Analog to Digital

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Analog to Digital

Whew! That is a relief. Thanks for the clarification. Now if only Rogers could find a way to retain the ability tape one show while watching another, but I guess that loss is the price of progress.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well they haven't lost that ability they have transisioned that to their Digital set top box PVR's.. or get 2 digital adapters.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Tell us what you are looking to do (ie what devices you have and what you want out of them) and we will tell you how to hook them up and what you will need..

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lets break it down, just to make it clear 🙂

Room A: 

Just a TV (doent matter the type/age).  To have this to work, in the long run, when analog is droped, you will need a DTA (or higher), to be able to watch TV on that one.

Room B: 

A TV and a VCR/DVR.  You have two options for this room.  You can go from the wall, to the DTA, to your VCR/DVR, then from there to your TV.  This will allow you to record stuff, albeit you have to tune to that chanel ahead of time, but you cant schedule and have the VCR/DVR tune like before to any channel.  This should still allow regular TV playthrough, except when you are recording something, you are stuck watching what you are recording.

2nd option for this room, yes, would require multiple DTAs for the one room.  You could set it up, where after the wall, splits to two DTAs.  One dta into the VCR, which is then into the TV, and the other stright into the TV.   This would allow you then to watch something different while the other is recording.

Any other form of device (blueray, dvd player, etc does not need a DTA, only thing that accept incomming TV feeds that you want to use.

Highlighted

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

2nd option for this room, yes, would require multiple DTAs for the one room.  You could set it up, where after the wall, splits to two DTAs.  One dta into the VCR, which is then into the TV, and the other stright into the TV.   This would allow you then to watch something different while the other is recording.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though not an overly convenient  option, it does accopmplish end result  I am looking for.   Thank you.. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your welcome 🙂

I do understand that it's not the most convenient setup ;(

But in the end, cable providers have been the last people to really allow stuff in the old way till now. This is one reason you are hard pressed to find a VCR or Dvr on many shelves, they just can't be used 'properly' anymore. Any satalite or fibre provider, you have been this way since they came out.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Better picture, more channels and far better sound WITHOUT Rogers digital adapter.  Don't trust Rogers, ever!  You may lose the odd [useless] channel, but so what.  Meanwhile they have you paying for it.  Nice system, huh?  Thank the CRTC that allows them to do this.  The staff is completely incompetent; the equipment is designed to fail on home installation so they can charge you some $50 to come out (at least 1 week later) to look at it; Rogers is a rip-off, plain and simple.  Cannot wait until they have some competition - FIBE, please come quickly - at least we'll have choices and just maybe you'll both pull up your socks.  Dare we hope?  Welcome to Canada!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Without a DTA, in the long run, you will loose EVERYTHING.  eventualy, there will be NO, i repeat, NO analog signals on the cable. you will not be able to watch TV there, without a DTA at minimum, or a full digital box.

A few people have said they noticed a bit of an audio issue with the DTAs, but not everyone (my bother has one, and says his is fine)

Depending on your plan, you do not pay ANYTHING.  very basic plans, may yes have to pay for digital outlets.  But many of the plans include these (its actualy cheaper to get the plan, than the seperate digital outlet fees).
Many people dont know, that actualy the # of outlet things, has been around since before the digital boxes were a standard.  It was just never inforced.

I have installed 2 myself, and my brother one, and a friend one.  None of them, have failed on install.  it is possible you got a faulty unit though.
There should be NO charge for the installation.  The ONLY reason rogers charges for comming out that way, is if its the USERS fault.. they put their own extra splitters in somewhere, etc that have screwed up rogers setup from the way they set it up previous times to get the proper signals, etc.  I have had rogers technicians out.. many times, at up to 4 houses.  Even at this house while an issue with a street signal in the end, they would send a tech out, they get here, the signal is good THEN, but would have an issue later that eve.  You would think they would charge for that as a false call.  Never once charged.

Enjoy if you go with a competator.  You do realise, that with any other service, other than cable, up until now, you HAD to get a box for every TV in the house? you never had a choice? 

Highlighted

Is there any indication of when these boxes will be necessay? Does Rogers give us notice or will we just wake up some morning and find that the TV is blank?

My husband picked up four of them last week, but we have not installed them yet and don't plan to until we get some idea of when they will be necessay.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty, don't knock the competitors down, let the customer choose to go with whoever they want to, thats the problem with you guys on here, as soon as someone threatens to leave you and the others that have rogers up their sleeves right away you put the competitors down, competition is Good for everyone,, people should choose who they want to go with and move on if they are not happy with what they are currently getting...

Thanks