cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything I can do to lower ping in games?

zeny12
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3ROG

I am having issues with high-ish ping in games such as League of Legends, Counter-strike Global offensive, Dota 2, Smite and Guild Wars 2. I can play sometimes in 50~ping but sometimes I get 90~ which to be honest is huge for example in CSGO.

I've tried optimizing my TCP by using the SG TCP Optimizer that is pretty well known. It did work on reducing my ping by about 5-10 and made my internet actually a lot more smooth and stable. It used to be very spiky during internet tests going from 100 to 250 mbps in waves. Now I get a stable easy 270 mbps. 

My motherboard has 2x 10/100/1000 connections I am only using one of them.  Is there anything else that I can do to try to lower ping even more or have I reach the end of optimization ? 

Edit: Could it be my cables? http://imgur.com/2u2nUtf Here are the cable strengths and noise levels

***Edited Labels***

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Anything I can do to lower ping in games?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your downstream signal levels and signal to noise ratios are good.  The upstream are slightly elevated above their normal 36 to 40 dBmV range, but where they are now shouldn't be causing any issues.  

There are three CGN3 modems, the CGN3, CGN3AC, and CGN3ACSMR.  Can you have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the product sticker and confirm which modem you have.  The first two modems suffer from latency to and thru the modem due to a firmware issue.  The CGN3ACSMR received a firmware update in June to correct problems with its baseline firmware that caused problems with online games such as League of Legends, VOIP devices and VPN and also caused latency to and thru the modem.  

If you have a look at the first post in the following thread, you can see the ping times to the CGN3ACSMR before and after the firmware update.  The CGN3 and CGN3AC will currently have ping returns similar to the before update test results.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2532...

If you have the CGN3ACSMR, it most likely has firmware version 4.4.8.14 loaded.  The next version, 4.5.8.16 will correct those issues but it takes 48 to 72 hours after the modem goes online for that version to load.

If you have a CGN3 or CGN3AC, and decide to keep that modem, you will have to put up with some small amount of latency, with occasional spikes.  The CGN3ACSMR still has minor latency spikes when compared to what it used to be.  

RogersMoin

Hello, @zeny12

Thank you for posting the Downstream/Upstream levels. It's not the signal related issue. When did you start to have high pings in your games? We have a lot of users in our Community who have reported good results with CGN3ACSMR modem running the latest firmware. I would suggest you try this modem out, it may help.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

PS: I didn't realise @Datalink has replied. Thank you.

zeny12
I Plan to Stick Around

Amazing reply really appreciate it.

I found out im using the CGN3. If I am renting the modem am I elible to return it and get the newest one? 

Hello, @zeny12

Absolutely, you can take the modem along with its power supply to the nearest Rogers' store and swap it. And if you are having Ignite 60 or above package, there would no additional cost for you.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

The one thing that I didn't ask previously is whether or not you are using wifi for gaming.  If so, can you try running an ethernet connection to determine if you see the same lag issues?  Can you also let us know if you normally use an ethernet or wifi connection?

One thing that hasnt been touched yet here.. is also the end location.
Where the end servers are located.

That can make a BIG difference in ping times as well.

How far away the end server is.

And also then the pathing.. could be having slow downs along one of the nodes along the path from you to the server.

mattb2006
I Plan to Stick Around

Constantly high pings

Hi I recently got Rogers internet on Monday and ever since it was first installed I've gotten constantly high pings, especially when playing games. Prior to getting Rogers service for particular servers or games I was getting 50-60 ping, however since switching over to Rogers on those same servers and games the ping is constantly higher than 100 and does not drop any lower. Even running a speed test from a server located in my city indicates the high ping. I'm using a CGN3ACSMR modem.

Also, I am directly plugged in via ethernet cable.

Any idea of what would be causing this or how to investigate further?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4974906868.png

Thanks
Matt

Playing via wired or wifi connection?   Can you log into the modem and check the software (firmware) version that is currently loaded.   This is shown on the STATUS page, which is displayed when you log into the modem.  You might have version 4.4.8.14 which is problematic for gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs and any other latency intolerant application. This has been replaced by Version 4.5.8.16.  If this needs to be loaded, it will take 48 to 72 hours.  Until then, you're hooped.  

mattb2006
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I'm playing using a wired connection.

Also, I have version 4.5.8.16 of the firmware.

Matt

I have the same modem and with the newest firmware and Ethernet plugged in, I get more lag now then before when I had the CGN3 I got lag but the cgn3acsmr I get alot more. 

@mattb2006 were you running DSL before?  If so, the x2 ping times don't surprise me at all.  Part of that is the issue with shared transmit and received time slots with Docsis, and part of that is due to Rogers network.  No doubt your speeds are probably higher with cable, but the ping times can be higher.  There may be some node issues as well.  Your modem is connected to a neighborhood node, unless you live in an apartment, condo, etc, so if there are any node loading issues due to the number of subscribers connected to that particular node, you could in fact see ping issues.  Tier II tech support could tell you what the load is on the node that you are connected to, but you would have to go thru first level support first. 

