cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any release date for jellybean on Samsung S2 LTE?

jflower76
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the S2, and I am anxiously awaiting the jellybean update.....any idea when it will be released?

****Edited Labels****

110 REPLIES 110

Re: Any release date for jellybean on Samsung S2 LTE?

Oatmeal25
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm getting similar issues.  I am in Southern Ontario and have not been able to get LTE since upgrading this morning.  I have been able to get 4G but it's like where I used to get LTE I get 4G, 4G is now 3G, and 3G is H+.

I am currently troubleshooting the basics with @RogersHelps on twitter.

AndroidAdam
I Plan to Stick Around

You know what me too. I would normally get LTE where I am right now and I'm only getting 4G.

However since LTE kills your battery so fast this doesn't bother me all that much. 

@Oatmeal25 wrote:

I'm getting similar issues.  I am in Southern Ontario and have not been able to get LTE since upgrading this morning.  I have been able to get 4G but it's like where I used to get LTE I get 4G, 4G is now 3G, and 3G is H+.

@I am currently troubleshooting the basics with @RogersHelps on twitter.

Please let us know what Rogers says!

davidm71
I've Been Here Awhile

I just did this update through kies and it bricked my phone, my warranty was over last month . . i have no phone now . . 

cnlyz
I've Been Around

Same problem here.

Please update what you get from Rogers. Thanks!

RobbieRobb
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think 4.1.2 uses the description "LTE" for the LTE connections. I think it's using "4G" for what used to be LTE. "H+" for what used to be 4G and 3G for 3G. That said, I also noticed a decrease in speed based on speed tests from November of last year after LTE launched here. Today I was only getting 10Mbps down but also getting 10Mbps up. the speedtest website also was indicating that is was an LTE connection even though our phones now say "4G". I'm also in touch with @RogersHelps for clarification on this but I think that's what we'll hear eventually.

Oatmeal25
I Plan to Stick Around

I was getting 4G speedtest.net results.  they had me try out the basics; pull the battery, reset the account's networking from their end followed by a battery pull, and finally a factory reset.

The factory reset may have done it or it may have been a coincidence.  Nothing was conclusive.

Regardless I eventually did get LTE speedtest.net results but the connection status continues to read 4G instead of LTE, must be a change or an oversite.

mktarhini
I've Been Here Awhile

Same problem here. Upgraded to 4.1.2, LTE never showed up.  Called Tech Support 3 times. Tried all the resets, including the Factory reset. and it did not work.  Im only getting 4G.

Let me know guys if you find some other solution.

Thanks

RobbieRobb
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm getting about 15Mbps down and about 10 Mbps up so it's faster than H+ but not as fast as I was getting before (30+)

lackoftalent
I Plan to Stick Around

I like the other guy in this post never updated to ICS, will this be a problem or not, does anyone know

Heard so much bad about ICS never wanted to upgrade to it

AndroidAdam
I Plan to Stick Around
Where I used to get LTE I now get 4G and where I used to get 4G I get 3G or H+.

Perhaps Rogers did this because Jellybean + a Full LTE phone would probably mean the battery would only last for a few hours.

On a phone with a low data limit an LTE connection is sort of an unnecessary frill. It's not like you're streaming Netflix with a 500mb limit.

Count me in as another user who lost LTE. Upgraded OTA yesterday. Had ICS previously and LTE ran fine. Can't get past 4G since.

AndroidAdam
I Plan to Stick Around
In the comments of this story reporting the OTA update people are reporting similar problems.

http://www.android.gs/samsung-galaxy-s2-update/

Interesting that no one from Rogers has come on to explain a reason for this.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello AndroidAdam

Believe me, no Rogers rep will comment on anything like this unless they want too or allowed to. This is the same thing that happens with Rogers all the time.

JDAWG
I've Been Here Awhile

What Rogers calls "LTE", the rest of the world calls 4G, and what Rogers calls 4G, the rest of the world calls 3G. I think this update was simply not tweaked to show Rogers marketing terminology. After the update to Jelly Bean, when my SG2 indicates "4G", it appears to have LTE speed.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello JDAWG

You are way wrong. Telus, Bell, Fido, Virgin, AT&T, T-Mobile, & a few others call it LTE when its LTE. 4G is HSPA+ is most carriers.

You guys do realize that this could be a easy fix for them right? It could have been a glitch that caused this OR Rogers just took it down.

RobbieRobb
I Plan to Stick Around

As I've mentioned before, speedtests seem to indicate that although our phones are stating "4G" it's actually an LTE connection. So where our phones used to say "LTE" they now read "4G". Where they used to say "4G" they now say "H+" and, well 3G is still 3G. If you look at the details for a speedtest.net test it shows the connection type as LTE.

As to why they actually made this change (or didn't make it as the case may be), who knows. But I suspect that the original firmware coming out of Samsung doesn't actually use the term LTE. (just a guess, I haven't gone poking through any code or anything)

AndroidAdam
I Plan to Stick Around
I also did a speed test and I got comparable, if not faster, results on this current 3G/H+ status than I did when I was getting 4G last year. (last time I tested it)
Next time I'm in a traditional LTE area, I'll do a similar test to be sure.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello RobbieRobb

You may be correct. Samsung releases updates showing 4G. The carriers THEN change it to LTE if needed. It could be a mistaken on Rogers end as well. Its not such a big thing for people to complain i find. As long as you are getting LTE speeds, what is the problem?

AndroidAdam
I Plan to Stick Around
Because LTE sounds cool Damnit!!! It honestly doesn't make a difference especially when most people use their phones to post on facebook and do google searches.

What do people think about Google Now, It has the potential to be awesome but I'm not getting to many cards.

JDAWG
I've Been Here Awhile

The network indicators are set to be what the international standards call them. A carrier can change the indicator to show anything they want. Rogers could have it show 5G. This update is simply reflecting the true network standard without Rogers having modded it for their corporate branding. When it says 4G, you're on the only 4G network that exists in Canada, the LTE network.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats