Another ham-fisted attempt at traffic shaping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Another ham-fisted attempt at traffic shaping

This wasn't something I tested too much, how many 5GB+ test uploads do you want to do when you have a 250GB limit and regularly exceed it?  I was always in my overage zone so that was costing me $1/GB. I wasn't keen to spend $50 troubleshooting this issue.

The upload would start well and it would use my full bandwidth, which at that time was 1.25MBps (or 10Mbps) until I got to about the 5GB spot.  Then the connection would drop, it would re-establish, start uploading a bit, it would drop, etc.  After a while Filezilla would just give up.  I would try to restart it but I would see the same thing.  But I waited a few hours and thena fter midnight I was able to start the connection and it went fine.  This happened at least twice.

Is it a coincidence?  Maybe, but I doubt it.  I haven't tried to duplicate the issue recently since there are so many issues with the CGN3 to deal with. 

But given my faster upload speed and higher cap on the 250/20 service I might subscribe to something like Backblaze to do cloud backups of my PCs. If that is the case then I will be sending HUGE amounts of data up to the cloud and will really give this a test, but I don't know if these services use FTP or other protocols.