Any release date for jellybean on Samsung S2 LTE?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Any release date for jellybean on Samsung S2 LTE?

I'm getting about 15Mbps down and about 10 Mbps up so it's faster than H+ but not as fast as I was getting before (30+)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I like the other guy in this post never updated to ICS, will this be a problem or not, does anyone know

Heard so much bad about ICS never wanted to upgrade to it

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Where I used to get LTE I now get 4G and where I used to get 4G I get 3G or H+.

Perhaps Rogers did this because Jellybean + a Full LTE phone would probably mean the battery would only last for a few hours.

On a phone with a low data limit an LTE connection is sort of an unnecessary frill. It's not like you're streaming Netflix with a 500mb limit.
I've Been Around

Count me in as another user who lost LTE. Upgraded OTA yesterday. Had ICS previously and LTE ran fine. Can't get past 4G since.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

In the comments of this story reporting the OTA update people are reporting similar problems.

http://www.android.gs/samsung-galaxy-s2-update/

Interesting that no one from Rogers has come on to explain a reason for this.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello AndroidAdam

Believe me, no Rogers rep will comment on anything like this unless they want too or allowed to. This is the same thing that happens with Rogers all the time.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

What Rogers calls "LTE", the rest of the world calls 4G, and what Rogers calls 4G, the rest of the world calls 3G. I think this update was simply not tweaked to show Rogers marketing terminology. After the update to Jelly Bean, when my SG2 indicates "4G", it appears to have LTE speed.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello JDAWG

You are way wrong. Telus, Bell, Fido, Virgin, AT&T, T-Mobile, & a few others call it LTE when its LTE. 4G is HSPA+ is most carriers.

You guys do realize that this could be a easy fix for them right? It could have been a glitch that caused this OR Rogers just took it down.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

As I've mentioned before, speedtests seem to indicate that although our phones are stating "4G" it's actually an LTE connection. So where our phones used to say "LTE" they now read "4G". Where they used to say "4G" they now say "H+" and, well 3G is still 3G. If you look at the details for a speedtest.net test it shows the connection type as LTE.

As to why they actually made this change (or didn't make it as the case may be), who knows. But I suspect that the original firmware coming out of Samsung doesn't actually use the term LTE. (just a guess, I haven't gone poking through any code or anything)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I also did a speed test and I got comparable, if not faster, results on this current 3G/H+ status than I did when I was getting 4G last year. (last time I tested it)
Next time I'm in a traditional LTE area, I'll do a similar test to be sure.