Any new Window's phone on the horizon?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Any new Window's phone on the horizon?

I'll try not to be offensive dannyboi but I think the reason for it not selling well is because of the employees do not know a think about Windows Phone. I'm not saying every employee is oblivious to it but my experience has always been bad. I did a device registration for the Lumia 920. I was so excited since the Lumia 700 was my first Windows Phone. When I came to pick it up the employee asked me questions as to why I would buy this device instead of an iPhone or Android, he was curious. So I told him all the great stuff that you can find on Windows Phone (Live Tiles, HERE Drive, the camera, the simplicity of the operating system but yet the customizability of it.) I've visited another Rogers just to talk and change my plan. So I asked them about Windows Phone, they said they didn't sale any simply because they don't really know how to sell them.

But ya overall it's only because of a mixture of poor marketing and lack of knowledge from the sales people that Windows Phone isn't getting any sales.

Also Cortana in Canada is in Alpha, so it's even worse! 😛

Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I agree with you 100%. Rogers has done a terrible job supporting and advertising any of the windows phone products. I just hope that when the new Microsoft Lumia phones come out next year that Rogers will have them available or that I can buy them unlocked through microsoft.com

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Guys, I just wanted to add my two cents and say I love my new Lumia 830 I picked up on Saturday - definitely a worthy device for anyone wanting a Windows Phone, and has the new 8.1 operating system pre-loaded too. I switched from an iPhone 5, so I've been quite happy since the change.
Sure, lots of games and apps are missing from the store compared to apple, but I have an ipad and it compensates for it.

Overall, the Lumia 830 is very fast, had no problems with freezing or stalling randomly, phone call quality is excellent, fast browsing, live tiles and homepage very customizable.
You'll find me when I'm not playing or ref'ing hockey or volleyball.

Highlighted

I'm glad  you made the switch to windows phone! I switched from Apple as well and never had a second thought of going back. I'm glad that the Lumia 830 isn't carrier exclusive and hopefully it will be get into more customers hands and better advertised than the 920.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

You can buy the Lumia 930 from OmegaCell located in Edmonton - unlocked. It is one of the Microsoft "Flagship" products. I received mine last week. It was the Thailand CV (Country Variant 000-TH) but I have already flashed the ROM to the United Kingdom CV 000-GB so that I could get the absolute latest firmware and receive the Denim update. I now have "Hey Cortana!" enabled on my phone and can talkto it even when it is locked. This is the best phone Ihave ever owned 🙂 The phone is working really well on a Rogers month-to-month plan and I even get LTE speeds in some areas. See this phone compared to the Applie iPhone 6 and BlackBerry here...

Highlighted

I considered getting the Lumia 930. However it is quite expensive for me at the moment and decided to wait until the windows 10 devices are released. if my device dies I'll just buy a cheap L520 or L635 online until the new flagship comes out. Thanks for your post!
I Plan to Stick Around

Gave in and ordered the phone I really wanted. Lumia 1520.3.

Highlighted

I almost pulled the trigger on one of those as well. However I couldn't afford the money. I hope you enjoy it! The phone gets a lot of amazing reviews!
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Javatyger

I know this thread is OLD, and there's a good chance you no longer even have your 830.

. . . . but if you do, maybe you can answer a question for me:

Could you tell me model and firmware version on your phone? Was it sold to you through Rogers??

Like you, I recently dumped my iPhone 5 in favor of a (second-hand) Lumia 830. I love this phone! But it's the international version (with firmware that seems to be stopping me from downloading either American or Canadian Language packs. Which means Cortana doesn't work. 

Tech support (Microsoft) can't help; Rogers doesn't have a clue (and to be honest, since I didn't buy the phone from them, I guess it's really not their job to help me get it working)

My phone: RM-984 

Product code: 059W554 RM-984 VAR EURO IT

Firmware: 02177.00000.15184.36004

I think Rogers would have sold Lumia 830 like the one below:

RM-985

Product code: 059W5G2 RM-985 VAR NAM CA ROGERS 

Firmware: 02040.00021.15235.53001

I've been told (unofficially, by various techies) that there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to flash firmware (for RM-985) onto my RM-984. I've also been told that (by other techies) that it could wreck my phone or make some features inoperable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Shane

Highlighted

Hi @shanchri,

Welcome to the Community!

I see you've already contacted Rogers and Microsoft tech support without resolution, have you tried to reach out to the Microsoft Community? There may be more Windows users there who may be able to help you out.

RogersZia