cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else get a Rogers " Rogers Customer Appreciation Event with a gift for you" email???

boblepp
I Plan to Stick Around

The reply address is "Rogers Communications [rogersinternet@rogers.chtah.com]"

Today Rogers says this is a legitimate email from them, or at least "forumsupport@rci.rogers.com" says it is a real email.

When I Google chtah.com I see lots of comments that it is an abused email domain 'Cheetah Mail' owned by Experian.

If you browse to chta.com all you get is:

redt4 OK

The links in the HTML email from Rogers are all back to something like:     http://f.chtah.com/i/6/2068138764/201011_ce1_box1_hdr.gif      BUT they end up on a Rogers page but have hit the spurious chtah.com along the way.

Thanks

Bob

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Anyone else get a Rogers " Rogers Customer Appreciation Event with a gift for you" ema

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi boblepp,

The email you received regarding Rogers Customer Appreciation Event is a legitimate newsletter we've sent out to our customers. This is our 4th annual Customer Appreciation Event, which has happened around this time each year for the past four years.

Cheetahmail is our email provider used to distribute the newsletter. This is why the sender email address is Rogers Communications [rogersinternet@rogers.chtah.com]. We don't use the chtah email address to collect customer information.

Chtah.com is not Cheetahmail's website, you may have just viewed the source code.

If you have any more concerns about the newsletter service, or would like to be removed from future notifications, please send me a PM (private message) and I will help you out.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Anyone else get a Rogers " Rogers Customer Appreciation Event with a gift for you" ema

RogersErin

Hi boblepp,

The email you received regarding Rogers Customer Appreciation Event is a legitimate newsletter we've sent out to our customers. This is our 4th annual Customer Appreciation Event, which has happened around this time each year for the past four years.

Cheetahmail is our email provider used to distribute the newsletter. This is why the sender email address is Rogers Communications [rogersinternet@rogers.chtah.com]. We don't use the chtah email address to collect customer information.

Chtah.com is not Cheetahmail's website, you may have just viewed the source code.

If you have any more concerns about the newsletter service, or would like to be removed from future notifications, please send me a PM (private message) and I will help you out.

Thanks!

boblepp
I Plan to Stick Around

OK, it's legit. I'll ask just 3 questions to help the user community understand since spurious reply addresses are usually signs of spammers and they'll need to know how Rogers emails look.

1) Why are all the links behind the email text directed to chta.com and not direct to Rogers web pages?

2) Why did the responder last time ask me for the information below? Does Rogers know chta.com when Googled shows as being abused by spammers?

3) If I was phished, and chta.com is reputable, how did my email get into the culprit's hands?

Dear boblepp@rogers.com,
Thank you for your email.
In order for us to provide you accurate information and protect your 
security, we will require additional information.  Please respond to 
this email with the following:
* Your password or pin(if applicable) 
* Your account number
* Your date of birth 
* Your full address
* Your first and last name
We would be happy to review your account once we receive the requested 
information. 
Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.
For future email correspondence with respect to this e-mail, please 
quote reference number 45007736
Regards,
Vanessa D.
Rogers Online Customer Service

RogersErin

Hi boblepp,

Thanks for your questions, I've received all of the emails you sent to forumsupport@rci.rogers.com.

Hope all is well now!

Cheers

boblepp
I Plan to Stick Around
I found the following CheetahMail descripotion to confirm what I felt about the Rogers emails, they are pretty sophisticated tracking tools watching what the recipients do with the content, even tracking who they forward them to.
I doubt many people know how much is being tracked when they click on something in the email.
Oh well.....
... and I got a reply today from the first one wherein I asked for a supervisor to discuss requesting personal password and PIN info by email, I look forward to a  phone call from them. 
Description
  • CheetahMail is a fully featured email marketing service.
  • Free-form SQL queries let you segment lists for advanced targeting and personalization.
  • Tracks open rates, click-throughs and purchases. Campaigns can be optimized for behavioral patterns.
  • CheetahMail hosts forms, preference centers and surveys, provides manual and automatic data sync.
  • Supports plain text and HTML messages, sensing HTML capabilities and optimizing for AOL, too.
  • CheetahMail lets you check the spam score of your mail, links can be updated even after delivery.
  • High speed mail delivery can be throttled, bounces are handled, and timely responses can be ensured.
  • Viral marketing tools let you track and build upon existing customers forwarding messages.
  • Detailed analysis of user behavior across campaigns, purchases, demographic data, and more.
  • CheetahMail can assist with every aspect of email marketing campaigns, from training to creative.
Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation