Android users experiencing problems with location services?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CanadianNexus
I Plan to Stick Around

Android users experiencing problems with location services?

Hi there,

I have a stock Nexus One and have noticed recently that location services do not work while connected to the Rogers Network.  What that means is that the browser can't find my location and applications like Google Maps can't either.  My wife has the same stock Nexus (running Froyo 2.2.1) on Telus and there are no problems.

Seems that there are problems with other Android devices on Rogers too, anyone notice this problem? 

Cheers,

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
CanadianNexus
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Android users experiencing problems with location services?

Indeed I can confirm that I have tested three Galaxy Tabs in the Toronto area and all three of them cannot figure out their location using the Rogers wireless signal. 

I guess the lack of visibility is a result of the lack of users in Ontario and Quebec using Froyo devices.  Hopefully once the Captivate gets its update others will start to call in.  It's probably a comment on how poor Rogers selection of high end Android devices is as this moment, most devices don't have Froyo even as Gingerbread begins rolling out on Nexus devices.

Hopefully Rogers will get this fixed soon, I am tired of this problem.  If it isn't fixed soon I will likely move to Telus or Bell for mobile and if Bell treats me well I might move everything over to them.

View solution in original post

All Replies
James
I'm a Senior Contributor

My Rogers branded X10 running 2.1 has no problem with location services, nor has it ever. 

Sounds like it might be an issue with your Nexus One. Have you checked Google's FAQ/Help section to see if this is a known issue for them?

CanadianNexus
I Plan to Stick Around

That's good to know.  Thanks for your reply.  Indeed it seems to be a problem with the Nexus One but others are experiencing it.  I have found threads at XDA developers and Howardchui with people having problems but it seems to be related to unlocked devices.

James
I'm a Senior Contributor

Ah, that would make sense. Well, I hope you manage to find a way to resolve the issue.
RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for the info James!

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have exactly the same issue with my Nexus One.
I'm running a custom ROM but I never had any issue since March 2010.
Did Rogers/Google break location service on unlocked phones on purpose?
CanadianNexus
I Plan to Stick Around

I should mention that I have been running my stock Nexus One since March 2010 as well on Rogers and have not had a problem.  I know it isn't the device as when I put in a Telus SIM it works so this leads me to believe its a problem on the network side.

Can't imagine Rogers doing this intentionally, I have heard rumors that they have been doing network work recently and perhaps something inadvertently had been done.

Hope so otherwise I am taking all of my business else where, mobile, TV, cable internet and home phone. It's bad enough that we will be expected to pay for premium data speeds soon, if they make me pay an extra fee for having an unlocked phone that will definitely make me leave.  It's too bad our market is protected by the CRTC, if we had real competition in Canada I am certain we wouldn't have the highest cell phone bills in the world. 

I contacted Rogers service and the first response is that there is nothing wrong.  Well there is something wrong so I guess I have to escalate. 

Pisidan
I Plan to Stick Around

You mean to BAD the CRTC protects the big 3...its all about the benjamins CRTC most useless organization in canada and should be disbanded and forgtten about!

Rumball
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the exact same problem on my world-wide (non-branded) HTC Desire. It was working fine until about November 14th...then it stopped working.

Doing a factor reset restores network location services until the next soft reset of the device.

Installing a Bell or Telus SIM card into the device also restores network location services.

Installing a new Rogers SIM card does not resolve the issue.

Has Rogers started blocking services to customers that did not by their phone from them?!

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Just to add that one of my friend with the Acer Liquid E (Android 2.2) on Fido is having the same issue.
On the other hand, a friend of mine with the iPhone 4 on Rogers doesn't have the issue.