cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any new Window's phone on the horizon?

brandonjbarnard
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Anyone know if Rogers will at any point be getting any new Flagship Windows Phone 8.1 devices? There has been nothing released by Rogers since the Lumia 1020. Neither has there been any news whether or not Rogers will be carrying the HTC One M8. Unsurprisingly they announced dates for  pre orders for the new iPhones within 24 hours of the Apple presentation. I know Windows Phone aren't as popular, but there are still some of us that really enjoy the windows phone and would like to see another high end flagship device. Does Rogers wait until end of September before they reveal what new devices they will be offering on all the different platforms?

***Edited Labels.***

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Any new Window's phone on the horizon?

brandonjbarnard

I agree with you 100%. Rogers has done a terrible job supporting and advertising any of the windows phone products. I just hope that when the new Microsoft Lumia phones come out next year that Rogers will have them available or that I can buy them unlocked through microsoft.com

javatyger
I Plan to Stick Around
Hey Guys, I just wanted to add my two cents and say I love my new Lumia 830 I picked up on Saturday - definitely a worthy device for anyone wanting a Windows Phone, and has the new 8.1 operating system pre-loaded too. I switched from an iPhone 5, so I've been quite happy since the change.
Sure, lots of games and apps are missing from the store compared to apple, but I have an ipad and it compensates for it.

Overall, the Lumia 830 is very fast, had no problems with freezing or stalling randomly, phone call quality is excellent, fast browsing, live tiles and homepage very customizable.
You'll find me when I'm not playing or ref'ing hockey or volleyball.

brandonjbarnard

I'm glad  you made the switch to windows phone! I switched from Apple as well and never had a second thought of going back. I'm glad that the Lumia 830 isn't carrier exclusive and hopefully it will be get into more customers hands and better advertised than the 920.

bindy
I've Been Here Awhile

You can buy the Lumia 930 from OmegaCell located in Edmonton - unlocked. It is one of the Microsoft "Flagship" products. I received mine last week. It was the Thailand CV (Country Variant 000-TH) but I have already flashed the ROM to the United Kingdom CV 000-GB so that I could get the absolute latest firmware and receive the Denim update. I now have "Hey Cortana!" enabled on my phone and can talkto it even when it is locked. This is the best phone Ihave ever owned 🙂 The phone is working really well on a Rogers month-to-month plan and I even get LTE speeds in some areas. See this phone compared to the Applie iPhone 6 and BlackBerry here...

brandonjbarnard
I considered getting the Lumia 930. However it is quite expensive for me at the moment and decided to wait until the windows 10 devices are released. if my device dies I'll just buy a cheap L520 or L635 online until the new flagship comes out. Thanks for your post!

jptbay
I Plan to Stick Around

Gave in and ordered the phone I really wanted. Lumia 1520.3.

brandonjbarnard
I almost pulled the trigger on one of those as well. However I couldn't afford the money. I hope you enjoy it! The phone gets a lot of amazing reviews!

Hi Javatyger

I know this thread is OLD, and there's a good chance you no longer even have your 830.

. . . . but if you do, maybe you can answer a question for me:

Could you tell me model and firmware version on your phone? Was it sold to you through Rogers??

Like you, I recently dumped my iPhone 5 in favor of a (second-hand) Lumia 830. I love this phone! But it's the international version (with firmware that seems to be stopping me from downloading either American or Canadian Language packs. Which means Cortana doesn't work. 

Tech support (Microsoft) can't help; Rogers doesn't have a clue (and to be honest, since I didn't buy the phone from them, I guess it's really not their job to help me get it working)

My phone: RM-984 

Product code: 059W554 RM-984 VAR EURO IT

Firmware: 02177.00000.15184.36004

I think Rogers would have sold Lumia 830 like the one below:

RM-985

Product code: 059W5G2 RM-985 VAR NAM CA ROGERS 

Firmware: 02040.00021.15235.53001

I've been told (unofficially, by various techies) that there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to flash firmware (for RM-985) onto my RM-984. I've also been told that (by other techies) that it could wreck my phone or make some features inoperable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Shane

Hi @shanchri,

Welcome to the Community!

I see you've already contacted Rogers and Microsoft tech support without resolution, have you tried to reach out to the Microsoft Community? There may be more Windows users there who may be able to help you out.

RogersZia

Hello Zia

Thanks for the reply.

I have posted my question in a Microsoft forum as well. No responses. I'm afraid that my model of phone is a bit old and most of the teck-savvy keeners have probably already upgraded to another model.

If I never solve the problem, it's not the end of the world, but it sure would be nice to have a Windows phone where everything worked properly. I'm a bit of a windows mobile booster who is surrounded by iPhone and Android users who think I'm a dope for sticking with Windows. To be honest, the support from Microsoft is not good, so they might be on to something.

Shane

thomasb
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to let people know, the Microsoft Store (Mississauga Square One is closest to me) is a good place to get unlocked Windows Phones. There are some decent higher end phones, including the new Alcatal Idol 4S. There is a sale on the HP Elite X3. The Lumia 950 and 950XL are also available.

I have a Lumia 950XL, unlocked with a Rogers SIM, which I've been running since late 2015. Running Windows 10 Mobile means getting updates generally in sync with Windows 10 desktop. Even though there aren't as many apps, the feature set has grown with the regular updates, and Windows 10 Mobile is now a very reliable operating system.

If I had to get a new Windows Phone, the HP Elite X3 is what I would get today (it's a very rugged and stylish phablet). By the end of 2017 we should have a better sense of what Microsoft is up to, and the rumours are pointing to some sort of foldable tablet that can be a phone, and a tablet (likely with pen), and docked to become a PC. With full Windows moving to mobile ARM chips, this will likely build on the HP Elite X3's 3-in-1 concept.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats