Android Lollipop Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kinburn
I've Been Here Awhile

Android Lollipop Upgrade

Hi Androidians

There have been a lot of complaints on other forums regarding the upgrade to Android. I wondered if any of the Rogers users had done the upgrade, before I go ahead.

Has anyone done the upgrade to Android 5.0?

Are you on a Nexus?  Nexus 5?

How did the upgrade go?

Any issues during or since the upgrade?

Thanks for sharing. 

***Edited Labels.***

Androidian
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Android Lollipop Upgrade

Hello kinburn

I have upgraded my Nexus 5 to the Lollipop upgrade & so far i have not noticed any issues. Mind you i barely use it but used it a few times after the upgrade & seems better & faster. Battery is somewhat better then before.

Upgrade went pretty good. No issues with that.
kinburn
I've Been Here Awhile

Meowmix, thanks for the reply.

So, it's been a few weeks since Rogers released lollipop to there customers.

Have you any more comments about your usage and recent upgrade?

Cheers ,,, Kinburn

Androidian
sesinger
I've Been Here Awhile

The Rogers Anyplace TV Home Mobile (ON) and the RAPTV Home Edition Tablet (ON) don't work on Lollipop. These are the apps for PVR control. They state the userid or password is wrong even though the same userid and passowrd work through the Web interface or using BB10. The apps need to be updated!

clockwork58
I Plan to Stick Around

Androidian,

What kind of complaints are you referring too that you are reading/hearing about?

Last week my wife upgraded to Lollipop on her Nexus 5 via OTA.

While there were no problems with the update itself, she did have some app issues (Instagram not working)

She didn't like lollipop due to the change in some of the features within it,so since I'm a technical person, I removed lollipop and reloaded kit kat onto her phone and disabled the notification update. 

EhmTeeEhf
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I have updated my Nexus 5 from Google to Lolipop and never had any issues. However in the update there are some things that were not setup by default, and being the tech geek i am i sacrificed my Nexus 5 config and did a complete factory restore (in the interest of seeing what customers would see) and there are alot of differences, the menus look the same but there were a few tweaks i liked seeing, the drop down, when you look at it can be dropped down again to show your connection options and bluetooth and so forth, this did not work on my original update. Lolipop is a big difference from kitkat, menus are totally different and things like cellular data are in different spots.

But its much more user friendly and i recommend a full backup then a complete clean install. Then restore your data with your google account backup 🙂 Oh and remember your APN settings. THey need to be put in if you restart from scratch. When i did the update, there was only my rogers apn and the chatr apn. When i did the clean install it was nice to see pretty much every major US and Canadian apn installed by default. I deleted the additional ones and kept the canadian ones.

Enjoy

probstc
I've Been Here Awhile

Major issues upgrading my Samsung Note 4 to Lollipop

Not sure if you will have the same experience as I just had upon my upgrade of my Note 4 to Lollipop, but right now this is not a sweet upgrade at all!

This morning I was prompted to upgrade to Android 5.01, and once the phone restarted, I received a message that Google Play Services needed to be upgraded because other applications were requesting that it be upgraded.  When I attempt to upgrade Good Play Service, the process just hangs and the upgrade is never downloaded - Epic fail!

Makes me wonder what other suprises are in store for me with the bothched upgrade!

My advice to you - Don't do it!

albertfuller
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Major issues upgrading my Samsung Note 4 to Lollipop

Upgrading an operating sytem is not a trivial task. What I have read in your post does list any big problems, just something you did not like and/or found unexpected. IMO, that in itself is not a sound reason to choose against the OS upgrade.

albertfuller
I've Been Here Awhile

Read many of the Lollipop issues on the web. Did the lollipop upgrade on my Galaxy Note 3.

If thing the startup was an issue: BECAUSE I use Google Now launcher and it was not listed. Picked the Samsung default went into Play Store uninstalled and reinstalled Google Now launcher. On picking my launcher, Google Now launcher is listed as Books! Inside Google Now a folder would not open; so I deleted and recreated it. I then recreated my desktop, including 2 widgets. I also had to update some sync links.

On using lollipop, I immediately notice the speed increase. My apps are running smoothly. My tasker voice commands and other commands are working. Some applications had issues opening on voice command the very first time, but on the second try it worked.

Immediate reaction ... the speed increase impressed me (everything happens more quickly), not that my Note 3 was thought of as slow. I look forward to see if battery life has been improved.

I am definitely enjoying Lollipop ... my Note 3 has definely been refreshed! ... I will be holding on to this puppy a bit longer that I had planned for.

P.S. I am not going to upgrade my wife's Galaxy Note 4, until I have lived with lollipop for 3-4 months.

nwolk
I Plan to Stick Around

I just upgraded my Nexus 4 to Lollipop 5.1.  The most significant change from 5.0 to 5.1 is the battery life.  The life decreases rapidly with 5.1.  I have been to other forums and there are multiple confirmations of this.  Suggested solution which I am trying right now:

1.  Turn off phone when not in use - kind of a no-brainer

2.  Location - if not set to battery-saver mode (high accuracy mode), this could be the culprit.  Make sure it is set to battery saver mode

3.  Uninstalling and re-installing apps that use a lot of battery-life following the upgrade.  The one most often cited is Facebook.

Hopefully the peformance of my phone will improve.  I will follow up.

The most positive thing with the 5.1 update is that on some devices with 5.0, an error would pop up when a voicemail alert was received - something to the effect of that the SIM card was filled.  Upon attempting to delete messages, the messaging app would stop working/crash.  This has been fixed with the update.  You can now delete all the messages from the SIM card and start fresh.