Aspect problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Aspect problem

My parents have Rogers HD (non-PVR) box.  It's one of the newest boxes (the model number escapes me at the moment, but it's a Cisco box).  They have had a very weird problem that I first blamed on my dad's clumsy fingers. 

They have an aspect issue with their TV.  At first I thought it was a TV problem, but it's not, then I thought it was a box problem, so I had them replace the box with Rogers.  Now the problem is back.

When they turned the TV off the picture was great, it took up the whole screen (they were watching HD channels btw).  They went to bed, then the next morning when they turned the TV on, the HD channels had shrunk so that there were black bars on either side.  My mom called and I talked her through pressing the Aspect button on the remote.  NOTHING changed.   I physically have to go in and change the settings on the box every time.  I change the settings from 1080i (no station broadcasts in 1080p btw) to 720p,  I switch it back to 1080i and then everything is good.  The box does not support 720i, so that option is out. 

A day later, poof, the same thing.  They don't know the settings so they stay away from them.  This is the second box that has done this.

Is this now a remote problem (although the remote was changed with the box) or is there something that can be done to 'lock' the settings in?  My dad hates watching baseball with the stupid black bars, and since it's an HD TV they'd like to use the whole screen.

I'm on SW Ontario.  Any help would be appreciated.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Aspect problem

@jGuru wrote:

My guide is stuck in 4:3 ratio is there a way to change it to 1080 or stretch it out so it is easier to see?

Press "Settings" on remote which takes you to the "Guide" menu, click on "Appearance" heading. Use right arrow to  choose the setting you want between 4:3. 720i, 16:9, or 1080i. sounds like your setting is at 4:3 which is a small picture with black bars on top and bottom and sides. if your TV can be set for 1080i which fills the entire screen, choose 1080i and a screen appears saying "Test" in red, click to accept, and  and click on "keep settings" on the next screen with remote, and your setting should be changed to  HD 1080i. If your TV can't be set for 1080i, try 720i. After you choose the aspecf you want, press SAVE at the bottom of the page to save the new setting. Also, on the same page as the settings choose "normal" for Video output and "modern" for Theme.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My guide is stuck in 4:3 ratio is there a way to change it to 1080 or stretch it out so it is easier to see?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Often when we hear about black bars.. its when people are watching an SD channel on an HD box.. it will often have the black bars at the sides, as well sometimes the top and bottom as well (for a faux wide screen)

But if you are watching HD channels.. that shouldnt be it.

How is the TV connected? HDMI?
And what exact model of box it is (might make a difference)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The box is a 4642HD, and it's hooked up via HDMI. 

I told them that any channels in the 100s are SD and that if they want HD for sure, they should look in the 500s.  I also told them that if the station is broadcasting a show that was taped in SD (Star Trek for instance), the station may broadcast it that way.

However, the Blue Jay games *ARE* HD, so there is absolutely no issue and it's annoying my dad more than my mom.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ok, its the 4642, its not the issue i was thinking that it could have been if it was one of the others.

Those boxes, upscale everything.  So the signal comming out, is all at, well whatever you set it at.

(vs the old boxes, would flip between 480 and the higher setting between the SD and HD channels)

What brand TV is it? (just wondering what the max resolution on it is)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

It's a VERY compatible Toshiba.  The max resolution for the Toshiba is 1080p.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK, was just trying to check all the bases.

If say it was only 720p, etc.

And the aspect button on the TV regular remote doesnt fix the issue?
(wondering if the rogers remote is sending some messed up signal and is changing the aspect)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm thinking it's a combination of both, but they don't have another HD tv to test. 

ANY ideas at this point would be helpful.  I'm usually good with technology, but this one has me stumped.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Drupjohn wrote:

My parents have Rogers HD (non-PVR) box.  It's one of the newest boxes (the model number escapes me at the moment, but it's a Cisco box).  They have had a very weird problem that I first blamed on my dad's clumsy fingers.  They have an aspect issue with their TV.  At first I thought it was a TV problem, but it's not, then I thought it was a box problem, so I had them replace the box with Rogers.  Now the problem is back.

Hi Drupjohn:

I have the 4642HD box your parents have. I've had it since early this year. It took me a little time to get used to some menu settings. I don't know if I can help but I can confirm how  to set different settings under "Appearance"  aspect on the "Settings" menu which seems to be where you are having trouble. 

After clicking on "Settings" on the remote you come to the Menu and the first one is "Appearance". I click on OK on the remote to enter "Appearance" settings and the settings you can change are 4:3 STD, 720i STD, 16:09 STD and 1080i HD. I think you said you can't choose 720i but it's on my menu, so you should get it too. Sometimes I use 4:3 STD because my DVD recorder records at that setting. Sometimes I leave it there for other programs. I am used to it I guess. If I want to change to 1080i HD I press "Settings" on remote, click on Appearance, and use arrow to scroll up to 4:3 and press the right arrow to make your choice of  4:3. 720,16:9 or 1080i, so say you want 1080i, press or click OK and a message says something like "to make sure you have 1080i HD on your TV, press TEST (in red),

Move the right or left arrow to TEST and click on it and after a short time, another messag appears saying "Keep Setting"(in read  - move over your right or left arrow (forget which ) and click on "Keep setting". the setting and picture should now be at 1080i. Scroll down to Save and click on it and your setting should be saved. You may not get 1080i if the program is not broadcast in HD. 

Also, in the same page where the settings are I chose "Normal" for "Video Out" amd "Modern" for "Theme". scroll down to Save (in red) and all your settings for "Appearance" should be saved.  Sometimes even after changing the aspect and after I saved it, I've had to go back to re-save it. It can be a bit quirky  along with a couple of other things at times, but most of the time the HD box works ok - so far at least.  INO,I don't think the "Guide Settings  are very user friendly. I've had previous HD boxes with better Guides. But most times it's OK..

I'm sure already know -the Input setting on your TV setting has to be on the HDMI input you are using for your HD box.

I set my Input for Component cable where you use the 3 cables which the same as using one HDMI cable, but it was like that when I got the TV so I've just left it. it works fine, so why change. I use an HDMI cable to connect my DVD player.

A long shot - Is there a chance the HDMI cable used for the TV to HD box is faulty? My TV is 4 years old, so its pretty up to date - for now. Is your TV fairly new ?  I hope some of this may be of help. At least  you can compare your settings with mine. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@jGuru wrote:

Press "Settings" on remote which takes you to the "Guide" menu, click on "Appearance" heading. Use right arrow to  choose the setting you want between 4:3. 720i, 16:9, or 1080i. sounds like your setting is at 4:3 which is a small picture with black bars on top and bottom and sides. if your TV can be set for 1080i which fills the entire screen, choose 1080i and a screen appears saying "Test" in red, click to accept, and  and click on "keep settings" on the next screen with remote, and your setting should be changed to  HD 1080i. If your TV can't be set for 1080i, try 720i. After you choose the aspecf you want, press SAVE at the bottom of the page to save the new setting. Also, on the same page as the settings choose "normal" for Video output and "modern" for Theme.  

View solution in original post