Antanae for ZTE MF28B Rocket Hub

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geezer
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Antenna for ZTE MF28B Rocket Hub

Interesting! But since there does not seem to be anywhere to connect an antenna, how do you use it with the ZTE Rocket Hub?
nevdawg
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Antanae for ZTE MF28B Rocket Hub

nh905, does it improve LTE signal or just 3G/4G? The ZTE uses 2600mhz for LTE, but that amplifier seems to only boost 850/1900 signals

spil
I've Been Around

This could be a solution for an external antenna, did anybody tried it ?

http://www.rfconnectionshop.com/products/mm/antenna-amplifier-kit-for-hub-without-external-antenna-p...

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@spil:

I own the Wilson antenna mentioned but I connect it directly to my Ericsson W35 RocketHub.  The antenna works fine.

This solution seems very expensive.  So, for anyone wanting to use this, you might want to verify first that it will indeed resolve your low cell signal strength issues.

What this solution does, is to pick up any and all radio frequency signals in the advertised frequency range.  The amplifier module then boosts/strengthens these signals.  It then retransmits these signals using the patch antenna which is physically positioned up against the ZTE box.  The ZTE box can hopefully get enough clean signal from the retransmitted RF to work properly.  Unfortunately, if there is any radio frequency interference causing you problems because of the weak cell signal, this arrangement would potentially amplify also the interfering signals.

Additionally, the Wilson antenna itself is directional.  This means you can point the antenna at the cell tower you have available to enhance the cell signal strength and quality.  This could help mitigate radio frequency interference problems to a significant extent.

If I needed to resolve this issue, however, I would be tempted to mount the entire ZTE MF28B outside the house/building in a weather-proof plastic box on top of a high enough post or tower.  That would be a lot cheaper than this arrangement.

When dealing with UHF transmission/reception and antennas you need to remember that old hippy philosophy: higher is better!

But, whatever floats your boat............

skinorth

Geezer
I Plan to Stick Around

I would advise against buying this steeply priced option at this time. With LTE networks about to be launched in the 700 MHz band, the ZTE receiver is probably going to be obsolete soon unless Rogers issues a firmware update that would allow the ZTE to receive LTE in the 700 MHz band. I don't see any reference to this antenna system supporting 700 MHz, so for me, buying a nearly $400 addon that will likely be useless within a year is a non-starter.

And, when was the last time Rogers issued any firmware updates for Mobile Internet hardware? (rhetorical question).

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@Geezer:

your point about the lack of firmware updates is in my opinion quite valid.

It should also be noted that there could be other technical issues in the move to the 700 MHz band for a device meant for 2600 MHz.  I would expect that the physical characteristics of an antenna for those two bands would be entirely different given the disparity in frequency/wavelength of the two frequency bands.

As a result, I would be reluctant to believe that a simple firmware update would allow the use of a 2600 MHz device such as the ZTE on the 700 MHz frequency band.

skinorth