Android users experiencing problems with location services?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wendykh
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Android users experiencing problems with location services?

FTR to add to the "this is a ROGERS issue NOT an unlocked phone issue"... I have an acer liquid e fido branded on a fido account and am having the same GPS drama ever since I upgraded to 2.2 as well. Most unimpressed. As I bought this phone and resigned a contract based on the GPS capability I feel I was mislead and this is false advertising. I either want 2.1 re-loaded on the phone (hence enabling the GPS) or a GPS compatible phone which was what I purchased.

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@wendykh do you have a problem with the 'GPS location service' or the 'wireless networks location service' or both?
The issue we are talking about is only about 'wireless networks location service' not working on Android 2.2 devices connected to the Rogers 3G network.
wendykh
I've Been Here Awhile

Both. My phone has no idea where I am or what is going on.

FanDroid
I've Been Here Awhile

I just purchased an HTC Desire Z running 2.2 from Best Buy. Unlocked the phone and to my surprise my data doesn't work(which im not surprised with; see further in post) and neither does my location services. I got to work and started reading this forum so I wanted to add my issue to this group. Is their any other information that the working group would like?

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi FanDroid,

Welcome to our community forums.

I sent you a PM (private message) in regards to your account and contacts.

Cheers

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Yesterday I took the time to go to a Rogers Store to check out the Samsung Galaxy Tab running Android 2.2.

That's a great peace of hardware but, guess what, location is not working!

So, Rogers is selling a very expensive tablet to their customers without even testing that everything is working?

This location issue is not a customer issue but a Rogers issue.

I understand that Rogers doesn't want to support my unlocked/rooted/hacked Android 2.2 devices.

But, Rogers should fix the location service on the Galaxy Tab! 

(I bet that will fix the issue for everyone)

madballs
I Plan to Stick Around

Exactly.  It is not only the unbranded/unlocket devices.  Rogers' branded Android 2.2 devices are having the same issue.  The funniest thing is that there is only a problem in the Quebec/Ontario region.  Everyone in Central and Western Canada has no problem at all on the Rogers network. 

CanadianNexus
I Plan to Stick Around

Indeed I can confirm that I have tested three Galaxy Tabs in the Toronto area and all three of them cannot figure out their location using the Rogers wireless signal. 

I guess the lack of visibility is a result of the lack of users in Ontario and Quebec using Froyo devices.  Hopefully once the Captivate gets its update others will start to call in.  It's probably a comment on how poor Rogers selection of high end Android devices is as this moment, most devices don't have Froyo even as Gingerbread begins rolling out on Nexus devices.

Hopefully Rogers will get this fixed soon, I am tired of this problem.  If it isn't fixed soon I will likely move to Telus or Bell for mobile and if Bell treats me well I might move everything over to them.

View solution in original post

CanadianNexus
I Plan to Stick Around

Jeeze its been a month now since this problem has showed up... wonder when Rogers/Google is going to try and fix this. 

Shall be interesting to see what happens once more Froyo devices will be rolled out on their network.  Of course by then I will be on Gingerbread! 

Go Nexus One!

ericsamson
I've Been Here Awhile

Still no fix. 

This is crazy.