Almost half way through 1st Quarter....ICS for sgh-i727?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raymondc
I've Been Around

Re: ICS Update for Galaxy S2 LTE

I upgraded my S2 LTE to the official ICS via KIES yesterday. I am in an LTE area, with an LTE plan and an LTE chip.

Since the upgrade, when I am in LTE mode, I can't receive text messages.

I've called Rogers tech support and they suggested I downgrade to the previous version of Android (Like there is an easy option to do that?). They aslo suggested I try factory reset.

The factory reset did not help.

With a vanilla wiped phone, no apps installed, no settings configured, and no Gmail restore or  any other restore of any kind, still can't receive text messages.

After lots of fiddling and testing myself, I figured out that if I am in LTE mode, I can't receive texts.

If I change the phone Network Mode from the default GSM/HSPA/LTE (Auto mode) to GSM/HSPA (Auto mode), text messages work fine. In essence, I've disabled LTE.

I've tried other threads, and have seen issued regaring calls while in LTE mode. That's not my problem. While in LTE mode, I can receive calls (it automatically switches to 4g), and back to LTE when the call is done.

My testing consists of:

Put into GSM/HSPA/LTE (Auto mode)

Wait for data icon to show that I am in LTE. (I have 4 to 5/5 bars of signal btw).

Send text message to myself. Wait up to 5 minutes.

No text messages received.

Put into GSM/HSPA (Auto mode)

Wait for data icon to show that I am in 4g mode (Also 4 to 5/5 bars of signal)

Send text message to myself.

Receive text messages within 1-5 seconds.

Momentairly later, will receive previous messages sent in LTE mode (I number my test messages)

I'm out of ideas. Anyone else have this problem?

I can't have an LTE phone that I must use in 4g mode or forgo text messages.

Rogers' support doesn't help, but I will try this again.

punter1445
I've Been Here Awhile

I don't run ICS on my S2 LTE any longer (I reverted to Gingerbread using a Nandroid Backup I'd made before the converstion). However, a friend of mine is testing ICS again on his S2 LTE, but from a factory reset. He made sure his phone was in LTE and I successfully sent him a text message, which he received right away. He also said he'd been doing a lot of texting today and the phone had been in LTE the entire time.

This means there isn't an inherent problem with the Rogers ICS version for the phone. Something must have gone wrong with your specific installation.

girlonthewing
I've Been Here Awhile

Samsung galaxy s2.. How do I update to ICS? Please, step by step instructions.
Banzai
I've Been Around

A couple tips to help speed things up a little bit:

Go to Settings/Developer options:

1) TURN OFF the animation scales for Window animation and Transition animation.

(This helps make applications/windows/pop ups all appear a little faster.  A lot less annoying and should have no adverse effects.)

2) TURN ON Force GPU rendering.

(This will create less load on the CPU and have the GPU take care of what it's best at. The reason you force this is that some apps have not been optimized for ICS (or are just old) and therefore weren't programmed to take advantage of this feature. This forces the apps to use it.  there is a very small chance that this may create an issue for some app out there. if you have any new performance problems with one of your apps, then just turn this back off. no big deal.)

Cheers!

tag_her
I've Been Around

Lost root rights. And very bad as battery consumption. I mean VERY bad. Was able to complete 2 days and now can't even think about ending the day...

punter1445
I've Been Here Awhile

I can't speak to the battery issue, but rooting ICS on the S2 LTE couldn't be easier. Someone apparently managed to SIGN a copy of Super User specifically for this phone (and ICS). All you need to do is install this version of Super User and you're good to go. No exploits, no risky mods. You can find the file at:

I used it on my phone the two times I installed ICS (though eventually I went back to Gingerbread) and it worked fine. Contrary to the article however, you DO NOT need to install Busy Box unless you find you have a speicif app that really needs it.

**edited for content**

Skyanide
I've Been Here Awhile

I gave up on ICS after a week and a half of **bleep** around trying to get a stable bluetooth connection with by car. I'm back to Gingerbread.

NashEquilibrium
I'm Here A Lot

I drive a 2006 Audi A4 with built-in Bluetooth and the defective connectivity has remained unchanged after upgrading to Android 4.0.4.  The symptom is: contect, disconnect, connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect...     This happens on about a 45-second to one minue cycle.  My BlackBerry Bold 9700 worked perfectly; connected immediately, and stayed connected.  I am disappointed, to say the least!

NashEquilibrium
I'm Here A Lot

Bluetooth does not work with my 2006 Audi.
NashEquilibrium
I'm Here A Lot

@Chuckee - NOPE! Bluetooth is still defective with my car (2006 Audi A4).