Anyone else noticed signal issues with the Galaxy Nexus?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone else noticed signal issues with the Galaxy Nexus?

Hi everyone, I just got a Galaxy Nexus with Rogers through Best Buy on Friday. For the most part I'm loving the phone, although I have noticed one thing that worries me. The data works great and I use a wifi connection at home. The regular connection worked great in the best buy store. When I'm at home whether the wifi is on or off, I don't seem able to send any texts and I notice that I have no bars for signal. The notification bar just says "Emergency calls only", instead of ROGERS when I drag it down. If I go to Settings > About Phone, then the Android version listed is 4.0.1, but I know 4.0.2 is available for other Galaxy Nexus phones out there in the wild, so I don't know if that will fix this issue once Rogers or Samsung (?) makes it available for us. Going into Status from this page I see - Network: Unknown - Service State: Out of Service - Roaming: Not Roaming - Mobile Network State: Disconnected Which seems odd, since other friends with different phones such as the iphone (on Rogers) get service just fine in my house, and my old phone the HTC magic had service here too. I also see by this map that I'm well within coverage for both GSM/EDGE and 4G HSPA+ http://www.rogerslte.com/lte-in-your-area Any help would be greatly appreciated as I love the phone other than this fairly large issue! Thank you. -Dan

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Anyone else noticed signal issues with the Galaxy Nexus?

Also looking at my last day's usage on the battery screen, the top use of my battery is Cell Standby with 44%.

Cecking the details for that item of usage I see Time on 18h 5m 7s
Time without a signal 78%
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Do you have Data enabled, under wireless?
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply. Yes under Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Data Enabled (Enable data over Mobile network) is checked I can use data just fine in the nearest town, but my service area used to be much larger on my old phone, so something seems suspect here.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hopefully it was a one-time thing.

I just powered my phone down completely and restarted, and now I got a backlog of texts and see that I'm connected to various networks from my home.

Hopefully the problem doesn't resurface, but I will keep everyone posted if it does.

That's weird! Sometimes taking the battery out for a minute or so will clear the system and correct a problem too.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello all, 

I also saw this issue today.  Looked down and had no bars no 3g.   No error messages other than no data connection in my email.   Turned my phone into Aiplane mode and back again and seemed to resolve it.  

When i go into the battery graph, on the bottom where it says mobile network signal, I have red lines throughout the day indicating that i am losing connection.  It is sitting on my desk in downtown toronto, I am not moving around so I am not sure why that is happening.   Others with android phones are not seeing this issue.

Anyone else see this issue on their phones?  could there be an issue with the nexus and rogers?

I've Been Around

I have the same thing happen to me!

Understandably, I lose reception when I go to underground parking (four floors underground) but when I get out, my Galaxy Nexus seems to lose its ability to search/find and connect to the network.

I'll go to Settings -> More -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Network Operators

And a message comes up saying that there's an error in trying to find/connect to a network.

The only method I've found to correct this is by turning my phone off then back on.  This never happened with my old phone (N95 and Nexus One) so I'm pretty sure it's a Galaxy Nexus thing.  It doesn't make sense though that once it loses its connection, it can't or doesn't try to re-establish a connection.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a two day old Galaxy Nexus on Rogers, and I seem to be having pretty constant data drops. There are occasionally whole signal drops, but they're rare... mostly I just loose the "blue" bars and all my data connectivity is gone.

Additionally, I notice the network flip flopping between H and 3G, sometimes five or six times a minute.

This is all happening in areas where I know (using my previous iPhone 4) that I have a strong 3G signal. All this struggling by my phone to maintain a data connection also can't be good for the battery - so I suspect that some of the battery drain issues I'm seeing are due to that.

...who else?

Highlighted

The "3G" icon means that there is no network data transfer. The "H" icon means that there is network data transfer. It's not related to the quality of the mobile network connection and it's pretty normal.
If you're phone shows the "H" icon 5|6 times a minutes when you're doing nothing with the phone, it may comes from an app that access the network multiple times a minutes... that may explain poor battery life of your GN.
Opening a network connection to transfer some data is one of the most expensive operation that affects battery life.

The "blue" bars means that the phone is connected to Google Sync servers (Push Notifications are working).

I can't remember loosing the "blue" bars on my Galaxy Nexus (bought from another carrier in December).

BTW, I don't think that the iPhone 4 shows you in the UI if the phone is connected to Apple Push Notifications servers (like the "blue" bars in Android).