Anyone know for certain how email handles the following scenario...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone know for certain how email handles the following scenario...

Say you send a single email with a picture attached to 5 email users. Some of the recipients are using rogers email, Some are not (gmail, etc etc). Your email provider is rogers.com

Does your email client A) send the email+ picture 5 times, once to each recipient via the mail isp in the recipients email address or

Does it B) send it send it once to your email provider server (rogers) and rogers server sends it off to the 5 recipients ?

This becomes very relevant if you the sender are using a wireless cell link (Rocket Hub) to connect to the hub. If you sent the picture 5 times it becomes very expense from a data cost point of view.

I believe it is B but a friend has been told A perhaps to justify a very high cell data bill from his ISP ($4500).

I believe it is B because the senders email client has to log and pass authentication on the sender servers (rogers) before his emails are dispatched by his server. But maybe its crippled design and once you successfully log in to send, the email is in fact transferred 5 separate times to your server from your computer.

Anyone know absolutely for certain ?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Anyone know for certain how email handles the following scenario...

Great question @DE_ ,

Is any Community member able to help?

RogersDarrell

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi DE_,

When you as an email client send an email and list all the recipients in the single email, that email would be delivered to your SMTP server only once which would be the MTA (message transfer agent) for your email.

The MTA would then be responsible for the handling of the emails that gets delivered to the recipients. It will also send back to you NDRs (non deliverable report) back to you in event that there was a failure. The MTA may need to break the message out to send the emails out several different times depending on the recipient domain,  host and recipient email configuration, etc. It's very technical.

In your case for the part you are worried about, your email client would only send the email to the server once.  It would not be the cause of your usage. Some other type of traffic is going on with the Rocket Hub that's causing the $4500 ISP bill. Not a single email with 100 recipients and 5 images.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the confirmation.

The person that got the bill (not me) was doing it while on a boat using a cellphone hotspot and was sending a number of IPad  pictures in one email with long CC list, a number of times. Each picture size was large relative to the email. He was told by a wireless provider representation that the pictures would have been transfered over and over again wirelessly, a separate set for everyone on the CC list (which I did not believe). You confirmed thats not the case. They are transfered once.

He "negoiated" a better bill and he is now much more aware of the cost of sending full res pics wireless to the internet. Smiley Happy

Thanks again 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

It may also be worthwile to note that email was never conceived to be a file transfer agent. To get around this, uuencode was created so that it would support delivery of files. 

Uuencode basically changes machine binary language into letters/numbers representation so that files can be transferred using emails. Because of this transformation, the email message would tend to inflate to more than the size of the actual files.

If the image files were large, and he was sending lots of them it may be a source of concern. I don't know what the usage you got that called for a $4500, but could play a factor.