Any new Portable Internet customers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Any new Portable Internet customers?

I suspect not. Rogers seems to be quietly phasing out its Portable Internet Service.

Why? Even with slow speeds (50-55 kbps), it is the only unlimited bandwidth service left, but only to legacy customers. They want to push the mobile internet stick and rake in more of your hard-earned money with bandwidth limitations and more expensive wireless data plans.

New Portable Internet modems are still on the shelves at Best Buy, but Rogers will avoid activating new customers.

The Portable Internet service offering is hidden (www.rogers.com/portableinternet ) and the monthly rate is higher than what existing customers are paying.

Legacy customers are getting the runaround when they call for technical support.

Is this good business?

*** Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Any new Portable Internet customers?

I Loved portible internet, but I disliked how they didnt provide any upgrades or enhancements to the service. im getting faster speeds and cheaper prices on Cable modem right now...

I've Been Around

I have been a portable user for years and fould it useful when moving to different locations but have recently been considering a basic cable.....but....what is a basic cable anymore?

Should l continue the $55 per month for portable or drop it.....l mostly download movies and email.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just received a notice in the mail from Rogers that they will be discontinuing the Portable Internet service as of March 1, 2012. They want me to me to switch to the Rocket hub so they can charge me exorbitant rates for what amounts to mediocre service. Living in a rural area we have few other options. Rogers already told me months ago that a Rocket hub would be too expensive and costly to use for anything other than mild internet service and email. Forget my son playing xbox live or my daughter viewing youtube. Anything that a city kid would normally do would be cost prohibitive with a Rogers Hub or the Bell equivalent. This is nothing more that extortion by both Rogers and Bell. I already have a Bell hub which I use solely for my work/office connection. No movies, no music just plain email and program maintenance etc via a vpn connection. Even with that I usually go over the 3 gb first tier which takes me from the minimum $45 per month to $55. If I let my son and daughter go online an do what most kids do I will be paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars per month. How do they get away with this. Where's the gov't now. What happened to affordable internet service for all. My tax dollars helped put up those towers for Bell. Why are they allowed to do this?
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

There is a maximum overge of $50 Rogers will charge on the Rocket HUB so your bill should never be > $110/mo.

Still overly expensive but better then nothing.
So: Level 1 - $35 (up to 3 GB) Level 2 - $45 (up to 5 GB) Level 3 - $60 (up to 10 GB) (Overage: $10 per GB over 10 GB up to maximum of $50)

and FYI , I've downloaded music and watched hours of UTube and never exceeded 10G,in facct my total useage since Aug3/2011 is slighly over 34G and that's incudeing some Netflix movies.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

how were u paying $55/mo for portible internet? i was paying way less?

I'm a Senior Advisor

They are no longer quietly phasing it out. It is now official.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/12/rogers-shutting-down-portable-internet-service-and-moving-users-to...

There are interesting discussions to be found at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26649253-Rogers-shutting-down-Portable-Internet-service and http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=149107

It would appear to be another money grab from Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes - very interesting discussions. Interesting to see a post from RogersChris at DSLReports. You would think that if he was going to post, he could at least be honest! 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Another interesting discussion at Digital Home - http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=149107

People are  at  Rogers and deservedly so!

**edited for content

I've Been Around

Unlike you I didn't get a courtesy letter. I found out via a sales call to upsell me to the more expensive rocket hub. When I recently spent over $350  to replace a defective modem, there was no mention of phasing out or turning off the service. Rogers was very happy to take my money for the modem and even sent it out via courier ( which took them four weeks but thats a whole other tale).. I have yet to hear any reason as to WHY they are shutting off the network other than that they can now take my fixed rate/unlimited plan and turn it into a monthly game of financial russian roultette.. Since this is Roger's idea of customer service, this is one customer who will be seeking service elsewhere Thankfully there are now more options available in rural ontario and no I don`t mean dial up.  Good bye Rogers.   Explorer Net, Rural Net, Here I come!