Anyone have a plan WITHOUT Call Display?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Anyone have a plan WITHOUT Call Display?

Don't believe anyone, The fact is They steal our phone information and everyone is unknown no matter you save caller's name or not, for me it even didn't show miss call if someone calls, this way they force us to buy caller ID which is ridicoulous. It sucks, I feel like not having phone coz of this. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's your choice. You have to look at it the other way , if it was default at x price, what about people like my mother and in laws who DON'T want it? They are forced to have it. Shouldn't they be paying less since they DON'T want it?

No one is stealing any information. Your provider will see every call that the phone makes regardless of package. Even a pay as you go phone, even though they may not have your personal info on the account the same as a monthly, the provider still has record of all calls made on it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hey kedarprasad. im not sure who told you if you store your contacts in your phone it will come up when they call even if u dont subscribe to call display, well let me tell you,  i worked in telecom for over 15 years, that is a bunch of Baloney, who ever made up that is just a rumour, it was NEVER true, the person who started that rumour must have been smoking sometihng more than cigarettes, it NEVER worked on ANY company, never will work, it does not make logical sense, its not Suppost to work that way,  if you want the feature, you have to subscribe for it which often means paying for call display, and then the numbers will show up.  there was a point in time where no one on rogers had call dispaly, heck some phones did not even support it,  how u like dem apples now bro? 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The information packets o connect the call can contain the callersid (phone number) but does not have to. If you do not pay for the service the carrier will strip that info from the packets and send them along without the callers id.

The confusion with putting numbers in your phone stems from the difference between callerID and callerNameID. If you subscribe to callerID and have the contact in your phone's address book your phone may show the contacts name and number by looking it up in the contacts.

If you subscribe to callerNameID and CallerID you do not need the contact in your phone for the name to show up on the phone's display as both peices of information are passed in the data packets.

I've Been Around

Re: Anyone have a plan WITHOUT Caller ID?

Im from Australia and just moved here. I got a cell phone plan and was asked the question " Do you want name display and call display on your service".. my answer was of course yes!.. then i was told that it is $12.79./Month...what??

Um, that's like buying a car and charging someone a monthly fee for the number plates... The fact is, someone within tellus/bell/rogers etc.. has to DE-program that feature! And hold on - why the monthly fee? Surely a 1-off fee is still bad, but at least more honourable )

For the record, I was paying $15 a month for a 3Gb plan with virtually unlimited calls in OZ.. and yes  it was one of the 'BIG" networks.

To;

1. Have to pay for that at all 

2. that  "Call Display" is a monthly cost

is downright ludicrious.

Why do you Canadians put up with it??

I Plan to Stick Around

My girls don't have call display on their phones. If they have them added in the contact list, and the person calls, it DOES NOT show up. It shows up as UNKNOWN CALLER whether or not they are in the phones address book. The exception is with text messaging. The name and number will show up if the number and name are programmed into the phone, but it only happens with text messaging.
I'm a Senior Advisor

It has to show up for text messages as you need the contact information to reply.

I Plan to Stick Around

It does, but if the same number you have sent a text to, is listed in your contacts, phones you from that number, it comes up as unknown.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

thats because the industry does not support anonymous text messages, they must reveal who they are from

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ShadNuke wrote:
It does, but if the same number you have sent a text to, is listed in your contacts, phones you from that number, it comes up as unknown.

Right.. since the phone is set up to always read that header information on texts.. vs it is not for phone calls, unless the feature is activated.