cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another "which gateway" question

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

I just read the thread discussing the newest of the new packages and I'm back to being confused.

Thankfully, it appears, I did not buy a gateway from Future Shop before their sale ended last week. Close, though.

I am on Express - an oldie. Right now, I am getting a $15/month promo discount, but that ends in 2 weeks. When it ends, I will be paying $68/month for 25 down, 2 up, 80 cap.

So, if I read the Ignite stuff correctly, I can get the Internet 30 package, giving me 30 down, 5 up and 100 cap for $65 a month, or $3 less than I will be paying otherwise. Seems like a good deal to me.

Now, finally to my question. My rental gateway is the Cisco 3825. I am in bridge mode. My house is wired, so the only use the wireless gets is when my wife connects her tablet for short spins. Is there any advantage at all to moving to the Hitron CGN3 gateway, on the Internet 30 package?

I somewhat understand about my modem having 8 bonded channels down and the Hitron having 24. (I think that's right.), but does that matter at all on the Internet 30 package?

Thanks much for your continuing help.

GW

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Another "which gateway" question

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

According to the website.. for the ignite 30, you need to have the ADVANCED modem.. which is the CGN3.
So to get the new plan, you will have to switch.

If you will be continuing to use it in bridge mode, you should have no problems then at all... the only failings really on the CGN3 stem from its ROUTER functionality.

Please note as well.

To switch to the NEW internet plans, at least at the moment... requires changing/bundling EVERYTHING you have together.
That would mean chaing TV, home phone, etc all over to the NEW stuff as well.

IF you only had the discount on internet... and the rest you were paying regular pricing on.. than the new bundles should be the same if not possibly a little cheaper.

If you did have a discount on TV, etc than you would loose that discount.. and might not be as good of a deal.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

According to the website.. for the ignite 30, you need to have the ADVANCED modem.. which is the CGN3.
So to get the new plan, you will have to switch.

If you will be continuing to use it in bridge mode, you should have no problems then at all... the only failings really on the CGN3 stem from its ROUTER functionality.

Please note as well.

To switch to the NEW internet plans, at least at the moment... requires changing/bundling EVERYTHING you have together.
That would mean chaing TV, home phone, etc all over to the NEW stuff as well.

IF you only had the discount on internet... and the rest you were paying regular pricing on.. than the new bundles should be the same if not possibly a little cheaper.

If you did have a discount on TV, etc than you would loose that discount.. and might not be as good of a deal.

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

Tks yet again, GD

I have no promo on my TV, but I will likely not be able to go the the new package without cost, as the TV package that I have is grandfathered and anything newer costs more. My best option will likely be to accept that increase in cost of my Express internet package for now.

When Spring finally arrives, I can cancel my TV altogether and go with an OTA solution. That way, I'll only have internet with Rogers and I can change then. By then, it's likely Rogers will have changed their packages yet again and who knows what may be available to me.

We are clearly not Rogers target market, and more and more, we are finding ourselves disenfranchised by packages aimed at bigger TV watchers and higher internet users. That's just the way it is. Such is life.

Tks again.

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

Just for information, I went to the Rogers store my neighbourhood. I had the numbers correct. When I lose the promo, I will "save" $3 a month going Internet 30. There is no affect on my TV product.

Also, the guy in the store said that I could stick with the Cisco 3825 gateway. He said that they were "pushing" the Hitron, but that there was no need to change to get the Internet 30 package.

So, unless there is some benefit to going with the Hitron, my plan is to keep what I have, as it seems to be working fine.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Double check.. because many times i have seen the people at the store have the wrong info.
(even more so that online reps).

So far, multiple people here and elsewhere, have been told that it requires switching over the TV and other features.
Not to say, that it might not be the case, or that it can or has changed..

Reall the modem, will depend on the plan codes in the system.
Each plan code, has 'allowed' modems on it.. and if you dont have the right modem, it wont allow them to switch the plan code.

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

Tks, Gd. I will be going to the store on March 25. My promo ends on March 27. I'll know for sure what works and what I can do after that. I'll report back here for the info of others.

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

So far, multiple people here and elsewhere, have been told that it requires switching over the TV and other features.
Not to say, that it might not be the case, or that it can or has changed..

On the first day it came out, I switched my HF250 +unlimited to the Ignite 250u (kept my CGN3) and did not have to change any other part of my bundle (since to do so would have cost me more in the long run). 

That may well mean that I am not getting GCL or the extended Shomi freebie, but I don't use either one so I don't care. But unless the next bill comes and shows that I was lied to, I was able to switch just the internet package and leave the rest alone.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor
While scanning the packages on Rogers web site I see nothing that says anything about having to bundle the TV.

There is under More Promotions an option to bundle Ignite 100u with Basic TV. for the first 3 months on a 2-year term (then $125.47/month).

DRMike, If I'm reading the ads correctly you should be getting GCL and Shomi for 2 years. As I read it the only level those don't apply to is Internet 30

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, i may have to give a call back and find out.

Was re looking at numbers..  i think the first person i talked to may have been wrong.

Looking at my regular TV (with discount), home phone and net....

Vs their NEW bundle with the 100u, 20 home phone, and TV (full price tho), i may only be paying like 5.50 MORE..
BUT.. gaining from 60 to 100 speed wise, unlimited usage, shomi, and GCL..

I am going to have to call back when i get the chance.

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

It will be interesting to see what they tell you Gd. My TV is the lowest of the low package. It is grandfathered and no longer available. It's all I need. I don't need Shomi, as I don't have Xbox of whatever box is needed to stream it. We watch no more than 30 minutes of TV a day. Pretty much all our watching is Netflix with a Wii. All that to say, all I want to do is get the best deal that I can for the service that I am not receiving. As packages keep changing, that gets more and more difficult.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation