cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost half way through 1st Quarter....ICS for sgh-i727?

JRM
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone know when we can download the new Android O/S. Hopefully, it will manage the battery better thatn Gingerbread.

******* Edit labels ********

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Almost half way through 1st Quarter....ICS for sgh-i727?

I think need is a strong word, like or want is better.  That being said I just checked out a few forums.  Both Bell and Telus haven't released their ICS update for the GSII either with early June being bantered around as a time frame. 

Does it suck, sure does. But it looks like we're (all carriers) in the same boat on this one.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Actually Bell and Virgin have released the ICS for SG 2. A few buddies of mine have the bell and virgin one and got the update straight from them a few days ago.. Also MobileSyrup posted it as well.. The update is being released from Bell so i really do not know where you are getting the info from. Here is more info.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/05/03/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-upgrade-to-os-4-0-hitting-virgin-mobile-users-...

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/05/02/bell-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-upgrade-to-android-os-4-0-now-available/

http://mobilesyrup.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74626

http://www.androidauthority.com/bell-starts-rolling-out-ota-android-ics-update-for-the-samsung-galax...

Well 1 out of 3 then.  Still validates my point that Rogers isn't the only carrier not to release it thus not making them the worst.

Know what I do need, more coffee [_]D 😄

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Rogers releases any update for any phone they carry last. Out of the big 3, Rogers will be the last one. Bell is first & then Telus updates the phones & then Rogers. This is an issue going on for years. I know for a fact that the codes they add into the software do not take months to do it. Rogers has millions & they can not invest a bit of that to get some high end people to do the software work. Mind you all the do is add their bloatware & see if the software works with Rogers.

Yea i need coffee too lol

joelaw
I Plan to Stick Around

The reason why Rogers takes a long time to release any update is because it is the lowest priority for them. They don't make any money from it, it is an additional expense for them with no financial gains, thus not important..

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yes but at the same time Rogers will lose many if they do not start taking care of the updates & releasing them on time. I know many that work at companies & they even say the updates should not take this long. Yea Rogers only cares about the money they make, not the money they need to spend to get the customers back & such. Its a big loss but in the end Rogers will notice it hard once people start living.

porkrind
I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix...may I ask if you've done any DIY roms for this phone. I'm seriously thinking about it but it seems quite involved.

Achilles
I'm a Reliable Contributor
@Meowmix wrote:

Rogers releases any update for any phone they carry last. Out of the big 3, Rogers will be the last one. Bell is first & then Telus updates the phones & then Rogers. This is an issue going on for years. I know for a fact that the codes they add into the software do not take months to do it. Rogers has millions & they can not invest a bit of that to get some high end people to do the software work. Mind you all the do is add their bloatware & see if the software works with Rogers.

Yea i need coffee too lol

Actually Rogers has billions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Communications

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Lol thanks for correcting me but what matters is that they can not spend money to hire others to do work and they get people that take their time

NewKID
I Plan to Stick Around

not sure if this has been posted yet but heres a link to something we've all been waitin for. at least we know rogers has it

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/04/30/samsung-canada-says-android-os-4-0-upgrade-will-be-available-today...

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yea its been posted on this & the other 3 threads about it lol

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok..got tired of waiting for an OS update for my phone so I downloaded Windows 8 intead...it's really cool!! LOL I'll have fun with this til my phone updates

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Great article from Telus, about how they inform their customers about updates!
Rogers_? I'll wait for your censorship 😄

http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/telus-puts-its-android-updates-online-for-you-to-drool-over/

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Atleast Telus made the effort to show its customers they care. Rogers on the other hand seems to care about 2 things ONLY.

1. Money
2. How the will release phones first & Exclusively yet not update them as soon as possible.

porkrind
I Plan to Stick Around

Well...my last post was consored but  what I was saying was that Telus learned their lesson re;customer service. Prior to that epiphany they were loosing customers right-left-and center.

shaggyskunk

Website is an example of proactive thinking, instead of leaving the rogers_x twisting in the wind, & referring to the big RED flip chart for the "appropriate" non sequitur response 😛

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Lets keep the discussion on topic and Rogers related.

Further discussion of competitors will be removed/edited.

Thanks, RogersDarrell

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

The need to talk about ROGERS competitors would be nullified if ROGERS would take a simple minute and respond to ROGERS customers and their inquiries. When left to their own devices ROGERS customers start to feel neglected and unimportant. I think that's as on topic as one can expect and I only talked about ROGERS.

ShadNuke
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree. They can try to make the competitors go away by deleting posts, but the reality is, people will head that way if Rogers keeps it up. Personally, I'm with Rogers until the other national provider opens up shop in Manitoba. When that happens, i will go for then unless Rogers decides to do something for the people that line their wallets.

shaggyskunk

I wonder when rogers will TELLus how the update is going.. We are not android VIRGINs & don't want the WIND to be taken out of our sails. I have every "faith" that rogers won't wait for the sound of the BELL, to make this information PUBLIC ^_^

Hello all,

We are not looking to stifle/impede the conversation, only looking to keep it in line with the OP.   We can appreciate how anxious you are to get your hands on the new ICS os and we will make further information available as soon as it is possible.  We do appreciate your contributions to the community and also your continued patience in awaiting the arrival of ICS.

Thanks,

RogersAndrewNP