Anything I can do to lower ping in games?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zeny12
I Plan to Stick Around

Anything I can do to lower ping in games?

CGN3ROG

I am having issues with high-ish ping in games such as League of Legends, Counter-strike Global offensive, Dota 2, Smite and Guild Wars 2. I can play sometimes in 50~ping but sometimes I get 90~ which to be honest is huge for example in CSGO.

I've tried optimizing my TCP by using the SG TCP Optimizer that is pretty well known. It did work on reducing my ping by about 5-10 and made my internet actually a lot more smooth and stable. It used to be very spiky during internet tests going from 100 to 250 mbps in waves. Now I get a stable easy 270 mbps. 

My motherboard has 2x 10/100/1000 connections I am only using one of them.  Is there anything else that I can do to try to lower ping even more or have I reach the end of optimization ? 

Edit: Could it be my cables? http://imgur.com/2u2nUtf Here are the cable strengths and noise levels

***Edited Labels***

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Anything I can do to lower ping in games?

Your downstream signal levels and signal to noise ratios are good.  The upstream are slightly elevated above their normal 36 to 40 dBmV range, but where they are now shouldn't be causing any issues.  

There are three CGN3 modems, the CGN3, CGN3AC, and CGN3ACSMR.  Can you have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the product sticker and confirm which modem you have.  The first two modems suffer from latency to and thru the modem due to a firmware issue.  The CGN3ACSMR received a firmware update in June to correct problems with its baseline firmware that caused problems with online games such as League of Legends, VOIP devices and VPN and also caused latency to and thru the modem.  

If you have a look at the first post in the following thread, you can see the ping times to the CGN3ACSMR before and after the firmware update.  The CGN3 and CGN3AC will currently have ping returns similar to the before update test results.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2532...

If you have the CGN3ACSMR, it most likely has firmware version 4.4.8.14 loaded.  The next version, 4.5.8.16 will correct those issues but it takes 48 to 72 hours after the modem goes online for that version to load.

If you have a CGN3 or CGN3AC, and decide to keep that modem, you will have to put up with some small amount of latency, with occasional spikes.  The CGN3ACSMR still has minor latency spikes when compared to what it used to be.  

RogersMoin

Hello, @zeny12

Thank you for posting the Downstream/Upstream levels. It's not the signal related issue. When did you start to have high pings in your games? We have a lot of users in our Community who have reported good results with CGN3ACSMR modem running the latest firmware. I would suggest you try this modem out, it may help.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

PS: I didn't realise @Datalink has replied. Thank you.

zeny12
I Plan to Stick Around

Amazing reply really appreciate it.

I found out im using the CGN3. If I am renting the modem am I elible to return it and get the newest one? 

RogersMoin

Hello, @zeny12

Absolutely, you can take the modem along with its power supply to the nearest Rogers' store and swap it. And if you are having Ignite 60 or above package, there would no additional cost for you.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The one thing that I didn't ask previously is whether or not you are using wifi for gaming.  If so, can you try running an ethernet connection to determine if you see the same lag issues?  Can you also let us know if you normally use an ethernet or wifi connection?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing that hasnt been touched yet here.. is also the end location.
Where the end servers are located.

That can make a BIG difference in ping times as well.

How far away the end server is.

And also then the pathing.. could be having slow downs along one of the nodes along the path from you to the server.

mattb2006
I Plan to Stick Around

Constantly high pings

Hi I recently got Rogers internet on Monday and ever since it was first installed I've gotten constantly high pings, especially when playing games. Prior to getting Rogers service for particular servers or games I was getting 50-60 ping, however since switching over to Rogers on those same servers and games the ping is constantly higher than 100 and does not drop any lower. Even running a speed test from a server located in my city indicates the high ping. I'm using a CGN3ACSMR modem.

Also, I am directly plugged in via ethernet cable.

Any idea of what would be causing this or how to investigate further?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4974906868.png

Thanks
Matt

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Playing via wired or wifi connection?   Can you log into the modem and check the software (firmware) version that is currently loaded.   This is shown on the STATUS page, which is displayed when you log into the modem.  You might have version 4.4.8.14 which is problematic for gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs and any other latency intolerant application. This has been replaced by Version 4.5.8.16.  If this needs to be loaded, it will take 48 to 72 hours.  Until then, you're hooped.  

mattb2006
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I'm playing using a wired connection.

Also, I have version 4.5.8.16 of the firmware.

Matt