Any need to upgrade my modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Any need to upgrade my modem?

I've had the same modem since we moved in back in 1999 (Motorola 5B5100 Surfboard Cable Modem). I supply my own router so really don't need a Rogers one - I have replace that myself once in the 15 years and can manage it quite effectively.

Given Rogers poor track record with hardware  (e.g., NextBox 2.0 I'm stuck with) I am very reluctant to make change unless there is a clear benefit. I don't experience outages or loss of connectivity.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Any need to upgrade my modem?

If everything is working the way you want it, I would say don't mess with a good thing. Typically, the only circumstance in which you would consider upgrading is if you want the new speeds. Some of Roger's new speeds are only attainable with a certain specification of modem. If you don't need these speed increases, you're fine just the way you are!

L.

I Plan to Stick Around

@DragonsOfWine wrote:

I've had the same modem since we moved in back in 1999 (Motorola 5B5100 Surfboard Cable Modem). I supply my own router so really don't need a Rogers one - I have replace that myself once in the 15 years and can manage it quite effectively.

Given Rogers poor track record with hardware  (e.g., NextBox 2.0 I'm stuck with) I am very reluctant to make change unless there is a clear benefit. I don't experience outages or loss of connectivity.

If you do decide to upgrade definitely avoid the latest "Advanced Wifi Modem". It has massive firmware issues that Rogers has yet to address.

As the first reply says, you're best to just chill out with your 5100 if everything is working as you want. The only caveat to that is that you're probably on a very grandfathered plan as far as speeds go and upgrading to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (the "enhanced" modems) will likely net you faster speeds for the same price.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As well as the USAGE tends to be higher, with the newer plans (vs the grandfathered).  (and yes, we know speed/usage doesnt really restrict via themodem, other than some of the HIGHEST packages, do need D3 modem configurable with 8/4 channels.

You CAN go bridged, so not really change your config around... but again not worth it, if you dont need it.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation