Anyplace TV Home Edition App Recorded Programs Not Deleting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

@mikexp

Hey, so what exactly do you see? Do you got a screenshot of this?

I'm looking on my app and I attempted to delete a recording i didn't need and it just went away.

Did you check the PVR? Was that recording still there?

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for getting back to me, and especially for trying it yourself!

She's got a lot saved and I'm not sure what a lot of them are but I'm certain there were few if any manual recordings.  Best I can tell it (the loss of the program name) only happened once when I deleted the first few.  I used "edit" mode to select about 6 recordings and zapped them all at once.  She's cleaned up a few more recordings since then I believe one at a time.

Unfortunately I'm not at home so I can't check how they show on the PVR.  I'm sure that the ones I deleted are gone 'cause the %used dropped the appopriate amount.

rogers device-2016-01-14-212938.png

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@mikexp those scheduled recordings in your image are for May and April, all Channel 524. I see The Voice is for 8:00 p.m. but it's not even on at that time. The manual recordings are all for 7:00 p.m. different days.  Even if you're not home you can check on Zap2it what they are. If it's not something you normally record, you could delete them. I don't know how the Nextboxes work, but I can set manual recordings on my 8300 more than a week ahead, but not using the guide or web app.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, I understand what you're saying.  Those recordings are from last year so they won't match the current schedule.   I too suspect the broken names are old recordings of The Voice, but I don't know for sure. 

It's easy for me to clean this up by deleting them but if I accidentally deleted one of her classic Voice recordings it could be a relationship ending event...  And I can't check on the PVR itself 'cause I'm not home (which is kinda the point of HomeEdition).

BTW, some of the current SCHEDULED series were clobbered in the same way, with the series name changed to "Manual Recording".

Obviously there was a bug in the back end app that was preventing deletes from the HomeEdition app AND the online web app from working, as it was fixed it during the outage a few days back - coincidentally just after we started discussing it here.

Obviously a bug in the android HomeEdition app or the back end app clobbered the PVR database program information when handling my recent (multiple, which might be a clue) "delete recording" action.  

This isn't user error and I don't need help learning to use the app - even if I'm not bright enough to use it this shouldn't have happened - it's clearly an application defect.

If the Rogers dev team wants more information to help them figure out their bug I'm happy to provide it.  But if they're not interested than neither am I...

Rogers Employee

I'm not Rogers Dev, but it does seem like a hiccup in coding but I want to state an observation here that goes outside of the app, and the PVR recording as a whole:

Based on your explaination (because as stated above, for me - I couldn't duplicate it), I think the names are warped now so we aren't sure which recording is which due to "manual recording" file name.

Out of my own knowledge about database (Not rogers related, app related or box related, just something I learned studying programming); Usually, when a file name or file gets corrupt in a database, it has a failsafe 'name' to avoid corrupt of the whole database becoming inaccessible.

Maybe, and just maybe this is what is happenning? If it can't detect the recording name or the file name or file itself is corrupt it names it "manual recording" because it can't return "null" as the name or else it will crash?

^ if the above didn't make sense, basically what I am trying to say, you are right. I think it may be an app error that may have caused it but instead it may be trying to protect file corruption of all recording by renaming everything it can't get details of as "manual recording" in the PVR box. Which in turns made it frustrating for you to determine which recording is which and which one is important to keep from the app interface.

However, a key thing to point out, I believe the Web app and Mobile App shouldn't be accessed at the same time, since they are accessing the same PVR files. That would cause trouble, and that would be user inflicted/error. Especially in any sort of database that isn't meant to handle multi-access.

Again, I am stating what I have observed and what basic knowledge of "database" I have. Essentially the PVR is really keeping track of the recording as a Database rather than anything else. What Filesystem it uses - I have no clue.

But your issue at this point isn't the Android App on 5.0 Lollipop as it seems to let you access it. I would recommend having Tech-Support take a look at your PVR directly; but we fall into the loop of you not home and unable to access it directly (and tech requires you to be home).

What's your feedback on this @mikexp? Did I explain it correctly or was that... well Shak-giberish?

Will you be able to access the PVR directly sometime? I wanna get to the bottom of this.

Does someone have any inputs on this? I feel like I may be off on this one - Mainly cause I wouldn't have an Idea how the PVR or the app is programmed; but just speculating.

I Plan to Stick Around

Tough to say where the corruption could occur, the designers would need to be the one to comment.  But certainly the PVR, the app, and the web app should be protecting against being corrupted by simultaneous access - at worst it should be "last one wins".

If forced to guess I would say the problem was in the web app on the rogers servers, as this corruption problem has now magically fixed itself as well.  And I wouldn't expect it was a rogers employee getting into my PVR and fixing the titles one by one...  nor would I want it to be so!

I Plan to Stick Around

Can't help much with this issue but to say I have seen the "Manual recording" several times also and have no idea what that means. Usually there is zero recording time associated with it.

Rogers Employee

@mikexp --- so... it fixed itself? That's... good right?

@ruinband, I myself have seen 2 "manual recording" with zero time... but oddly enough I was deleting all my shows (they were all old recordings and no longer relevant) so I didn't consider looking into it. Unsure if it was an error or if i recorded a show ending.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's certainly good it's fixed, but I don't for a minute believe it fixed itself :P.  There's been more than a few outages of the PVR remote access service lately, I have no doubt there were a few bugs sorted out then which is definitely good too.

Rogers Employee

Agreed @mikexp