Android users experiencing problems with location services?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madballs
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Android users experiencing problems with location services?

Hey Mathieu, thanks for the update.  Can you ask your buddy again to see if the Acer Liquid E is still having issues?  If it is, can you ask him/her to call Fido Tech Support when they have some time to spare.  Everyone with this issue on here, XDA and Howard Forum would really appreciate your help.  Thank you very much.

Quantus
I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersErin

Thank you for your reply and for the pointer. I will do as you suggest.

Marak
I've Been Around

My handset is Acer Liquid E (on Rogers)  -- updated last week to Froyo (Android 2.2)...  Cell tower-based location stopped working shortly thereafter.  Without GPS or WiFi, the location reverts to a previously known location (ie. home)

sokee
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm using NexusOne and have the same problem with my location.  It worked fine before the map update.  It now can only find "my location" with WiFi or GPS signal.  I hope Rogers can work on that ASAP.  We have been suffering with this problem for more than 2 weeks already.

sokee
I've Been Here Awhile

by the way, my NexusOne has not been modified.  It only had the updates from Google.

julian22
I've Been Around

I am also experiencing the same problem. Running the most up to date version of Froyo on an unhacked Nexus One.

I never had any issues with this until a few weeks ago.

Please resolve.

CanadianNexus
I Plan to Stick Around

Stock Nexus One here.

After some false hope by the email exchanges with technical support that they might do something I was polittely told after spending 50mins on the phone (after the email guys thought there was an issue and wanted me to call) that location services are device dependent and that I should contact HTC.

I couldn't believe my ears.  It is so something related to Froyo and Rogers I even said that people with Acer Liquid E's and Galaxy Tabs were experiencing a similar issue. (I have confirmed it on two seperate in store Tabs)  It's unfortunate that you can't get a real technical person on the line, I get the feeling that most of the people I am talking with just haven't a clue what I am trying to communicate, run through a simple script and likely take the easiest route to keep their call times within target.

Man would I be pissed if I spent $400 on a Tab and the thing didn't work.  I guess the resolution is up to those who have "Rogers" Devices. 

Good luck.  If this doesn't get resolved in the next little while I will seriously think about moving to Bell.

madballs
I Plan to Stick Around

You know what.  I find it really funny when Rogers don't want to admit that their own products are not working properly.  If it is a HTC issue, then why are the Roger's branded Acer and Samusng Android 2.2 devices not working either?  Smarten up Rogers.  All of the Android 2.2 devices that are having trouble on your network are functioning properly on Bell and Telus.

CanadianNexus
I Plan to Stick Around

@madballs

Thanks for also confirming that another Tab is having a problem.  Seems like on a daily basis more people are bringing the problem forward.  It's too bad that there isn't one place to record the problem or that someone with a better understanding of how Android works to pinpoint the problem.

Sure does seem like its a Froyo/Rogers specific problem that started around November 15th.  I wonder just how much influence Google Maps has on the overall Android framework and location services.  That said we know that the same devices with a Telus or Bell SIM work properly so it can't just be device specific but also how the device interacts with the Device.

For those with a stock Nexus One there is a work around that seems to work.  If you go into Applications and the All tab find Google Services Framework.  Force stop it and clear data and cache.  Reboot the phone.  Services will work but the market will be screwed up (only shows purchased apps).  You can fix the market by downloading a new app and this brings back all the apps downloaded.  Locations services seem to work but....

Google Maps seems to still get confused and revert back to a wifi position or it gets stuck.  The work around here is to use Yelp or open and refresh a Google page in the browser.  Go back to maps and magically your location will be accurate.

ericsamson
I've Been Here Awhile

I just want to add +2 to this problem. Two Nexus Ones, one on Fido and the other on Rogers, both with the exact same problem discussed above. 

Anxiously awaiting a fix for this.