Try a speedtest with www.speedtest.net using the Montreal and then Toronto Telus servers and see what results you get.  Can you post those results as well?

mattb2006
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

Yes, I was running DSL before. A technician will be visiting my house tomorrow, should I ask him anything specfic or ask him to confirm anything that could alleviate the issue?

Here is my Montreal-Telus speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4977891966.png

Here is my Toronto-Telus speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4977894430.png

Despite these results I'm still getting unreasonable lag in games however.

Out of curiosity I asked my friend with Fibre op who gets pings similar to my old ones (~55) to run the speed test for the Montreal-Telus server and he got these results.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4977898768.png

Could the issue is stemming from my end instead of Rogers'? I.E. Perhaps its a modem configuration issue or something of that nature?

Thanks
Matt

@mattb2006 I can't think of anything specific to ask the tech.  Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the cable signal levels which might be of some interest. 

Are you running the modem in Gateway mode, ie using its routing and wifi capabilities, or running the modem in Bridge mode with a follow-on router for your network?

I suspect that there isn't anything wrong in terms of your own network or device settings.  What you are seeing is typical of DOCSIS and Rogers network.

mattb2006
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

Hi there, here are the signal strength tables. Also, I'm running in gateway mode, could getting a router and running in bridge mode make a significant difference even if I'm already directly plugged in?

Thanks

Matt

Downstream table

http://imgur.com/0I23NzK

Upload table

http://imgur.com/DGUk0Ds

Your signal levels are good, so, no problems there.  If you have a requirement to set up more than nine port forwarding rules, then running the modem in Bridge mode with a third part router is the way to go.  Improved Wifi performance and access to all of the router parameters and settings are the main reasons for going to a router, among others.  So, that is food for thought. 

I don't believe that there is much that can be done at your end.  The problem most likely starts at the neighborhood node and goes upstream from there.  Are you in a house, or in an apartment, condo, highrise, etc, etc?

mattb2006
I Plan to Stick Around

I live in a house, when I spoke with a tech a few days ago he did mention I was at the end of terminal line or something along those lines.

Thanks

Matt

Ok, I would take that to mean that you are at the end of the line that runs from the neighborhood node to your home, with numerous other subscribers along the way.  If the tech hasn't shown up yet, ask him or her where you are in terms of where that line starts and ends.  If he or she has access to the data, or to tier II support, ask what the current load is on the node, in terms of the % load.  It shouldn't be above 80% from what I've been told.

mattb2006
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

Thanks for all the support over the past few days, Datalink.

The technician came in and I was pretty surprised by his response, he acknowledged I was at the end of the line but said that it shouldn't make a difference with respect to ping. I asked him about the % load and he said he didn't know the percentage but said it could make a difference if it was really busy.

According to what he told me he said those kinds of high pings were standard for my area and that I should be satisfied with them because "it could be worse."He said some parts of my city average over 120ms. He said the wires were old in my neighborhood and that my ping wouldn't improve. He assured me though that Rogers can get pings around 20ms but literally told me the only way I could get that kind of ping would be if I moved to a newer subdivision with better wire infrastructure.

Pretty dissatisfied by his response to say the least.

Sorry to hear that 😞

I was afraid that you might get an answer along those lines, and unfortunately, thats one of those things that you don't find out about until you're there.  If you knew someone in the area with Rogers service you might have been able to ask about the ping situation first and determine that you were better off with DSL.  So, that is the choice that you will have to make, cable speed versus lower DSL ping times. 

Fwiw, at some point Rogers should be introducing DOCSIS 3.1.  Right now the equipment is DOCSIS 3.0 compatible.  DOCSIS 3.1 does two important things, firstly it changes the transmission modulation scheme to introduce a great number of data sub-carriers, essentially doing away with the fixed bandwidth system that has been inherited from the analogue cable days.  That allows gigabit data rates.  Secondly it introduces Active Que Management to tackle latency, which every gamer will be happy about.  Even in situations that you find yourself in, I would think that would have a very positive impact.  So, if you decide to return to DSL, keep your eyes open to any upgrade announcements for your area, in terms of going to gigabit speeds. 

Here's a link about the Active Que Management:

http://www.cablelabs.com/how-docsis-3-1-reduces-latency-with-active-queue-management/

Fwiw, I haven't seen anyone state that they have received a gigabit modem yet, so, the jury is still out regarding DOCSIS 3.0 versus 3.1 data rates.  The current 3.0 modems are capped at 960 Mb/s from what I remember, so, close to 1 gigabit per sec, but not truly gigabit rates.  When the modem finally arrives we'll know whether Rogers really intends to deliver gigabit rates with DOCSIS 3.1, or almost gigabit rates with DOCSIS 3.0 and a touch of marketing thrown in.  DOCSIS 3.1 would deliver gigabit rates and Active Cue Management, so, we can only hope at this point.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

The day DOCSIS 3.1 is released and I finally have a good Latency on Rogers.. I will open a bottle of very expensive Whiskey 

Topic Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 in conversation