Any release date for jellybean on Samsung S2 LTE?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Any release date for jellybean on Samsung S2 LTE?

Have 2 S2 LTE phones. One was updated to JB OTA the day it cam out and the other was updated using Kies (because it was still on Gingerbread). The OTA update has no LTE indicator while the Kies updated phone does. Kies was painfull but through trial and mostly error finally got iy to recognize the phone and update.

hints: you need to use an official Samsung USB cable, turn on USB debugging, note that this did not seem to stick and needed to be turned on for each attempt, can't remember if I used USB connect try one or the other if required.

My speeds here in Ottawa on 4G/LTE are 4.41 Mbps dwn and 6.5 Mbps up. When doing a side by side test with both phones (one saying 4G the other LTE) speeds will be pretty much the same.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

For giggles I fired up Kies (which had to be upgraded to version 2.5.2.13021_10 Win 7 64-bit) and it found a firmware update for our phone.  The firmware version number of the update (in Kies) was identical to what was found by Kies on the phone yet it said there was an update to apply.  

I did the update via usb and after about 5 minutes (maybe 10?) it completed.  Once I rebooted I received the LTE network designation and all of my current settings and apps remained intact.

I Plan to Stick Around

looks like they just sent out a tweet saying the update has been fixed and it's live on both OTA and through Kies.

I've Been Here Awhile

Can confirm that using Kies gives you an update that puts the LTE indicator back in, oddly OTA check indicated no update available, firmware # stays the same. 

As above all settings home screens etc remain intact.

I Plan to Stick Around

Now I just have to figure out which step of the process is where I sacrifice the chicken to get Kies to recognize the phone is connected. Releasing this patch with the exact same version number is absolutely horrible coding practice.

I've Been Around

Finally they got it fixed! Updated via Kies as well like other users and LTE is indeed showing. Speeds have not been reduced so I'm a happy camper. Somewhat. Proof: http://i.imgur.com/SEpBVR1.png

Just have to get used to the JB interface. It's a big change...especially that smaller keyboard

I'm Here A Lot

I got the update notification OTA but performed the update via Kies.  LTE is displaying once again, but I still have the same issue with S Planner as I had before (can quick save events but can not save events using the + and Save buttons).  I'll post again if I come up with a solution.

I Plan to Stick Around

There's a really effective Battery Saving mode on this version of Jellybean. You scroll to the left on the top of your notification screen and you can set a battery saving option.

I believe it does what Juice Defender is supposed to do by disconnecting your LTE connection while the phone is idle. Of course if you're streaming or dependant on constant updates from some web based app you wouldn't want to use this, but it's easily turned on and off here.

You'll still need to charge the phone everynight but you likely won't be down the less than 20% before your work day is done.

Other than losing the Google News Widget, I have absolutely no problem with this app. The speeds are as comparable to what they were before, they're just labelled differently.

I Plan to Stick Around

I dont see the update via OTA, but it is there when I go to KIES...Giving it a try now....

I Plan to Stick Around

More quality upgrades......Did the KIES upgrade, appeared to do something (the little grren android man was on screen for quite a while)...Phone restarts and home screen is the same (which i find unusual since all other upgrades have trashed my personal changes to the home screen)....Plug it back into PC and KIES still says it wants to an update....What gives?  Did it do something or not?