cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antenna Question for Rocket Hub

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Just got 3G10 WVR2 Hub and am quiit impressed. I'm getting (most of the time) > 1.5 Mbps with LOW signal strength (2 bars out of 5).

Thinking an external antenna could increase the signal strength. Know I probably wont get any speed increase 

Question is, two options.

Outdoor antenna and all the intallation hassels or a simple internal antenna.

Are these internal antennas very effective?

Txs

***Edited labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Antenna Question for Rocket Hub

victor1242
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a fairly good signal, since the cell tower is 2 km away and visible from my house. I did purchase and install an antenna from Powertec Canada http://www.powerteccanada.com/store/index.php/featured-products/yagi-antenna-800-900-rocket-hub.html/

It is about $150. It improved signal strength by 30 decibels from -84db to -54db. So you should have more bars, however that may not solve any internet issues that you have. In my case the tower has been diagnosed as heavily congested. The towers provide priority to cell phones and use any left over capacity to handle the internet devices.

victor1242
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a fairly good signal, since the cell tower is 2 km away and visible from my house. I did purchase and install an antenna from Powertec Canada http://www.powerteccanada.com/store/index.php/featured-products/yagi-antenna-800-900-rocket-hub.html/

It is about $150. It improved signal strength by 30 decibels from -84db to -54db. So you should have more bars, however that may not solve any internet issues that you have. In my case the tower has been diagnosed as heavily congested. The towers provide priority to cell phones and use any left over capacity to handle the internet devices.

21mbps
I Plan to Stick Around

i got mine for $85 on ebay, was delivered in 2 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NetComm-3G10WVR-Rogers-Rocket-Hub-External-Yagi-Antenna-/350431047299?pt=LH_Defa...

i'm using it with a 5watt wilson amp and I get a very string signal and low noise, unfortunatly i am also in an area where the service has been grossly oversold and the tower is congested during waking hours.....crazy fast if you want to surf the net at 4 in the morning tho' 

victor1242
I Plan to Stick Around

Good find! I have the same congestion issues. Rogers have confirmed the problem and are working to address it. No time frame. One answer is to add more towers, but that is not a quick solution.

21mbps
I Plan to Stick Around

hey victor, ya it was a good price and it works great with an amp....well at 4 in the morning it works great, lol.  Here we are getting timeouts 6000ms pings and modem going on standby/suspended status all day long, so def congestion issues.  RE the towers, i was told that if its a tower issues in our area it could be 1-2 years to improve....WHY??  Grab some cash and put up some more equipment.  not sure i understand what would take so long, i mean **bleep**,  they should't be able to sell somthing and lock people into a contract for somthing that does'nt even work while most people are awake.  Its Crazy!

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation