cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyplace TV - Apple TV and NVIDIA Sheild TV Support

space2001
I Plan to Stick Around

Was wondering if there is any knowledge of the anyplace tv app coming to Android TV and Apple TV.

I have a NVIDIA Sheild TV and a Apple TV  Would be great if the app would work on these.

They are both way more powerful and capable then the current rogers boxes. Plus I don't want to have to add another cable box to my tv.

Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Anyplace TV - Apple TV and NVIDIA Sheild TV Support

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You will not find any advance notice regarding this here, for competitive and confidentiality reasons.  It is possible that eventually it will be available on certain boxes.  In the meantime, you can of course use a tablet, phone, computer/browser to access Anyplace and "connect" to your TV if desired:  See the second dropdown and any others of interest in the link below:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/anyplace-tv-overview

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

The link is blank once again - changes coming??

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

In the meantime, you can of course use a tablet, phone, computer/browser to access Anyplace and "connect" to your TV if desired: 

This information I provided earlier may no longer be correct. Apparently the new Anyplace TV app allows you to watch on the device, but no longer allows for "casting" from tablet or phone?  I'm not sure if an HDMI connection from computer works. Would appreciate hearing from people who have attempted to "connect" to a TV from various devices using Anyplace TV.

I also reported the dead link...

Marty999
I've Been Around

Does anyone know if its possible to sideload the Android Anyplace TV app onto the shield?

Nope

Hwaiting
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers better step up their game as Bell Fibe just released their Android TV app today.

Back to Rogers/

I recently came back to Rogers after 6 weeks with Bell, Bells tech was so much better, but Rogers deal was too good.

My only gripe I suppose is that in the sales call where I came back to Rogers the rep promised things I was pretty sure wasn't true. She said that any smart tv would work like another cable box, now I doubted this but asked her again if she was sure and she said yes and then they would send an experience senior tech who would do it for me.

Anyway, does anyone know if Rogers has plans for Anyplacetv apps for firestick or apple tv or android tv? The firestick bell Fibe app is incredible and could really use something similar from Rogers or is everything just a bridge until the switch everyone to Ignite TV and we shouldn't expect much from current Rogers apps?

Hello, @itsgettinglate1

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

I appreciate posting your query regarding the Anyplace TV app in the Community.

At the moment, the app is available for Android devices (phones and tablets) and Apple devices (iPhones and iPads). 

We will definitely share with the Community if the app becomes available on other platforms. Thank you for understanding!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

@RogersMoin,

I'm looking forward from Rogers to develop those apps for Android Boxes and the Apple TV. Bell has those apps long time ago, even the iOS app shows up on the Apple watch as a Remote!!

So Rogers? What's the hold up here!??

scagss
I've Been Around
Why so long to make an app of any sort of secretive matters behind it, just make an app simple enough. Good in bell for their putting one out for their customers.

Likely because they want to milk their customers for new cable top boxes.   I was at a friend's house this weekend who had Bell Fibe.  He was able to use the Bell Fibe app and Apple TV and was able to watch live cable outside on his patio without any issues.    See ya Rogers!

mrsgolf
I've Been Around

I tried to use the Anyplace TV app on Chromecast and an Android box using HDMI connection and a message comes up "Streaming not possible using HDMI". It would be a benefit to having it work, as you need to be a Rogers customer to have access to Anyplace TV, it should be available.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mrsgolf : Each of the ways of watching a programme needs to be negotiated separately between the service provider and the content owner. That's why there are restrictions on the programming and ways to watch that programming. 

- On a TV via a STB

- HD and SD

- DD5.1 and DD2.0

- On a device like a phone, tablet, computer.  (for example, some channels are not available for streaming on Anyplace)

- On-Demand, (with/without commercials, etc)

Here's a post on the ways that a programme can be "cast".

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-anywhere-tv-app-on-sony-bravia-tv/m-p/434029#M48633

Here's an Anyplace FAQ:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/anyplace-tv-overview

gustobob
I've Been Around

What's the delay?  Your tech is so out of touch compared to other providers like Bell...

User3998
I've Been Here Awhile

When is support for such a basic feature in the age of Smart TVs coming?
I'm up for renewal, and if it's not there, I'm just going switch to Bell who seems to be willing to understand the market and technology and adapt quickly.

Other than the fire stick, and samsung smart TVs..  the app compatibility list on Crave is not that much better.
You can find it on their FAQ page.

As for right now, I don't think you will be seeing much development at all on the Anyplace TV app.
As it is primarily tied to the digital TV platform.

Like bell, rogers is moving over to IPTV with its Ignite service.  And probably most of the development will be through the app there.

98765432l
I Plan to Stick Around

Having recently switching to Ignite from Fibe, I too miss my tv not being on my Apple TV box.  I was told I could use the apple ios app but it does not work on the apple tv box and I now do not have tv in my bedroom.  I am posting just to add a number to the list of who wants the app to work on apple tv box.  Thanks.

aharkies
I Plan to Stick Around

i hear ya, i just bought a fire stick 4k hoping to use anyplace tv on it .. well it dont work, but bell has one, waiting for a call back from bell now.. this could mean goodbye to rogers!

Leland247
I've Been Around

Got the Nvidia Sheild TV for Christmas ! Was told on the phone when I ordered my channels that Rogers Anyplace is supported by Android devices. Very dissapointed to find out after hooking everything up that its not.  Android box's are the most common Android device hooked up to a TV. It's mindblowing its not supported. Please fix this Rogers ❤️ Looking forward to 4K support on the Anyplace App also. 

Thanks ! Happy New Year 

Android for the PHONES is supported.
The shield (and most other android boxes) are using the AndroidTV OS.

Technically the anyplace app, was designed to watch stuff on mobile while away from the TV.  They assume if your watching at a TV, your going to be watching it via one of their boxes 😕

You likely should be able to SIDELOAD the app?  Though not really supported, likely should mostly work.

At this point they are not likely to put much more work into the App for it.  Including stuff like 4k.
As rogers will be slowly trying to move everyone away from the regular digital cable, over to IPTV through ignite.  Most development work would be put towards that App.
But again, not likely to see necessarily 4k support... due to again the primary viewing screens that the app is designed for, is mobile screens.

Topic Stats