cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost half way through 1st Quarter....ICS for sgh-i727?

JRM
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone know when we can download the new Android O/S. Hopefully, it will manage the battery better thatn Gingerbread.

******* Edit labels ********

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Almost half way through 1st Quarter....ICS for sgh-i727?

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

@shaggy....your assumptions about which model was being discussed were correct....hence the title of the discussion
I also agree that a flashable ROM hasn't been around for 2 months. I've tried quite a few that were supposedly compatible and weren't. Also a lot of the ROM's use ODIN which isn't compatible with Rogers so that leaves us.....what's the phrase?? ooh yeah waiting in the wind lol

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Actually, there's two roms that have been out for about three weeks... Sky Ice & Silver Ice, both are based on the ICS leak from... About three weeks ago.
As far as Odin, yes it does work on the rogers sgh - i727r... And at least one of the above mentioned roms can be flashed using CWM.
There's also a new CM9 rom, although I haven't checked to see if it's working on rogers...
The CWM recovery is actually based on Tmobile but has been working since the beginning of last December.
In any case, rogers have had the ICS o/s from Samsung for quite some time... If some Devs working on the ICS leak... Without the support of Samsung, OR the considerable resources of rogers, can produce "Daily Use" roms for the phone... What's rogers excuse... Like, really... How much time does it take to add the bloat... That could easily be downloaded later.. In the unlikely event that you wanted it?

They are probably waiting the announcement of the Galaxy SIII before launching the updates.

shaggyskunk

alebel, your probably right... But is rogers even getting the Slll any time soon?
I'm also pretty sure that some people over at Bell are also trying to get an update for yet another gsll..... Samsung kind of dropped the ball when it came to the identification of the GSll variant... IMHO. Let's just hope that there's not going to be another half dozen GSlll versions... K*I*S*S 😉

I've talk with a sell rep at a Rogers Store and he told me that they would get the GSIII at the end of May. Will have to wait and see.

Achilles
I'm a Reliable Contributor

What about the alberta lady?

mbazdell

@shaggyskunk wrote:
Yeah, well... I made the assumption that everyone was talking about the sgh-i727r... Easy enough to do since they were!
The fact that there's about five variations of the sgll certainly doesn't help... That's MY assumption...
YOUR assumption, is that I haven't already flashed an ICS rom... And as for two months... Think again...

For clarity sake, the Bell model is GT-I9100M.

As for me saying "nearly 2 months", the first leak that worked on our phones was 1 month, 2 weeks ago. I stated using ICS a week after the initial leak.

My assumption towards your current ROM, I didn't mean to specify you in particular with my use of "you"; but why nag at Rogers for a ROM if you're already running a custom?

Achilles

@mbazdell wrote:

@shaggyskunk wrote:
Yeah, well... I made the assumption that everyone was talking about the sgh-i727r... Easy enough to do since they were!
The fact that there's about five variations of the sgll certainly doesn't help... That's MY assumption...
YOUR assumption, is that I haven't already flashed an ICS rom... And as for two months... Think again...

For clarity sake, the Bell model is GT-I9100M.

As for me saying "nearly 2 months", the first leak that worked on our phones was 1 month, 2 weeks ago. I stated using ICS a week after the initial leak.

My assumption towards your current ROM, I didn't mean to specify you in particular with my use of "you"; but why nag at Rogers for a ROM if you're already running a custom?

If that was the case nobody would bother sending updates. They'd just say go hack your phone and visit XDA for more info...

Problem is I don't WANT to hack nor root my phone. I'm sticking with the Nexus line from now on.

shaggyskunk

Funny mbazdel, you had an ICS rom before the leak.. Impressive.
Why "nag at rogers", because we're paying for the service! The first stable ICS rom based on the leak came out roughly three weeks ago. But there are still benefits from having the official rom to work with, as opposed to working with a leaked version. 😉

porkrind
I Plan to Stick Around

No to mention ..not all of us are comfortable with DIY updates!

mbazdell

@shaggyskunk wrote:
Funny mbazdel, you had an ICS rom before the leak.. Impressive.
Why "nag at rogers", because we're paying for the service! The first stable ICS rom based on the leak came out roughly three weeks ago. But there are still benefits from having the official rom to work with, as opposed to working with a leaked version. 😉

Actually I didn't. I even made a forum post here about it. You even responded in that forum post.

Sure there are other reasons to have an official support version, but with what is available now, it's just like adding a few neat features (like disabling the LTE) that aren't really that important.

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

I have determined, no matter how technically savvy people on here like to believe they are, how "on the know" they think they might be, no one has a clue when we will be getting this update. Rogers makes no comments on any posts. All their email replies are stock answers...soon. So while I appreciate everyone googling the same searches I have not anyone on here knows any more than I do.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

& no one will know more then anyone to be honest. Everyone just does a search on Google & acts like they know more then everyone else. Some may know but act like they do not. No one knows when Rogers will release the update. Rogers does NOT comment on anything like this like you said.

The only way to find out is when someone posts that they got the update from Rogers OR wait until Rogers updates the phones & you see it.

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, according to my boyfriend, Telus has stated no release of ICS until June.....sometime. So I wouldn't expect Rogers to be any quicker folks

Achilles

@tobesedated wrote:
Well, according to my boyfriend, Telus has stated no release of ICS until June.....sometime. So I wouldn't expect Rogers to be any quicker folks

He's a smart guy. I assume he read that on the Telus website Smiley LOL Nobody really knows...all speculations. I don't really care (kinda gave up) anymore since I got my Galaxy Nexus. I'm loving the no Facebook, no carrier bloatware, updates straight from Google idea.

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

Nice that you got a nexus....I don't have the money to do that lol. No upgrades for 2 years

Achilles

@tobesedated wrote:
Nice that you got a nexus....I don't have the money to do that lol. No upgrades for 2 years

I wonder how much you'd have to pay if you canceled your contract...

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

Considering I just got the phone then end of last November....a lot lol

porkrind
I Plan to Stick Around

I wish I was more into reading "the small print". Seems to me Rogers isn't supporting, via upgrades, their Samsung phones. That should be a contract killer in my mind.

shaggyskunk

Rogers has done a survey about when ics will be released... They're still waiting for the results 😄

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Listen. Rogers will be first to release a phone But will be last to update the phones they carry. This is why I might switch carriers. I rather be with a carrier that will NOT take months to release a update we need..

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?