Anyone have a plan WITHOUT Call Display?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Anyone have a plan WITHOUT Call Display?

Well the phone always reads the header either way, it's just stripped for phonecalls if you don't pay to see it.

I'm Here A Lot

This certainly is a rip-off.

I'm paying $13/m for call-display and name display and voicemail, and I don't need any of them.

The problem is, that if I cancel "call display and name display" they block my caller-ID and I do need that.  I'm sure they know that this is the one thing that everyone needs.  They give it a fancier name to mask the fact that people are paying so much for something so basic.

The other problem is that, when I signed up, I really saved very little by getting rid of voice-mail (can't remember how much the difference was).

So, somehow I'm paying $13/m to get them to not block my caller-id.  That is classic Robellus for you.  That is one of the many little things that makes Canadians hate them so much.

On the other hand, that is the sort of thing that gives them a higher ARPU (revenue per user) then any comparable country - so it's not like things are about to change.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe im confused as to what your need/got?

Call display = caller ID, at least in the phone number sense.  

If you need to see the incomming number, you need something with call display on it, to show the incomming phone number (you can then use a contact in your phone book if you have it, to show the name for it).

name display, adds it showing the name associated.

You should be able to get just the call display part only and save some.

I'm Here A Lot

Really?  I thought I was told that I needed "call display"?

All I need is for the # to come thru, so my phone can match it.   You say that I can get just that - do you know how much I should be paying?

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The smallest thing i can find, is on the addons page

$7

Call Display and Mini Voicemail

Call Display is a service that allows you to see the number of incoming callers even if they are not in your address book. The Mini Voicemail is a service that allows you to receive up to 3 messages each up to 3 minutes in length and you can save each one for up to 3 days.

This would only give you caller ID, showing only the incomming number, and a mini voicemailbox

I'm Here A Lot

Okay, thanks.

For a moment there I was hoping that I had totally messed up and there was some cheap (e.g. $2) option for just caller-id that I could get if I knew what to ask for.

$7 is certainly better then the $13 I'm currently paying, but still seems like a rip-off for just getting caller-id.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Togers

If you want, you can contact Rogers & ask for a Manager. Speak to them & tell them what is going on. Tell them other carriers are offering it for free. I am sure they can give you a credit each month for it.

I don't pay for Call display, Name display & VVM because of that.
I'm Here A Lot

But I'm on contract, and in my experience you get no concessions at all (or even reasonableness) when 'on contract'.

I remember a couple of years ago I had a plan with 200m and I was going to need a bit more, so I called and was told that, to get any more minutes, the voice portion of my plan would go from ~$20 to ~$80 per month.  I was certain that the rep was crazy but I looked it up online and found that he was telling the truth, but my $20/m was a negogiated price, and if I tried to change anything I would go from a negogiated price to a list price, hence the enormous jump.

In the end it was much cheaper to get a 2nd, PAYG, phone for the period during which I needed more minutes.  This seemed crazy but it saved me a lot.

I learned then that, when signing up for a new 3 year contract, you need to get a plan that will cover all your needs for 3 years because you can't change.

I suspect that I can now change my $13 value package to the $7 one because the $13 is a separate line item and the $7 is a listed item, but I highly doubt I will get any concessions beyond that.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Togers

I am on a 3 year term as well. That does not mean anything tho. My bill is supposed to be $115 yet I pay $60 per month. Managers can override and give you discounts. Also the retentions department can do the same as well.

Actually you can change the plan anytime. The problem is that some plans that was offered years ago, stopped and Rogers brought out new plans. Thus making the old ones not offered anymore and if you want to change, you will lose that plan.

You can change it for the $7 one. Speak to Rogers retentions or a manager. The normal reps either do not want to offer discounts or can not.