cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any release date for jellybean on Samsung S2 LTE?

jflower76
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the S2, and I am anxiously awaiting the jellybean update.....any idea when it will be released?

****Edited Labels****

110 REPLIES 110

Re: Any release date for jellybean on Samsung S2 LTE?

RobbieRobb
I Plan to Stick Around
Hmm...I hope Rogers hasn't updated the firmware AFTER the initial release and rereleased it with the exact same build number. That's awful coding ethic.

@ConstT wrote:

I updated via Kies and have LTE icon.

satdan
I Plan to Stick Around

Go Launcher will replace touchwiz?

Oatmeal25
I Plan to Stick Around

yes it will.  It's quite good too.

RobbieRobb
I Plan to Stick Around

As Oatmeal mentioned it replaces it rather nicely. The ONLY drawback is that you can't easily switch back and forth. Well, you CAN, but you would need to setup your TouchWiz how you want it THEN setup your GO Launcher how you want it. They don't share the same data for shortcut locations etc. (in case I'm not being clear, as I fear I'm not, my phone is all setup through GO Launcher - all my shortcuts and widgets are just where I want them. If I change it so that TouchWiz launches instead there are NO shortcuts or anything other than the default ones provided by Samsung during install)

@satdan wrote:

Go Launcher will replace touchwiz?

AndroidAdam
I Plan to Stick Around

GO Launcher is fantastic. And it's Free to boot! You get some really nice widgets with it as well. The switch widget allows makes turning off your data package very easy if you want to conserve your battery more. 

Last night a downloaded a Jellybean Theme that looks really slick. 

Pogal_2000
I Plan to Stick Around

Re Battery drain issues. I used to get a good 17 hrs of use on LTE with ICS. I use my phone mainly for e-mail every hour or so and texts with the odd you tube video at lunch, face book etc. Downloaded Jelly Bean and now am lucky to get 10hrs out of a charge? Have checked all the battery use items and screen is set to auto with a 1min turn off time. I have even enabled energy saving mode which I never had to use and still only get 10 hrs. Went to a Rogers store tonight to enquire about the issue and they said they could send my phone back to Samsung for repair. My phone is 15 months old and is now not much use if I have to carry a charger everywhere with me. My asus Ultrabook gets 12hrs on a battery charge......... Not sure how to proceed with this. Would love to roll back to ICS and at least be able to use my phone again....Man Frustrated

limmerZ
I've Been Here Awhile

i dont know about GTA, but in vancouver, my 4g speeds are around 22mbps, and my LTE speeds before upgrading to jelly bean were 40+mbps. now i cant even connec to LTE and my speed tests on 4g only top out around 22mbps. so there is definitely no LTE connection here. 4g is NOT LTE.

Tipl
I've Been Here Awhile

Have you all tried resetting your phones to see if the battery drain is fixed? It seems to work for a lot of people

satdan
I Plan to Stick Around

Resetting meaning power off/on or factory reset?  If you mean power off/on yes.

lackoftalent
I Plan to Stick Around

r u talking about resetting the whole phone and wiping everything out, isn't that kinda extreme

RobbieRobb
I Plan to Stick Around

What do you classify 22Mbps as then if not LTE? What were you getting before LTE rolled out in your area? about 7Mbps tops? While it may not be as fast as you were receiving before it is still definitely LTE speeds (just NOWHERE near the max - theoretical or otherwise).

@limmerZ wrote:

i dont know about GTA, but in vancouver, my 4g speeds are around 22mbps, and my LTE speeds before upgrading to jelly bean were 40+mbps. now i cant even connec to LTE and my speed tests on 4g only top out around 22mbps. so there is definitely no LTE connection here. 4g is NOT LTE.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Resetting the phone means doing a factory reset on the phone. Back up everything & then do a factory reset to see what it does then.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello RobbieRobb

My 4G speeds are around 15-28Mbps. LTE Speeds range from 30-70mbps in Scarborough for me. Mind you those speeds are testing on my S2 LTE, S3, iPhone 5 & Black Berry Z10

RobbieRobb
I Plan to Stick Around

That's interesting. I haven't had any other device to compare it against. This leads me to believe that there is something in the 4.1.2 firmware that is restricting the speed of the LTE connection as there isn't a magical new 4th level of data connection - still the same ol' 3G, HSPA+ and LTE that they had prior to this week. Perhaps that was what Samsung was referencing in their tweet promising a speedy resolution.

Thanks for sharing your testing results.

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello RobbieRobb

My 4G speeds are around 15-28Mbps. LTE Speeds range from 30-70mbps in Scarborough for me. Mind you those speeds are testing on my S2 LTE, S3, iPhone 5 & Black Berry Z10

Thanks for waiting patiently. 

@SamsungMobileCA has tweeted the following yesterday:

We're aware RogersBuzz GALAXY S II LTE users are having trouble with the Jelly Bean upgrade. We will update everyone shortly to remedy.

lackoftalent
I Plan to Stick Around

thank you RogerRavi for answering our questions

stever2
I've Been Here Awhile

Have 2 S2 LTE phones. One was updated to JB OTA the day it cam out and the other was updated using Kies (because it was still on Gingerbread). The OTA update has no LTE indicator while the Kies updated phone does. Kies was painfull but through trial and mostly error finally got iy to recognize the phone and update.

hints: you need to use an official Samsung USB cable, turn on USB debugging, note that this did not seem to stick and needed to be turned on for each attempt, can't remember if I used USB connect try one or the other if required.

My speeds here in Ottawa on 4G/LTE are 4.41 Mbps dwn and 6.5 Mbps up. When doing a side by side test with both phones (one saying 4G the other LTE) speeds will be pretty much the same.

Oatmeal25
I Plan to Stick Around

For giggles I fired up Kies (which had to be upgraded to version 2.5.2.13021_10 Win 7 64-bit) and it found a firmware update for our phone.  The firmware version number of the update (in Kies) was identical to what was found by Kies on the phone yet it said there was an update to apply.  

I did the update via usb and after about 5 minutes (maybe 10?) it completed.  Once I rebooted I received the LTE network designation and all of my current settings and apps remained intact.

Oatmeal25
I Plan to Stick Around

looks like they just sent out a tweet saying the update has been fixed and it's live on both OTA and through Kies.

stever2
I've Been Here Awhile

Can confirm that using Kies gives you an update that puts the LTE indicator back in, oddly OTA check indicated no update available, firmware # stays the same. 

As above all settings home screens etc remain intact.

RobbieRobb
I Plan to Stick Around

Now I just have to figure out which step of the process is where I sacrifice the chicken to get Kies to recognize the phone is connected. Releasing this patch with the exact same version number is absolutely horrible coding practice.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats