers just wants to have a monopoly and overcharge for their modem. THIS MODEM WORKS WITH ROGERS. We are using it right now. Provide customer serial number(12 numbers and letters) and HFC MAC ID. We spoke to numerous cable fulfillment personel who just want to brush you off. The person who entered the work order stated that all you have to do is tweek their system a bit, she did not know how to but asked someone who had been there for awhile.  Keep calling until you get someone who knows. They also admitted that some call centers you may be speaking with are third party who do not know or care. All you need to know is that there are rogers customers who are currently using this modem.

I've Been Here Awhile

Trying to get Rogers to do the same thing with my DCM476 - which they allow on TPIA.

Have called Cx Service and fufillment...they didn't want to budge.  It's just so frustrating!  All I want is a plain D3 modem - nice and simple!

Please support the push for Rogers to add a standalone D3 modem by voting for my ideabox submission

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/ideas/ideapage/blog-id/RogersIdeaBox/article-id/1036
I Plan to Stick Around

@2dfxwow wrote:

Trying to get Rogers to do the same thing with my DCM476 - which they allow on TPIA.

Have called Cx Service and fufillment...they didn't want to budge.  It's just so frustrating!  All I want is a plain D3 modem - nice and simple!

You and everyone else who knows what that is.

Rogers apparently has conceded the "power user" market to the TPIA's. I assume they think it's because everyone who wants a standalone modem is also wanting to download petabytes per month from bittorrent.

Myself... I transfer about 250-350GB per month (work, iTunes, Netflix, NHL GameCenter, PlayStation Network make up the bulk of the data). I'd seriously consider switching back to Rogers if I could get a standalone cable modem and a reasonable cap with reasonable speeds (at a reasonable price). 

But I digress...

Even if you do get that 476 authorized be aware Rogers audits the modem database from time and time and people who have had non-authorized modems added have randomly found themselves disconnected and having to go through the process of talking someone into re-adding them all over again.

Best to just go to TekSavvy with that device...

I've Been Around

Rogers had trouble adding my SBG6580 modem as they said the serial number was too long. I called the help number that came with the modem while I had the Rogers support person on the other line, and the modem help guy was able to generate a serial number for me that Rogers would accept. 

Signal strength is way better and the speed seems faster. Speed test results are problematic for my desktop which is wifi.

I've spent over five hours on the phone with Rogers lately. Lousey customer support policies, but most of the people I have talked with have tried to help.

Modem support was fast and efficient.

I've Been Here Awhile

sposter...are you provisioned on a DOCSIS 3 profile?  Can you get extreme plus speeds? 

Please support the push for Rogers to add a standalone D3 modem by voting for my ideabox submission

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/ideas/ideapage/blog-id/RogersIdeaBox/article-id/1036
I'm a Trusted Contributor

1. Motorola 6580 is still a gateway, not a modem and is 8x4.

2. Any modems or gateways bought in the US would not work on the Rogers Network because Rogers's database for approved hardware includes only modems and gateways produced FOR the Canadian market.

I've Been Around

Hi,

Do you have name or empleyee's ID who helped you? Yesterday I spent 2 hours with customer service and support group and nobody could help me to add S/N of SBG6580 to my account. Thx

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 in conversation